Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Question concerning bad knees.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Question concerning bad knees.

Old 06-15-22, 05:22 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,710 Times in 2,910 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Have you thought about maybe using flats pedals-with or without pins? I have to wonder how much difference there is between clipless and flats for those of us who are older or not trying to set speed records. Not trying to start a clipless vs flat debate (tho seems that happens sometimes). Did a little looking around and found this: Are there any scientific studies proving the benefits of clipless pedal systems? - Bicycles Stack Exchange I'm a "recreational" rider, not too slow, and using flats with pins. Have no problem keeping my feet firmly planted on the pedal with them. Wish you the best and kudos for not letting your knees stop ya!
I would say the difference between clipless and decent flats is not that much, especially for recreational cycling. I do use clipless on all my road bikes because I like the locked-in feel, but I switched to flats on my mountain bikes about 8 years ago and never looked back. I didn't feel like I was losing any significant power after the switch to flats. Still the same engine!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-15-22, 07:21 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
I like flat pedals because I can move my feet around all the time, forward, backwards, toe in or out etc.. I have had plenty of knee problems my entire life being big&tall, but I found if I had the freedom to move my feet into certain positions on the pedal, and also while walking and jogging and going up steps, I could pretty much eliminate most knee pain.
Likes For beng1:
Old 06-16-22, 04:25 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I would say the difference between clipless and decent flats is not that much, especially for recreational cycling. I do use clipless on all my road bikes because I like the locked-in feel, but I switched to flats on my mountain bikes about 8 years ago and never looked back. I didn't feel like I was losing any significant power after the switch to flats. Still the same engine!

ive been using flats on the MTB's too, but havent upgraded to good shoes ---

For me it was more about convenience - i liked pulling up to the trailhead and just taking off in my Vans - but i heard there are much better shoes out there .
Likes For DMC707:
Old 06-16-22, 04:40 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,710 Times in 2,910 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
ive been using flats on the MTB's too, but havent upgraded to good shoes ---

For me it was more about convenience - i liked pulling up to the trailhead and just taking off in my Vans - but i heard there are much better shoes out there .
I use FiveTen Freerider Pro shoes. Super-comfortable, fairly stiff soles and very grippy on the pedals. I just prefer them over cleated shoes for riding technical mtb trails. As for performance, flats don't appear to hold me back in any way. All my PBs are with these shoes/pedals. If I felt I was losing any significant performance I wouldn't have switched to flats for very long. It's not like I have a problem using clipless mtb pedals. I just prefer the flats for that type of riding.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 06-24-22, 07:36 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Late replying but important. For all you who have knee problems due to a lack of cartilage between the bones... I highly recommend you try fish oil supplements. I have bad knees, most likely from all the biking I did in an 8 yr period. Went to 2 doctors who were useless and only confirmed that I didn't need surgery. Gave up the bike when I moved over seas, but was using the metro system daily which made the same repetitious movements. Got to the point of bad aching and having to rest nearly every day. Some years later I read about cod liver oil and tried it. I can now bike without problems (which is good since I live on my bike). I've moved on to Omega 3 as it's cheaper - never felt a difference. This is my little magic pill and without it, there's no way I could be on a bike. No doctor is going to suggest this to you, so I am! Be safe.
Likes For travelinhobo:
Old 06-26-22, 08:50 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
I have a torn medial meniscus in my right knee and am even having trouble walking at the moment. I used Keos for years now. When I went to physical therapy the first time for it, the first thing he asked when I mentioned cycling was whether I clipped in. He's seen it enough that he knew. But I'm 67 years old now, and was fine all these years so I blame it on age AND cycling, not just the pedals. And maybe running up all those stairs every day didn't help. I was this old grey haired guy that would be running up the stairs on the subway on the way to work making it look like they weren't there. Or at least I did that when I wasn't biking to work and blasting up the bridge.
Likes For zacster: