Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

What did you just buy for your fat bike?

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 02-01-20, 11:55 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts

I've seen these posts on a few other sections, but I don't see one for fat bike. As I am sitting here waiting for USPS to show up with my stuff I figured I would kill some time and start one of these threads here.

What am I waiting for?
  • Box One 11 speed drivetrain 11-46T
  • Raceface 30T narrow/wide chainring

In tomorrow's mail (Amazon Prime Sunday delivery - yippee!)
  • Crank puller - because I thought my Raceface crank was self extracting, but I was wrong
*note: I do my best to support my LBS when I can, but he is closed for winter.

edit: it arrived!

Last edited by medic75; 02-01-20 at 03:58 PM.
Likes For medic75:
Old 02-01-20, 09:57 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I've recently added:

Cheap dropper post to test the concept.
11-42 10speed cassette to replace stock 11-36. Straight swap and no need to mess with the rear derailer.
Chester pedals to replace Specialized stock plastic ones.
Pogies for winter.
Fabric brand rubber saddle for winter to preserve my Brooks B67.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 02-03-20, 07:56 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by medic75
I've seen these posts on a few other sections, but I don't see one for fat bike. As I am sitting here waiting for USPS to show up with my stuff I figured I would kill some time and start one of these threads here.

What am I waiting for?
  • Box One 11 speed drivetrain 11-46T
  • Raceface 30T narrow/wide chainring

In tomorrow's mail (Amazon Prime Sunday delivery - yippee!)
  • Crank puller - because I thought my Raceface crank was self extracting, but I was wrong
*note: I do my best to support my LBS when I can, but he is closed for winter.

edit: it arrived!

nice choice, you can wear mitts and still shift.
Can I ask where you found them? since V2 came out I expected the V1s to drop in price, but haven't really, guessing since they are a completely different design?
Old 02-03-20, 07:59 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I've recently added:

Cheap dropper post to test the concept.
11-42 10speed cassette to replace stock 11-36. Straight swap and no need to mess with the rear derailer.
Chester pedals to replace Specialized stock plastic ones.
Pogies for winter.
Fabric brand rubber saddle for winter to preserve my Brooks B67.
which crank do you have? Many of us are moving towards tiny chainrings 28 and 30. Direct mounts are game changers for this reason.
Old 02-03-20, 09:59 AM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by qclabrat
which crank do you have? Many of us are moving towards tiny chainrings 28 and 30. Direct mounts are game changers for this reason.
36/22. I won't mess with it until something breaks. The rear derailer for the cassette swap was an SRAM X5 long cage.
Old 02-03-20, 12:56 PM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
nice choice, you can wear mitts and still shift.
Can I ask where you found them? since V2 came out I expected the V1s to drop in price, but haven't really, guessing since they are a completely different design?
Velomine. They have them on closeout with the twin lever Shimano style shifter (thumb to shift down up to 5 gears & thumb or index finger to shift up). $129 for the wide groupset and $159 for the x-wide groupset. At that price I am seriously considering getting an x-wide just to have in case I ever decide to upgrade the M6000 on my Trek Stache. The Box Two stuff is supposedly a step down in materials & a step up in weight from the Box One - similar to Sram NX & GX or Shimano SLX & XT.

Last edited by medic75; 02-03-20 at 02:19 PM.
Likes For medic75:
Old 02-03-20, 11:52 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 343 Posts
I bought a gel seat cover. I recently replaced my saddle with a Selle Italia Nepal. Read great reviews and was on sale for a great price. Well, the saddle is hard as rock and too stiff for the terrain I ride. Instead of replacing it, let's see if a gel cover helps.
Old 02-04-20, 02:37 PM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by medic75
Velomine. They have them on closeout with the twin lever Shimano style shifter (thumb to shift down up to 5 gears & thumb or index finger to shift up). $129 for the wide groupset and $159 for the x-wide groupset. At that price I am seriously considering getting an x-wide just to have in case I ever decide to upgrade the M6000 on my Trek Stache. The Box Two stuff is supposedly a step down in materials & a step up in weight from the Box One - similar to Sram NX & GX or Shimano SLX & XT.
thanks, just got the x-wide group, carbon bars and new wheels
Likes For qclabrat:
Old 02-11-20, 09:54 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
1)Kryptonite New York 1210 chain and Evolution 4 disc lock
2)Krytonite Evolution 4LS U-lock

I didn't want my new bike stolen.
Old 02-11-20, 12:59 PM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by Daniel4
1)Kryptonite New York 1210 chain and Evolution 4 disc lock
2)Krytonite Evolution 4LS U-lock

I didn't want my new bike stolen.
good choices, but the best protection is to lock it up where there are lots of traffic and people, and never overnight
Nothing out there can stop a cordless angle grinder nowadays. I got my kid a 10mm hardened steel chain along with a moto lock for his bike at college. Its only for overnight lockup near the dorm as the chain alone must weigh 12 pounds.
Old 02-12-20, 11:35 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
good choices, but the best protection is to lock it up where there are lots of traffic and people, and never overnight
Nothing out there can stop a cordless angle grinder nowadays. I got my kid a 10mm hardened steel chain along with a moto lock for his bike at college. Its only for overnight lockup near the dorm as the chain alone must weigh 12 pounds.
The problem with fat bikes is that there aren't a lot of choices for locking the bike. A normal size u-lock that will go through the rear spokes and the seat tube just won't fit a fat bike. Hence, the chain and not a dinky one either. 12mm is a good balance between weight and thickness.

The Krytonite Evolution 4LS U-lock has longer arms but can only be used to lock the front wheel to the downtube.

Last edited by Daniel4; 02-12-20 at 11:39 AM.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 03-16-20, 07:38 AM
Carl J

Bikes: 2016 Trek Farley 9.6, 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Road), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired), 2016 Kona Wo (Retired)

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 17 Posts
AbsoluteBlack 1x 32t Oval (going from a 22/36t)
SRAM GX1 11-42t 11sp (going from a SLX 11-35t 10sp)
SRAM GX Shifters and Derailleur (up from a SLX)

Brought all of that and the bike into the shop on Friday to get swapped over .... and then went and bought a whole new bike yesterday
Old 03-17-20, 08:30 AM
Happy Feet

I wouldn't think of locking a fat bike for very long out of sight. In my mind they are too much a hot ticket item to steal. Either for the bike or parts or for people who flip them into ebikes with kits.
Old 03-17-20, 08:43 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by Carl J
AbsoluteBlack 1x 32t Oval (going from a 22/36t)
SRAM GX1 11-42t 11sp (going from a SLX 11-35t 10sp)
SRAM GX Shifters and Derailleur (up from a SLX)

Brought all of that and the bike into the shop on Friday to get swapped over .... and then went and bought a whole new bike yesterday
I almost did that the other day. Recently finished the new Fatback with 26" wheels and just got the 27.5" rims for a new wheel build.
Then my friend decides to sell his SWorks Fatboy...
Luckily I hate selling bike more than anything else. So, reluctantly I passed and keeping the old OnOne Fatty as the fair weather backup.
Old 03-17-20, 10:08 AM
Carl J

Bikes: 2016 Trek Farley 9.6, 2016 Felt V85 (Gravel), 2017 Spherik SRU (Road), 2017 Giant ToughRoad SLR 2 (Retired), 2016 Kona Wo (Retired)

I almost did that the other day. Recently finished the new Fatback with 26" wheels and just got the 27.5" rims for a new wheel build.
Then my friend decides to sell his SWorks Fatboy...
Luckily I hate selling bike more than anything else. So, reluctantly I passed and keeping the old OnOne Fatty as the fair weather backup.
Oh, I am so not going to like trying to sell the Wo. No matter what I've tried to sell, I get the most ridiculous offers (and love it when they tell me that's all they can afford, as their reason for the low ball offer)

So no go with the Fatboy? I don't know much about the Faboy's in general, especially the S-Works version. But it must have been a not so easy decision.

I'm trying to justify my purchase with the cost of rims + 2x set of tires would be (hopefully) more than this bike - selling price of the Wo.
Old 03-17-20, 10:15 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by Carl J
Oh, I am so not going to like trying to sell the Wo. No matter what I've tried to sell, I get the most ridiculous offers (and love it when they tell me that's all they can afford, as their reason for the low ball offer)

So no go with the Fatboy? I don't know much about the Faboy's in general, especially the S-Works version. But it must have been a not so easy decision.

I'm trying to justify my purchase with the cost of rims + 2x set of tires would be (hopefully) more than this bike - selling price of the Wo.
He's sponsored by Specialized so gets a new bike every year. It's his race bike, so only been to events over 3 years. The bike's been rock solid, taken him through 3 Iditarod fatbike races with no issues. When not doing extreme races, he was able to get the complete bike at around 19 pounds. I'd never have the coins to get that low, but I also don't need a new project with 3 of my bike's brakes literally screaming for a servicing.
Old 03-18-20, 08:57 AM
Carl J

He's sponsored by Specialized so gets a new bike every year. It's his race bike, so only been to events over 3 years. The bike's been rock solid, taken him through 3 Iditarod fatbike races with no issues. When not doing extreme races, he was able to get the complete bike at around 19 pounds. I'd never have the coins to get that low, but I also don't need a new project with 3 of my bike's brakes literally screaming for a servicing.
19lbs? Wow! My Gravel bike (Felt V85) is about 22lbs with carbon fork and seatpost. This Farley is said to be about 27lbs (will have to weight it vs the Wo, which is probably closer to 35lbs).
Not too concerned about the weight on the Farley, but if I were to ever want to lighten it up, not sure what I could do, other than carbon wheels
Old 08-10-20, 12:12 PM
striker65

Bikes: Mongoose Dolomite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts
Switched out bmx handlebars for ape hanger bars. My back was aching from being hunched over, now I sit upright. I cruise on neighborhood streets, 5 miles every day, in fact last week I hit 7,000 miles. I ride a Mongoose Dolomite and I'll be 69 next month.
Likes For striker65:
Old 08-12-20, 02:25 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I talked to my shop about building a new wheel for my Pug. The current double walled large marge with a Nuvinci Hub is getting tired. I am was thinking 27.5 x 2.5 with a 10 speed out back. He found a takeoff wheel in the back from a Timberjack that he is going to try and dish over. He said he can get me 10 speed SRAM shifter and derailleur, the Shimano XT that I had in mind is out of stock right now. I was doing some guestimating, and even if it won't dish to center, it should still work.
Old 08-12-20, 02:33 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Just ordered a pair of rims to build up offseason (non winter) tires for my Salsa Beargrease. 29" Spank Oozy 345 in red.

Old 09-14-20, 07:04 PM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by revcp
Just ordered a pair of rims to build up offseason (non winter) tires for my Salsa Beargrease. 29" Spank Oozy 345 in red.

what size 29" tires are you going with?
Old 09-23-20, 10:36 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
what size 29" tires are you going with?

I think 2.5" or 2.6". That should roll well on gravel while also giving a bit of cushion and flex on trail.
Old 10-29-20, 01:47 AM
Sembikes
Sembikes

Bikes: AM/XC

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fat bike handlebar, wheelset, and belong carrying...
Old 10-29-20, 06:14 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
For this season I finally swapped my 2014 ICT's 2by with a sram eagle gx 10-52. It rides great and I managed to trip and land on the bike, derailleur to the ground (oops) - it is still good but it chatted a little in a couple of gears. I will adjust it if it gets an worse.

My second bike 2014 Beargrease is also undergoing a drivetrain change. I changed the bottom bracket and added a sram xx1 crankset and I am currently waiting for the arrival of xx1 cassette, shifter and derailleur that I ordered a week ago.
Old 12-08-20, 04:55 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
The last thing I bought for my fat bike was a Surly Nate for my rear tire a couple of months ago.

Next I'm going refurbish my drivetrain with parts I already have, and try not to buy anything else for it for a while.

Mine's a 9 speed. I want to make it a 1x9. Might suffer chain drop, since I'll ditch the front mech, and won't spring for a narrow-wide CR. Maybe I can rig some sort of chain keeper. If I have to, I could get a cheap plastic one maybe, or a drop stop if applicable. Cross that bridge later.

Already at budget with other bike needs, so going spartan on the fat bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.