Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

fearing the slow good bye to rim brake bikes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

fearing the slow good bye to rim brake bikes

Old 06-07-22, 11:42 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
That they straight up won't work after a decent amount of use? I ride two bikes with low end disc brakes regularly and its a complete nightmare. After paying to get it serviced the brakes are almost useless in a week or two, have spent hours trying to fix them myself. Cheap rim brakes are junk but they are much much better than cheap disc brakes. If I had to buy a new bike I would never buy disc brakes because of my bad experiences.

Also even when set up "correctly" they are prone to rubbing on the pads. Its the nature of the beast with disc brakes
You know… toe overlap can be useful in some circumstances.

However closed toe shoes are generally recommended to maintain the integrity of the toe.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 06-08-22, 12:12 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Even after years and years with thousands of threads about "brakes" it's still disappoints me that cyclists are so vain and only concerned about image. I had hope that some of the older cyclists actually just loved to ride bikes and be out in nature. Nope...they want a bike that presents an image. They want to be known as "rim brake cyclist" or whatever other older technologies they're fetishizing. It's like frame materials and such...not really about the bike and enjoying the rush of moving yourself with a machine outside. It's about how it looks...all aesthetics.

You could keep your rim brake bike, I'm stuck with mine. Once I can afford another bike I'll get one with disc brakes and ride the same places I do now and enjoy it just as much.

So much image consciousness. Weird.
This post reminds me…

While out riding today the thought occurred that it would sure be nice (wishful thinking) that people would only comment on this board about things they have direct experience with. It would certainly eliminate a lot of the bickering.

I have two disc brake bikes and three rim brake bikes going back to the early 80s. Going down hill in the rain and slowing to a stop or needing to making a panic stop, there is zero contest between the stopping power of discs and rim brakes. It’s not vanity, it’s not fashion, it’s safety. When a car unexpectedly pulls out 20’ in front of you, would you rather stop in 15’ or 25’? If being a cool kid is a fashion, I’d rather be fashionably alive.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-08-22, 12:28 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 273 Posts
I spent much of today riding a current $5k road bike with discs and 32mm tires (GP 5000s). The bike is a boat anchor; at over 18 pounds it weighs about 2 pounds more than a similarly spec'd and priced rim brake bike from 5 years ago.

Reason for the extra weight: the frame and fork reinforcements required to handle disc braking forces, and the much heavier wheels - again required to handle the forces from the ends of the fork to the rider. The farm tractor tires didn't help with my speed on pavement either.

Wouldn't it be much more efficient for wheel rims to secure tires, and double as braking surface? I'm guessing that 5 years from now the industry will roll this novel concept out with great fanfare. And big price increases.

Anyway, you can get sub-800 gram rim-brake road frames direct from Asia. The big brands have abandoned high-end rim brake frames? I've abandoned the big bike brands.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 06-08-22, 12:29 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
fearing that it maybe time to sell my beloved steeds old with rim breaks to begin the Next phase in cycling.
Read that many will not build rim break bicycles. I love my bikes...feeling sadder older broker...
Prices on rim brake parts are coming down on eBay etc. And your rim brakes will still stop your bike as well as they ever have. No need to change.
Old 06-08-22, 12:42 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1541 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 955 Posts
On the contrary, it's a wonderful thing that people are moving to disk brakes. That means people are selling their spare rim brake wheelsets. High end tubular rim brake wheelsets are more and more affordable by the day!
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 06-08-22, 01:07 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I spent much of today riding a current $5k road bike with discs and 32mm tires (GP 5000s). The bike is a boat anchor; at over 18 pounds it weighs about 2 pounds more than a similarly spec'd and priced rim brake bike from 5 years ago.
Don't buy a boat anchor next time. There are plenty of lighter disc brake bikes out there, with a weight penalty much less than 2 pounds.
Old 06-08-22, 01:09 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You were talking about brakes (not breaks). There really is no reason you can't take the minor care to use the right word. Doing that is easier than blaming the phone (or me).

Anyway, you think that's "nastiness", your life must be quite easy.
Wow. Who pissed in your cornflakes?

Surely you can’t be this triggered by a typo on the internet.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-08-22, 01:14 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Sometimes, you have to draw a line in the sand ...
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-08-22, 04:06 AM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’m reading this while eating dinner in camp after the second day of my rim break tour from Brattleboro, VT, up to the Northeast Kingdom. Had a nice snack break spot today. Going to have me a campfire later and do some reading.

thehammerdog You can always ask the mods if they are willing to boot a disruptive poster from this thread.

Nice! I was up there the last two summers staying in a cottage on Lake Willoughby, beautiful area!

Last edited by A350driver; 06-08-22 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Add picts.
Likes For A350driver:
Old 06-08-22, 04:08 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Prices on rim brake parts are coming down on eBay etc. And your rim brakes will still stop your bike as well as they ever have. No need to change.
I fancy a new gravel bike. Seems almost silly not to get disc brakes. I think the tides have certainly turned towards disc brakes.. I love my bike its is a beauty but upgrading it with the newer fancy bits seems like a fools choice.
Old 06-08-22, 04:25 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer

Reason for the extra weight: the frame and fork reinforcements required to handle disc braking forces, and the much heavier wheels - again required to handle the forces from the ends of the fork to the rider. The farm tractor tires didn't help with my speed on pavement either.

Wouldn't it be much more efficient for wheel rims to secure tires, and double as braking surface? I'm guessing that 5 years from now the industry will roll this novel concept out with great fanfare. And big price increases.

Anyway, you can get sub-800 gram rim-brake road frames direct from Asia. The big brands have abandoned high-end rim brake frames? I've abandoned the big bike brands.

Being objective, the overall increase in weight with disc brakes is only a couple of hundred grams. It certainly isn't 2 lbs. Disc specific wheel rims are actually lighter by the way, which offsets a bit of extra hub/spoke weight. As for frame and fork weight, it's a wash. The fork is a little heavier, but there are savings around the frame where rim brakes would have been mounted.

For sure if you are an obsessive weight weenie then you could build a slightly lighter rim braked bike and save some cash. But there are plenty of other reasons to choose disc brakes - like actual braking performance and consistency!

As for 32 mm GP5000 tyres slowing you down on pavement. The same tyres that have won Paris Roubaix. Maybe try the 28 or 30 mm versions next time?
Old 06-08-22, 04:25 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
In any case, there are millions of bikes on the roads with rim brakes and I suspect parts will be available for many years to come.
+1 on this thought.

There were only 47,000 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air's produced. That car was only produced for one year, yet you still see countless repro parts and companies dedicated to this and other classic cars. Compare this to the millions of rim-brake bicycles produced and distributed all around the world, and I doubt that we'll see and end to rim brakes in our lifetimes.

Is this like comparing apples to pineapples? Maybe for this chap...

I'll wager that he is not concerned in the least about disc brakes.
Old 06-08-22, 04:29 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
I fancy a new gravel bike. Seems almost silly not to get disc brakes.
Disc brakes are a no-brainer for off-road riding. Not even worth debating on a gravel bike.
Old 06-08-22, 05:39 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
I fancy a new gravel bike. Seems almost silly not to get disc brakes. I think the tides have certainly turned towards disc brakes.. I love my bike its is a beauty but upgrading it with the newer fancy bits seems like a fools choice.
By all means, get a gravel bike with discs. I wouldn’t steer you any other way. My hardtail and my cargo bike both have disc brakes.

But don’t feel obligated to offload any rim brake road bikes, or hybrids, or vintage mtb, or shopping/commuter/round-town/single speed bikes you may have just because of your n+1.
Old 06-08-22, 06:09 AM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Everyone knows the goal of disk brakes is so ‘big bicycle’ can kill off aluminum rims and only sell $3K deep carbon rims. The main advantage being they can now have their brand logo visible on the wheel.
Old 06-08-22, 06:36 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
That’s about the last thing I’m fearing in this life.
Tim
Old 06-08-22, 06:50 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts

Proper spelling of the words that are most relevant to the meaning of the thread is a courtesy to those who might otherwise think he's writing about coffee breaks, a musical break, or a bone injury. Not everyone here is a native English speaker.

I wonder what the OP wrote that caused his phone to change it to "break"? If he had spelled it as "brake" the phone should have had no issues with it.
Old 06-08-22, 07:53 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Proper spelling of the words that are most relevant to the meaning of the thread is a courtesy to those who might otherwise think he's writing about coffee breaks, a musical break, or a bone injury. Not everyone here is a native English speaker.

I wonder what the OP wrote that caused his phone to change it to "break"? If he had spelled it as "brake" the phone should have had no issues with it.

Nor can I decide which would be worse.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-08-22, 07:54 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts

I'm not the "triggered" one.
Old 06-08-22, 07:57 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Damn...didn't know we were presenting a thesis in front of the dissertation research committee. Better tighten up my spelling and grammar for my judgmental peers. Whoah.
If you really think it was that, it's god telling you you should probably stay off the internet.
Old 06-08-22, 08:02 AM
njkayaker

If one thinks it's worthwhile for other people to read, it should be worthwhile to check the spelling (especially, for the word the think the post is about). It's basic courtesy.

It was funny that he cared enough about something to write a post about it but couldn't take the trivial extra effort to spell it correctly.

Him going all nasty and deranged about somebody pointing it out seems like much more effort than checking the post in the first place.

I tried to get my phone to make the same change and was not successful.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-08-22, 08:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by njkayaker
If you really think it was that, it's god telling you you should probably stay off the internet.
if you’re going to be all triggered by typos, you should probably stay off the internet.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-08-22, 08:19 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
It appears that NJ is always right and those that debate or contradict him, which tend to be multiple people, are always wrong even if they backup their points. It must be really wonderful to feel always so right even in the face of so much contradiction. I am sure I will hear from NJ as well and hopefully he will contradict what I just said. In fact since he can never leave a post alone and walk away, I will count on it.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-08-22, 08:29 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I don’t think you ever need to fear that you can’t find rim brakes going forward.

Now high end rims for those brakes might be a different issue.

John
As time goes on, I think rim brake parts and rim brake wheels will become limited in selection much like 26" wheels and tires. All the road bikes now offered have pretty much switched over to disc brakes. Any company in their right mind isn't going to continue to manufacture low volume parts. I work at a company that manufactures a product. When volumes of that product are low, we eliminate it.

A quick look at Jenson and there are exactly two brands of 26" wheels you can choose from. But a ton of 27.5/650b/29/700c

With disc brakes becoming the norm on road bikes nowadays I'm guessing rim brake related parts will start becoming scarce in the next 5 to 10 years.
Old 06-08-22, 08:30 AM
njkayaker

if you’re going to be all triggered by typos, you should probably stay off the internet.
Sounds like you are triggered by your random comments about spelling!

I wasn't triggered. It was amusing that he misspelled the exact thing that was so important to him.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.