Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike value? (Quintana Roo)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-22, 09:15 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts

Hey all, I found a Quintana Roo Caliente on Craigslist local to me. Not the best pictures, but from what's there the bike looks solid. The guy is asking $800obo. He has the bike listed as a 56cm, which is way too tall for me, but at least in the pictures, the frame geometry doesn't look nearly that tall. He also has the seat post cranked way up and a neck extension on the forks. We have messaged some measurements back and forth and it sounds like the frame is much closer to my WSDs. I'm going to take a look later this week, but I want to get an idea of what a current value might be. I tried looking up the Caliente on the blue book but it says "no data available". I was thinking of offering $600, maybe going as high as $700, but honestly, I really shouldn't even be considering it right now.

Ad for reference: https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/bik/...473617888.html

Last edited by cb400bill; 04-27-22 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-25-22, 10:29 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
That isnt a carbon frame. Its an aluminum frame with carbon seatstays. You can clearly see the welds on all other tube joints.

The stem extension could be easily removed to make the bike fit better for someone shorter. Will it fit you?...who knows. The saddle is not very high, but could come down some.
If you are looking for an old tri-bike, I guess this is worth considering? It certainly isnt what I would think of for a road bike though. <---being kind here.
Old 04-25-22, 10:34 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
It's a tri bike. If you wanted to use it as a road bike you might want to switch the bars, levers/shifters, and take that contraption off the steer tube. It won't be as stable as a road bike and tri bikes tend to have steep angles. The big thing from a fit perspective is the top tube length. If it's too long you will never get comfortable.
Old 04-25-22, 10:38 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
If you're not at least 5'9" tall, I would not let you close to a 56 frame. If you're looking for a tri-TT bike, you should wait. Those bikes come onto Ebay all the time, "I don't do Tri's anymore, so I'm selling this one..."
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 04-25-22, 11:43 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
My 2¢

If it's on Craigslist or eBay, the seller is asking way too much. Only one in a ba-jillion will be a deal.

It's a TT bike. Is that what you want, a bike for short courses?

If you are wanting to ride long distances of more than 40 miles, then you'll do it more comfortably on a road bikes more typical ≈73 - 74° seat tube angle than the much more vertical seat tube angle of this bike.
Old 04-25-22, 12:56 PM
VegasJen

I do triathlons 3-4 times a year, or at least recently anyway.

The seller just sent me pics of the original configuration without that tube extension. Looks really nice. I still don't think the frame is 56cm. The proportions just don't look right for a bike that tall. Plus, he took some measurements and they are pretty close to what my WSDs are.

As for a tri bike versus a road bike, I really don't know the difference. I will say that I have mounted clamp on aero bars to all my existing road bikes, more for comfort on a long ride than anything else. (Plus, the triathlon subsection doesn't move for days)

I did not know it was aluminum. I didn't see the joints that well, but now that it's been pointed out, I see it. Not sure that's really a bad thing though.
Old 04-25-22, 01:35 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
its not that being aluminum is a bad thing, mstateglfr is pointing out that it is not a carbon bike. most modern alloy bikes have carbon forks, that does not make them a carbon bike. this is a subtle thing if you don't know what to look for.
Old 04-25-22, 01:50 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
The price of $800 seems pretty high for a 20 year old bike
Old 04-25-22, 03:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by VegasJen
I did not know it was aluminum. I didn't see the joints that well, but now that it's been pointed out, I see it. Not sure that's really a bad thing though.
It isnt a good or bad thing. I pointed out that its an aluminum frame because the ad claims its a carbon frame. Just giving you info.
Old 04-25-22, 03:18 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It isnt a good or bad thing. I pointed out that its an aluminum frame because the ad claims its a carbon frame. Just giving you info.
Ran when parked. Knows what he has.
Old 04-25-22, 03:48 PM
VegasJen

Understood. Thanks. If noting else, this might be a good negotiating point. Any ideas what the bike might be worth? Someone else I know said he thought the rear derailure didn't look right for that bike. Can anybody make that out?
Old 04-25-22, 04:04 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Understood. Thanks. If noting else, this might be a good negotiating point. Any ideas what the bike might be worth? Someone else I know said he thought the rear derailure didn't look right for that bike. Can anybody make that out?
The rear derailleur is not original. No company would spec a mountain bike rear derailleur on a tri bike. It is aquality rear derailleur for what thats worth, though its 25 years old at this point.

The seller doesn't actually know anything about this bike. The frame material is misidentified and the brake caliper model is misspelled(they are ultegra brakes).

I have no idea what the bike is worth as itnisnt something i would be interested in and i dont keep up on the value of 20+/- year old tri bikes.
$350, maybe? Even that would heavily depend on the condition of the tires, chain, and cassette.
Old 04-25-22, 04:21 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
It says it's an XT derailleur, nothing wrong with that. If anything it will allow greater range of gearing.

Don't get too hung up on what size it's called. A 56 from one company can be different than a 56 from another company. They might be measuring to the top of the seat tube extension. I tried to find geometry for that bike (briefly) on-line but couldn't. QR changed ownership at some point (I think) so they are not listing that frame.

As I said, the top tube length is a more important dimension than what the frame is labeled. I have a 62 frame which is longer than my other bike which is a 65.
Old 04-25-22, 06:10 PM
VegasJen

The rear derailleur is not original. No company would spec a mountain bike rear derailleur on a tri bike. It is aquality rear derailleur for what thats worth, though its 25 years old at this point.

The seller doesn't actually know anything about this bike. The frame material is misidentified and the brake caliper model is misspelled(they are ultegra brakes).

I have no idea what the bike is worth as itnisnt something i would be interested in and i dont keep up on the value of 20+/- year old tri bikes.
$350, maybe? Even that would heavily depend on the condition of the tires, chain, and cassette.
Thanks. I doubt the guy will take that for it but I'm going to offer $500, provided it fits me and everything works as designed. If I'm right, that it's smaller than advertised, then I have some advantages. Bikes in my range don't come up all that often, but also, the market for them is smaller. I may be the only person in town even considering a bike that size.

If he doesn't bite, then I'm OK with that too. I already have three road bikes and for as often as I tri, any one of them will work fine.
Old 04-26-22, 11:33 AM
alcjphil

The 9 speed components on that bike were introduced in 1997 and continued to be made until 2004. The crank is an off brand unit probably installed to reduce manufacturing costs. I wouldn't pay any more than $400 for that bike
Old 04-27-22, 06:20 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanks. I doubt the guy will take that for it but I'm going to offer $500, provided it fits me and everything works as designed. If I'm right, that it's smaller than advertised, then I have some advantages. Bikes in my range don't come up all that often, but also, the market for them is smaller. I may be the only person in town even considering a bike that size.

If he doesn't bite, then I'm OK with that too. I already have three road bikes and for as often as I tri, any one of them will work fine.
I would pay nothing for it, as it is an ugly bike.

Lol. But seriously though, don't pay more than like 300-400 for a used, older aluminium bike. Depending on your local market you should be able to find a significantly newer and better bike for around 800.

If you already have 3 road bikes, I doubt this one will be better than the ones you have.
Old 04-27-22, 06:56 AM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Looks like a hybrid frame (AL + Carbon Seat Stay). Cannondale had the same type of frame. Not a best seller, some issues with it as far as I can remember reading reviews and I think they dropped it after 1 season.
Old 04-27-22, 12:32 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by maartendc
I would pay nothing for it, as it is an ugly bike.

Lol. But seriously though, don't pay more than like 300-400 for a used, older aluminium bike. Depending on your local market you should be able to find a significantly newer and better bike for around 800.

If you already have 3 road bikes, I doubt this one will be better than the ones you have.
I kind of like the looks personally.
But as for the market, I'm not seeing this kind of bike readily available, especially in my size. I did see a newer Felt (IIRC) pop up about two months ago, but the seller wanted three grand for that!
Originally Posted by ARPRINCE
Looks like a hybrid frame (AL + Carbon Seat Stay). Cannondale had the same type of frame. Not a best seller, some issues with it as far as I can remember reading reviews and I think they dropped it after 1 season.
Can one of you explain to me what "seat stays" are? I hear this thrown around but I don't know what it means.
Old 04-27-22, 01:20 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
I kind of like the looks personally.
But as for the market, I'm not seeing this kind of bike readily available, especially in my size. I did see a newer Felt (IIRC) pop up about two months ago, but the seller wanted three grand for that!

Can one of you explain to me what "seat stays" are? I hear this thrown around but I don't know what it means.
this should help...

https://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/bicycleparts.html
Old 04-27-22, 03:15 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by spelger
Ohhhh. Thanks. Took me a minute to find it though. I just thought that was considered part of the frame.
Old 04-27-22, 03:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Now that you know what seat stays are, chain stays should be intuitive. <grin>
Old 04-27-22, 04:52 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Hey all, I found a Quintana Roo Caliente on Craigslist local to me. Not the best pictures, but from what's there the bike looks solid. The guy is asking $800obo. He has the bike listed as a 56cm, which is way too tall for me, but at least in the pictures, the frame geometry doesn't look nearly that tall. He also has the seat post cranked way up and a neck extension on the forks. We have messaged some measurements back and forth and it sounds like the frame is much closer to my WSDs. I'm going to take a look later this week, but I want to get an idea of what a current value might be. I tried looking up the Caliente on the blue book but it says "no data available". I was thinking of offering $600, maybe going as high as $700, but honestly, I really shouldn't even be considering it right now.

Ad for reference: https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/bik/...473617888.html

400 to 500 max if perfect and you just must have it.
Old 04-27-22, 05:08 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by thehammerdog
400 to 500 max if perfect and you just must have it.
Really? Seems the consensus is this bike is $500 max. Glad I checked because I was going to start out at $600 and go to 700.
Old 04-28-22, 08:38 AM
alcjphil

Ohhhh. Thanks. Took me a minute to find it though. I just thought that was considered part of the frame.
It is part of the frame, but all the different parts of the frame have names, e.g. seat tube, down tube, chain stays, and of course, seat stays
Old 04-30-22, 06:15 PM
VegasJen

Well, I checked out that bike yesterday. And as feared, it was definitely too tall. Shame too, because it really was a nice bike. Oh well. The search goes on for a tri bike.

BTW, just finished my fourth tri today with my Specialized Roubiax.
Likes For VegasJen:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.