Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Which mini-pump for gravel tires?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Which mini-pump for gravel tires?

Old 07-18-22, 06:43 AM
fotooutdoors

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, One-One Inbred 29er, Blue Norcross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
It would be interesting to have someone try this out to see how accurate it is. The slider type gauges I have used like this in the past tended to jump around 5 - 7 PSI on each stroke. I really like the digital gauge on the pump mentioned above because it steadily rises in pressure as you pump with just very small fluctuations.
The reality is that there are pressure fluctuations at the pressure gauge as you pump, so the jumping around accurately portrays what is happening. As you pump, the pressure in the pump body (where the gauge sits) exceeds the pressure in the tire, so air flows to the tire. There is energy (observed as pressure differential) lost as air flows in the hose and especially through the valve, so it takes some time for the pressure on the pump and tire sides to equalize. As air flows from the pump, the pressure in the pump decreases (remember PV=nRT from general chemistry?). If you had a separate pressure gauge on a second tire valve, you would see pressure rise as you pumped, but it would never overshoot the pressure that you observe at rest between strokes.
Old 07-18-22, 11:36 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by fotooutdoors
The reality is that there are pressure fluctuations at the pressure gauge as you pump, so the jumping around accurately portrays what is happening. As you pump, the pressure in the pump body (where the gauge sits) exceeds the pressure in the tire, so air flows to the tire. There is energy (observed as pressure differential) lost as air flows in the hose and especially through the valve, so it takes some time for the pressure on the pump and tire sides to equalize. As air flows from the pump, the pressure in the pump decreases (remember PV=nRT from general chemistry?). If you had a separate pressure gauge on a second tire valve, you would see pressure rise as you pumped, but it would never overshoot the pressure that you observe at rest between strokes.
Sorry, I did not add enough detail. In my experience with the linear gauges on the Road Morph, they land at a varying pressures (up and down) after the stroke is completed, not just as the pump stroke is occurring. In contrast the gauge on the Lezyne rises slowly and steadily at the end of each pump stroke and the final pressure reading is repeatable by the pump within about a PSI if you reatach the hose and resume pumping. We also have verified the pressure reading for accuracy with a handheld digital gauge (Lyzend brand, forget the model). Granted if you finesse the linear gauge on the Road Morph by slowly finishing the pump stroke it will jump around less, but with this technique you can also get the linear gauge to stay at the same pressure for 4 strokes or more in a row due to the stickiness of the gauge. After many years with many pumps I just found the Lezyne is easier to use, very rugged and much more consistent for pressure. We organize a lot of group gravel rides and use the pump on most rides for at least one rider and have found the cost of the Lezyne is worth it to us.
Old 08-23-22, 11:47 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
I took in all the advice in this thread, and never made a decision. Then, today, I got a promo email from Silca about a new product, and immediately ordered it:

https://silca.cc/collections/frame-p...lero-mini-pump

If it truly combines the robustness of the Tattico with higher volume, it should tick all my boxes.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-31-22, 10:55 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Thought I'd come back here with a little feedback on the Silca Gravelero mini-pump, now that I've had it for about a week -- and had to try it out on its maiden voyage.

Compared to the Silca Tattico, in which it is based, the Gravelero is exactly the same length and uses the same hose and clamping valve assembly; the Gravelero is fatter (hence the higher air volume), has a smooth exterior (rather than the Tattico's texture, which picks up - and holds onto -dirt), and is a little lighter -- mine weighed in at 143g. The mounting bracket is relatively beefy and secure.

The one issue I have with the Gravelero is that the rubber cap, which fits over the business end, is tiny -- it really only covers the end of the valve assembly, rather than the whole top of the pump (as on the Tattico). This seems like a nice way for dirt to get in there. Don't know why Silca changed that.

In use, the pump performed exactly as expected: I got a tire cut that would not initially seal completely with Orange Seal, so I pumped it up a bit and rode home. Took fewer pumps than it would've with the Tattico.
Likes For Koyote: