Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bottom bracket service

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bottom bracket service

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-22, 04:25 PM
striker65

Bikes: Mongoose Dolomite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts
Bottom bracket service

I upgraded the bottom bracket and don't know if I should take it apart and grease the bearings? How often?
Old 08-10-22, 04:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
8 to 25 dollar BB cartridge? Just throw it away when it goes bad and keep your hands clean and stress low. It'll probably last a lot longer than you imagine. I don't think I've ever replaced a BB for wear. Usually I get tired of the bike and get rid of it or I changed to a crank that required a different BB.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-10-22, 04:58 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
With very few exceptions, cartridge bottom brackets are not serviceable. Use it until it develops play or noise and replace it. That is likely to be a long time and many miles from now.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-10-22, 05:03 PM
striker65

Bikes: Mongoose Dolomite

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts
Thanks guys, that's what I thought but had to ask.
Old 08-11-22, 09:05 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
With very few exceptions, cartridge bottom brackets are not serviceable.
Most BB cartridges aren't intended to be serviceable, but many can be, given sufficient patience and determination. Given the cost of a new replacement cartridge, it's hard to make the case for servicing an old cartridge.
Old 08-11-22, 09:56 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Just to be somewhat contrarian and show when rebuilding is called for- I just mailed back to Phil & Co a 10 year old BB of theirs that had become rough and rumbly. Their retail cost to rebearing it is about $48. The new BB cost is about $175+. For this BB it is worth servicing it. But I do agree that with the vast majority of cartridge BB units the effort to rebuild is not worth it and many were not designed/assembled with any serviceability in mind. Andy
Old 08-11-22, 02:22 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 440 Posts
You can't. It's a disposable part. When it reaches end of life you throw it out and replace.
Old 08-11-22, 09:10 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Do a youtube search on overhauling a sealed bottom bracket. It can be done, but is not really worth it. If you want to do it to say you done did it, go for it. The sealed bottom brackets are much like sealed hubs, just a bearing sitting on a sleeved axle. You use a hammer and block of wood or a dead blow hammer and just knock out one side, then place the remaining bearing over a hole that supports it and knock out the other side.

Look at ABEC ratings for bearings. Bikes don't have high loads or high rpms. You don't need super expensive bearings, just not cheap bad bearings. And, no telling what grease comes from the factory in those. Usually minimal and not the greatest. And if you do get frisky to try this, be sure to get rubber sided bearings, not metal sided. Metal won't keep water out.
Here is the youtube guy.