Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bad Brakes

Old 07-25-22, 11:08 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Pressure

Just back from the bike shop. They put on new Kool Stop Duel Compound brakes. I haven't had time to test them but boy did I get heavy pressure to get new brakes and a new rim.
( Better gripping, so they said.) I've never had so much pressure from a shop to buy MORE!! "Look", said the head mechanic. "If money is tight, we can do payment plan!" Holy Pete!!! I don't know if I trust these guys'. I think they're see a cash cow in me. What do you think?
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 07-25-22, 11:17 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Just back from the bike shop. They put on new Kool Stop Duel Compound brakes. I haven't had time to test them but boy did I get heavy pressure to get new brakes and a new rim. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyv905Q2omU ( Better gripping, so they said.) I've never had so much pressure from a shop to buy MORE!! "Look", said the head mechanic. "If money is tight, we can do payment plan!" Holy Pete!!! I don't know if I trust these guys'. I think they're see a cash cow in me. What do you think?
What is the condition of the brake surface of the rim? If it looks okay, and isn't worn, disregard their suggestion.
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-25-22, 12:02 PM
Colorado Kid

Rims are like brand new. Very low miles on them. I put on Araya 700C, 32 hole, 3X and lanced up last year. (When I did the rebuild.)
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 07-25-22, 12:41 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,764 Posts
See if the shoes help. Maybe you'll feel a difference.

I installed a set of black and a set of salmon Kool Stops in appropriate holders, so I can swap them out easily, but haven't had a chance to test them. Other than feel at the lever, I'm not sure how to really conduct a true test (I installed some Scott Matthauser pads a few weeks ago and they were just really spongy-feeling). I don't want to spend time pedaling up to a certain speed, then applying the brakes at a given point to see how far it takes me to stop with different pads installed. That seems like a bit of a PITA.
Old 07-25-22, 06:47 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Rims are like brand new. Very low miles on them. I put on Araya 700C, 32 hole, 3X and lanced up last year. (When I did the rebuild.)
Then definitely ignore them. You would be better off spending the money on new brakes, though I doubt it will be necessary. The pads should help. Let them bed in and see how they are.
Old 07-26-22, 10:29 AM
Colorado Kid

New pads did the trick. I sanded the rims too, (Just in case.) The bike runs like brand new. Thanks everyone.
Likes For Colorado Kid:
Old 08-13-22, 12:01 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
I did a couple 39 mph brake tests with my 2 SA drum brakes roadster bike. Where the road is flat after a short steep hill.
Stopped in 6 or 7 turns of the 700x36c tire. 42 to 46 feet. Anybody beat that?? , or NOT. LOL.