Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Speedplay discontinuing gravel/MTB pedals

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-20, 09:16 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts

Since I live in a cave, I just realized that Wahoo/Speedplay discontinued all gravel and MTB pedals. I use the Frogs on several bikes but need new cleats. I cannot find any and Wahoo customer service said that there are no plans to restock anything or resupply anything related to gravel/MTB. That is a pretty crappy thing to do to those of us who have used their products for so long. I can't even find cleats. They could have at least supplied cleats for a couple of years so we could stock up. I have tried all the other pedals but the Frogs are easy on my bio-mechanically messed up legs. Everything else (even flats with pins) eventually start to hurt my IT Band and knees to where I can hardly walk up/down stairs for two days.

I feel bad having just bought a Wahoo Kickr Smart Trainer. I now wish I had bough a Tacx. I guess my venting is over.
Old 12-16-20, 01:50 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
FWIW, the Speedplay web page is showing Frogs again -- they'd been missing for about two years, IIRC.

I know it doesn't help with your cleat need, since there's no telling when or if those'll be back in stock. Without the Speedplay prickliness, perhaps they'll end up being more widely available. Someday.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 12-16-20, 02:09 PM
SpectrumTi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
I couldn’t find x-series cleats for awhile. Out of stock everywhere and, of course, the x-series was largely replaced by the zero’s long ago. Anyhow, they eventually showed up again and I now have 3 sets in reserve. Keep the faith.
Likes For SpectrumTi:
Old 12-16-20, 06:52 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

I managed to reach customer service. They said no more Frogs or Syzrs. No more parts or cleats either. Well damn!
Old 12-17-20, 01:15 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
I managed to reach customer service. They said no more Frogs or Syzrs. No more parts or cleats either. Well damn!
I bought up my LBS's entire stock of Frog cleats earlier in the year. Both pairs!
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 12-17-20, 08:03 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Bummer. I've been collecting cleats for a while, so I've probably got enough for another year or two. Most of what you need to rebuild the pedals can be bought elsewhere. You may have to pay fleabay prices for cleats, pedal bodies or axles, though.

I think I've got an extra pair of Frogs NIB. I wonder if it'd be worth more to me for the cleat, or more as a set sold on the 'bay?
Old 12-17-20, 08:38 AM
Chandne

We had a baby so I have been living under a rock this past year or I would have been one of the first to pick up some new pedals and cleats. I better start lubing the pedals and cleats before each ride, and clean/grease the axles and bearings more often. I need to make them last as long as possible. Wahoo has really annoyed me. Not that it matters to them but they should have at least produced cleats for a couple of years while letting people stock up. I'll have to move to flats eventually but even they hurt my left legs especially, since the pins hold my foot in place so well. That is a mountain biking issue, of course.