Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

No Cleat Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-22, 12:37 PM
EGBigelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
No Cleat Shoes

When I ride my road bike I'm using clipless. I picked up a Giant Revolt 2 just to do some different type if riding on different roads. I want to stay casual, so no kit and not clipless shoes. I just want to jump on and ride. Does anyone have suggestions for decent flat bottom shoes (I'm using RaceFace Chesters for the pedals) that are still comfortable for walking? I see Five Ten has some, but no retailer in my area sells them, and I want to try them on first. Plus I think they would be stiff for walking.

I'm currently wearing Hoka One One running shoes, but they are pretty spongy and not good for efficiency. So maybe a low top basketball style shoe? What's everyone here wearing that are riding with flats and not clipless?
Old 07-01-22, 12:42 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Get these.

Old 07-01-22, 01:00 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by EGBigelo
What's everyone here wearing that are riding with flats and not clipless?
Trail running shoes. Something like this, with a thicker sole than traditional road-running shoes.

I ride MKS Sylvan Touring and MKS BM-7 pedals with no sharp pins to tear up the soles.
Likes For Squeeze:
Old 07-01-22, 01:07 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
510s aren't the cool guy shoes anymore believe the cool guys are switching over to Ride Concepts
I just bought a pair of 510 kestrels but mine are clipless.
Old 07-01-22, 01:09 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,051 Times in 1,173 Posts
A lot of SPD mt. bike shoes have a solid cover that you remove to use the SPD cleats, but you can certainly use these shoes with the covers still in place. Dedicated bike shoes will be a bit more stiff and better for your feet then running shoes and the like.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 07-01-22, 01:15 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Five Ten Freeriders
Old 07-01-22, 01:37 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Five Ten Freeriders
Maybe suggest something else, as the OP stated "I see Five Ten has some, but no retailer in my area sells them, and I want to try them on first.".
Old 07-01-22, 01:40 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Order your Five Tens from Zappos.com, who offers free returns. Get them in two sizes -- one in your regular size, and one a half-size larger. You'll probably go with the larger ones. Return the other pair.

IMO, there's simply no better flat-pedal shoe out there.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 07-01-22, 01:44 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Maybe suggest something else, as the OP stated "I see Five Ten has some, but no retailer in my area sells them, and I want to try them on first.".
Sometimes, you don't get everything in life that you "want". Five Ten Feeriders are far superior than anything else suggested thus far. Not going the extra mile to get the best tool for the job because it isn't locally available is ..........
Old 07-01-22, 05:55 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Sometimes, you don't get everything in life that you "want". Five Ten Feeriders are far superior than anything else suggested thus far. Not going the extra mile to get the best tool for the job because it isn't locally available is ..........
I tend to agree. I would just order 2-3 pairs in different sizes online and see if anything fits,
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 07-01-22, 08:27 PM
EGBigelo

Originally Posted by Steve B.
A lot of SPD mt. bike shoes have a solid cover that you remove to use the SPD cleats, but you can certainly use these shoes with the covers still in place. Dedicated bike shoes will be a bit more stiff and better for your feet then running shoes and the like.
I didn't want to go clipless, but this might not be a bad option. I can just keep the cover on, and if I decide to go clipless on this bike too I'm all set with the shoes at least.
Old 07-01-22, 09:21 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
go to a retailer with a nice selection of lighter weight - low sole profile hiking shoes - EMS, REI, plenty around ...
they all work great for mtb or any flat pedal.
like: Merrill Moab 2 ventilator
I have a pr of Alpine Design which I've used for years, currently as my mtb shoe on Chesters. The soles last forever, because they are held nicely by the pins, but don;t really wear much, because they're not being walked on for any great distance. AND, they'll work fine whether you're going on a long gravel ride, or just rolling down to the store for some quick groceries...
AND, with the sizeable selection of outdoor shoes, you'll surely find a pair with a sole design you would like and a good fit.
I prefer small, even lugs, as opposed to the deep lug traditional 'vibram' type sole...
an article about Sole design.
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 07-02-22, 08:53 AM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 47 Posts
Have you tried skateboarding shoes like a pair of slip on Vans? The sole is very flexy, but if this is for more casual riding and around town type of stuff it may be the way to go.
Old 07-02-22, 12:17 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts

for casual / flat pedal riding - we (family) have used the following shoes and similar :

Shimano CT71
Pearl Izumi X-Alp Divide
Shimano GR5
Bontrager SSR

the kids preferred the GR5 - but I find this shoe to be too flexible (as with many 'free ride' shoes)

CT71 is lightweight and still fairly flexible - but not as flexible as the GR5

(mrs t2p uses a CW41 that is similar to the CW71)

SSR fairly stiff - but kinda narrow

X-Alp fairly stiff and works well

Last edited by t2p; 07-02-22 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-05-22, 07:44 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
If you're going to get a special pair of shoes to put on to ride this bike, I don't see why they can't be MTB clipless shoes. Pick your poison as far as pedals go (Shimano SPD, Time ATAC, Crank Bros. Eggbeater or whatever). You'll still be able to walk around in the MTB shoes, and it's pretty easy to find soles that are stiff.
Old 07-09-22, 11:16 AM
EGBigelo

I ended up going with Columbia Fairbanks Low. They are sturdy but not stiff, mesh and pretty lightweight. Perfect for some of t he areas I ride because some trails are hike-a-bike for 1/2 to a mile at a time. The more I ride though the more I feel I will end up with clipless, but for now these work great. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old 07-09-22, 06:47 PM
saperry42usa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No Cleat Shoes

I am also considering going without clipless shoes when get a Gravel bike.
Old 07-12-22, 08:13 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I see you already got something, but I would point out that 5-10s Freeriders are definitely NOT too stiff to walk in. Same with Ride Concepts Hellions that I have (very comfortable. In fact, I wish both were stiffer for pedaling.

But they are great on the flat pedals.The different between flat pedal specific shoes and sneakers or hiking boots/shoes is substantial, IMO.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-17-22, 09:32 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I wore Five Ten Freeriders for years, mountainbiking and then when I transitioned to gravel with flat pedals. But earlier this year I got the Five Ten Trail Cross LT's, and I am sold. Same grip on the pedals, and I also wear them for hiking, walking etc. They are the most comfortable shoes I currently own (and that includes my trail running shoes). Highly recommended.
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...-trailcross-lt