Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Calibrating Nostalgia...

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Calibrating Nostalgia...

Old 10-03-21, 08:38 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Calibrating Nostalgia...

Before my 28-year commute ended last winter, I had one route that I used to check the calibration of my bike computer. That route was 8.6 miles from my shed to the office door.

Last spring I bought a used 2007 Dahon Boardwalk 7-speed folding bike with 20" wheels. I upgraded the gearing and gave it bull-horn bars to approximate an on-the-brake-hoods riding position. With the higher gearing and more aggressive riding attitude I was averaging 11.5 mph; consistent with my MTB-based commuter, but down from the 13.5 of my 2015 Charge Plug commuter, and 13.8 of my 1984 Nishiki International 12-speed.

Friday I upgraded the tires from the heavy, cheap used tires I bought just to get rolling, to a new pair of Schwalbe Marathon Racers I bought at a Local Bike Shop.

After using a measured roll-out to calibrate the speedometer/computer I went for a short ride in the neighborhood and averaged 13.5 mph...up 2 mph from the old tires, and consistent with my two road bike commuters.

I thought maybe the calibration was off, so yesterday I measured again and got a slightly different number. Then I rode my old stand-by calibration route to the old office.

Along sections of the old familiar route, the speedometer was showing me speeds that fell in line with those of my two road bikes. 38 minutes later, (again, right on the money) I rolled up to the old parking lot, just as the odometer went from 8.5 miles to 8.6 miles...perfectly calibrated!

The Boardwalk (with its modifications) would have been a great bike for my commute, although I never bought a folder since I was fortunate enough to have indoor parking for my bikes at the old office.

I never thought calibrating a speedometer would involve the bittersweetness of nostaligia; but then, I never thought my commuting days would ever end.

Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-07-22, 06:22 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Update...Started new job 3 weeks ago. Six mile commute with option for 7 and more. Have been using the Boardwalk in the mix!