Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravelking SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-22, 08:14 PM
ksdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gravelking SS

Are the panaracer gravelking SS easy to put on and take off ? I will be running with a tube. I currently have the gravelking SK and they are really difficult to put on and take off.
Old 06-13-22, 09:24 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I have never had the sk to compare them to the SS. I have the gravelking SS I don't remember them being any different than other tires I have mounted. gp5000 ( sizes 23, 25, 28, 32), VITTORIA RUBINO, Schwalbe G-One gravel tire, giants factory gravel tire.

The rim though..... My gf has a
SCOTT Speedster Gravel 10 Bike
Rims Syncros Race 24 Disc 28 Front / 28 Rear

those rims for what ever reason I used the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack to help install the tires. Luckily that bike is now mounted on her trainer.
Old 06-14-22, 06:25 AM
BJack312

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts
I think it's really going to depend on your wheels. I've had several pairs of SS and SK tires and they have not been hard to install on Hunt wheels.
Old 06-14-22, 06:26 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I have the SK’s and the SS - both 38’s. Have had no trouble installing on A23’s or Giant P-X2’s although I’m running TL. I don’t use levers - most tires go on fine if you keep the beads in the channel while installing. If new (just unfolded) tires, let them sit in the sun at round shape beforehand to make it easy. Really like the SS.
Old 06-14-22, 08:34 AM
bh85

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I had SK and SS+, and for me on 3 different bikes, they were pain to install. Had to use soapy water. First install will be hard, but later on if you have to take them off and install them again, it should go easier since tire will stretch on the rim.
Old 06-14-22, 10:00 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Totally dependant on Rim (and probably other factors).

the OG GP5000 was impossible for me to mount - bead was too tight. The GK SS was too easy to mount - too easy in that the bead was too loose to easily hold air and pump up with a hand pump.

But anecdotal stories are worth the paper they are printed on here.

ETRO has published new specs for tires and wheels. So, in theory, going forward everything will be much more compatible than the **** show that was tubeless pre-2022.

But as a consumer, good luck knowing if your tires or wheels meet the new ETRO specifications. That data is top secret. For instance, the new GP5000 is clearly built to different specs than the original, but is conti going to tell you that??? No....
Old 06-14-22, 11:02 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by ksdog
Are the panaracer gravelking SS easy to put on and take off ? I will be running with a tube. I currently have the gravelking SK and they are really difficult to put on and take off.
I've had both the SS and SKs and I'd say they're equally difficult to put on. On my rims (WTB Kom i25) it's not that difficult.
Old 06-14-22, 12:32 PM
ksdog

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I have 2 different bikes with different rims and the SK's are kind of a pain getting on and off. Was hoping the SS's were easier. I do like those SK's and assume the SS's would be for the rides that just take in miles involving more asphalt than gravel.
Old 06-14-22, 08:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
SS was easy to install and remove on my tubeless setup.
Old 06-14-22, 08:48 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I run GK SK and SS with tubes on a couple of bikes. No install/removal issues ever, but as many have said, it depends on the rims.
Old 06-15-22, 05:35 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
I've run SK, SS, and the slicks. The first mount can be not bad to a little snug..as others have said..depends on the rim. After they've been mounted once, then they go on/off fairly easily.

Invest in a tire jack, they're not expensive..very handy to have around and makes life easier.
Old 06-15-22, 04:08 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
I've run SK, SS, and the slicks. The first mount can be not bad to a little snug..as others have said..depends on the rim. After they've been mounted once, then they go on/off fairly easily.

Invest in a tire jack, they're not expensive..very handy to have around and makes life easier.
oh, good point. I almost assume everyone has one of these. Worth ever cent!

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir.../dp/B001AYML7K

Old 06-15-22, 06:44 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
yeah I have to use that tire jack almost 90%+ of the time on my gf rims she got on her scott gravel bike. gp5000 and some gravel tires. I can't remember which models been a while now. that bike was become her zwift bike.

The other 20+ rims I have done I can put on by hand or use a tire lever with not much force.

I also have the small version of that tire jack when I go riding incase someone else's bike is PITA to put back on.

Old 06-15-22, 07:27 PM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
It really depends on your rims. I have a tubed, steel beaded Panaracer RibMo that has notorious rep for difficulty getting off and installing on the rim. On my rims however, I can easily get it off and on without using any tools, just with my hands and fingers.