Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Chain Lube

Old 06-06-22, 05:34 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Chain Lube

What do you use for lubricating your chain and why do you use that product (over the others available)?

I have been using White Lightning for the last few years. I liked it because it seemed to last longer than an oil-based lube (like Phil Oil).

The other day, I tried to clean it off and re-lube the chain. Normally, I would have used "Paint Thinner" or "Mineral Spirits" but California, in its infinite wisdom, has outlawed those products leaving us with nothing but acetone on the shelves at the hardware stores. Holy smoke!, that stuff is tenacious and resisted removal using acetone. A combination of soaking in gasoline (bummer!) and scrubbing each link with a tooth brush eventually got it off.

I allowed the chain to dry for a few hours and liberally applied Phil Oil.

On yesterday's ride, the drivetrain and shifting was noticeably different. It wasn't just the sound but also the feel - it felt looser, easier.
Old 06-06-22, 05:54 PM
jrg1244

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD 5 Potenza 66cm, 1984 Basso Gap Nuovo Record 65cm, 1989 Cannondale ST Racing Triple 27", 1974 Schwinn Paramount Nuovo Record 26", 198? Scapin MKII 66cm Victory, 1994 Havnoonian Chorus 8sp 27"

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 43 Posts
For me, Finish Line Wax Ceramic lube. Goes on white, dries clear and tends to keep my drivetrain surprisingly clean. Only downside is that it needs frequent application, I probably add more every 150 miles or so and wipe the excess off. Also, I find gasoline to be the best chain cleaner of all, including the stuff sold at bike shops for $20 a can. A couple ounces of gas in a Tupperware makes quick work of filthy chains. I then use the leftover gas to help get a backyard campfire going…. Multipurpose.
Old 06-06-22, 05:57 PM
3Roch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
What: Boshield
Why:A. It works B: I have a gallon jug of it
Old 06-06-22, 06:27 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 549 Times in 241 Posts
Dupont Chain-Saver
Likes For rjhammett:
Old 06-06-22, 07:13 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 853 Posts
Some of us will have noticed by now that PTFE particulates are very fast disappearing from the entire lubricant market, often replaced by newer "ceramic" particulates similarly intended to reduce friction.
I can no longer buy DuPont 100% Teflon Dry Lubricant in the spray can (what I used for years to mix my own chain lube in a flat-sided squeeze bottle).
I'm hoping that the newer "ceramic" particulates used in their similar packaging are at least nearly as effective as the PTFE/Teflon, though I have no idea.

The main reason for this change is I believe the extremely noxious/dangerous/deadly fumes that emanate from any incineration of PTFE (as might happen when a shop rag, near-empty container or chain, contaminated with PTFE, is disposed of).

So as a word of warning, perhaps it's not a good idea to use any solvent having been used to clean chains to assist with igniting charcoal or fires (especially burning near people or food).
A better way to dispose of such solvent is to mix it in with your used motor oil, as the re-cyclers fully expect the used oil to be contaminated.
Likes For dddd:
Old 06-06-22, 09:56 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Molten Speed Wax, applied using a small slow cooker/crock pot after thorough removal of petroleum products from the chain. Zero Friction Cycling tests show that this is far superior in terms of friction reduction and chain longevity than all other products on the market. Also, after the initial chain preparation step it is as easy as pie to clean/relube the chain. Not only that, but the chain/drivertrain stays SOOOOO clean. No more chain tattoos.
Likes For davester:
Old 06-07-22, 12:13 AM
The Thin Man 

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 114 Posts
Chain-L is starting to win me over for winter lube.
ATB for summer.
Likes For The Thin Man:
Old 06-07-22, 02:50 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
Molten Speed Wax, applied using a small slow cooker/crock pot after thorough removal of petroleum products from the chain. Zero Friction Cycling tests show that this is far superior in terms of friction reduction and chain longevity than all other products on the market. Also, after the initial chain preparation step it is as easy as pie to clean/relube the chain. Not only that, but the chain/drivertrain stays SOOOOO clean. No more chain tattoos.
I've just started using wax: paraffin wax pellets + PTFE powder
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm loving it - no chain noise and no chain dirt after 193 miles.
Old 06-07-22, 04:06 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by jrg1244
For me, Finish Line Wax Ceramic lube. Goes on white, dries clear and tends to keep my drivetrain surprisingly clean. Only downside is that it needs frequent application, I probably add more every 150 miles or so and wipe the excess off. Also, I find gasoline to be the best chain cleaner of all, including the stuff sold at bike shops for $20 a can. A couple ounces of gas in a Tupperware makes quick work of filthy chains. I then use the leftover gas to help get a backyard campfire going…. Multipurpose.
I’m a fan of Finish Line Wax Ceramic as well. Stays cleaner but as already mentioned, needs more frequent application. Still worth it IMO. I use my ultrasonic cleaner to clean first.

I have to say I am becoming more intrigued with wax after reading about it in so many posts.
Old 06-07-22, 06:46 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,902 Times in 1,763 Posts
If you go for a petroleum-based lubricant, just remember to wipe off all the excess lubricant from the outside of the chain. The only oil you want will be inside the rollers. Doing so will result in a perfectly clean chain. I can grab my chain with my bare hand and rotate the cranks, and my hand will come out perfectly clean (i.e., no "chain tattoos.")
Likes For smd4:
Old 06-07-22, 11:44 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
If you go for a petroleum-based lubricant, just remember to wipe off all the excess lubricant from the outside of the chain. The only oil you want will be inside the rollers. Doing so will result in a perfectly clean chain. I can grab my chain with my bare hand and rotate the cranks, and my hand will come out perfectly clean (i.e., no "chain tattoos.")
Well, you know the old saying. Pics or it didn't happen.

As for chain lube preferences, I don't really have any. I've had plenty of products that worked well - Rock N Roll Gold, Finish Line Dry Lube, even ATF. The worst lube is the one you don't use. How many cyclists have you all ridden by whose chains were squealing like mad? Happens all the time.
Old 06-07-22, 12:03 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,532 Posts
Rock and Roll Gold has been my go to for a long time, but have just tried Chain-L and am pretty happy, am thinking this is my new go to

Old 06-07-22, 12:25 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Kerosene for cleaning in a park cleaner.
For lube, I've mostly been using 3n1 dry lube from the Lowe's or Ace on my beachfront commuting bikes but for my weekend bikes, I've been using some Sears chain saw oil that has been sitting around for 20+ years. I can go more than 200 miles on the chainsaw oil and it is a cool red color.

Edit: $5 for a quart of chain lube.
Old 06-07-22, 01:17 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Silca super secret
Old 06-07-22, 01:21 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I buy Finish Line 'Wet' (oil) because it is available, and comes in a handy small bottle good for applying onto the chain.

If I am out and about and realize my chain is dry I stop at a gas station and pull an empty motor oil bottle out of the garbage and use the remaining drops on my chain.
Old 06-07-22, 01:25 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 971 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
Normally, I would have used "Paint Thinner" or "Mineral Spirits" but California, in its infinite wisdom, has outlawed those products leaving us with nothing but acetone on the shelves at the hardware stores.
There is a California approved Odorless mineral spirits and you can find it at your Home depot. Mineral spirits clean way better than acetone. You clean the gunk off with mineral spirits, then you clean the mineral spirits off with acetone.
Old 06-07-22, 01:41 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
What do you use for lubricating your chain and why do you use that product (over the others available)?

I have been using White Lightning for the last few years. I liked it because it seemed to last longer than an oil-based lube (like Phil Oil).

The other day, I tried to clean it off and re-lube the chain. Normally, I would have used "Paint Thinner" or "Mineral Spirits" but California, in its infinite wisdom, has outlawed those products leaving us with nothing but acetone on the shelves at the hardware stores. Holy smoke!, that stuff is tenacious and resisted removal using acetone. A combination of soaking in gasoline (bummer!) and scrubbing each link with a tooth brush eventually got it off.

I allowed the chain to dry for a few hours and liberally applied Phil Oil.

On yesterday's ride, the drivetrain and shifting was noticeably different. It wasn't just the sound but also the feel - it felt looser, easier.
I'm old school and simply use tri-flow. excellent lubricant. yes, it picks up dirt somewhat however I simply clean once every couple weeks by running the chain through a microfiber cloth then re-applying oil. cheap and very effective never had a chain issue.

no need, IMO, to use solvents to 'de-grease' a chain. waste of solvents and bad for environment (and does nothing for chain longevity or wear IMO)
Old 06-07-22, 03:17 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
White Lightning is not a good lube. See https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/lubetesting/ for way more than you ever wanted to know about chain lube. White Lightning came in 55th place out of 55 lubes they tested in terms of friction.

I use Silca Super Secret because it was the best overall drip lube in their tests. It is still not super good in rain, you need to re-apply. But it is worlds better than White Lightning.
Old 06-07-22, 03:58 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3482 Post(s)
Liked 2,902 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Well, you know the old saying. Pics or it didn't happen.
That’s ok. My posting a picture of my clean palm won’t convince anyone. I too use Tri-flow.
Old 06-07-22, 07:37 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
WD-40. Its what I've used for years. I know BF's is aghast by the mention of it. One of my most influential cycling buds used WD-40 for everything on his bike. So its what l've stuck with over all these years.
Old 06-07-22, 09:10 PM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
There is a California approved Odorless mineral spirits and you can find it at your Home depot. Mineral spirits clean way better than acetone. You clean the gunk off with mineral spirits, then you clean the mineral spirits off with acetone.
On one visit, I stood there are read the labels on all the different solvents offered at Home Depot. There were lots of different names on the cans but the ingredients all said "Acetone".

Still, I am encouraged by your post and will check into it.

I do have 5 quarts of old school mineral spirits but I am not parting with that for chain cleaning.
Old 06-07-22, 09:13 PM
Bad Lag

Originally Posted by scottfsmith
White Lightning is not a good lube. See https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/lubetesting/ for way more than you ever wanted to know about chain lube. White Lightning came in 55th place out of 55 lubes they tested in terms of friction.

I use Silca Super Secret because it was the best overall drip lube in their tests. It is still not super good in rain, you need to re-apply. But it is worlds better than White Lightning.
ty

Thanks to everyone.
Old 06-07-22, 09:28 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 341 Posts
Scented candles from the neighbor ladies. The chains get lubed and the rec hall doesn't smell like a bunch of old farts drinking beer and shooting pool. It's all good.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 06-08-22, 12:01 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
If removing the chain I drop it into a glass jar of what ever I have around like, Charcoal Lighter Fluid, Diesel, Paint Thinner, Gasoline, Denatured Alcohol, Bourbon, Cyclohexane, TET, Barsol, or, or, or... No really its Charcoal Lighter Fluid usually.

Then after all the gunk outta it a soaking in ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid. And a wipe off...

Then I mount the chain and hit it with some 30 wt motor oil. And wipe off...

If not removing the chain then I just liberally lubricate it with ATF and keep running the chain through a rage till its clean. I then lube with 30wt motor oil. I do this often cause the light gravelly roads I ride kick up allot of dirt.
Old 06-08-22, 11:03 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 779 Posts
I'm not brand-loyal at all, and hardly ever stick with any one long enough to use up a full container, but have had a couple evaporate all away (DuPont dry lube, lookin' at YOU) or leak away to empty.

But kind of like Chain-L cause Mr. Bollag has such well-honed "snake-oil" salesmanship talents.
And kind of hate Tri-Flow cause of that cloying SMELL (but I still use it when it is the one my hand lands on).

I have bottles of all the brands mentioned above, PLUS oddballs like (Belgian) Morgan Blue Race Oil (not bad), 3-in-One specialty lubes (meh), and all the home-brews including ATF with acetone, non-detergent 30-weight...even tried double-boiler melted paraffin wax but gave up on that: too fussy.

"Run with what ya got", is my motto
Likes For unworthy1:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.