Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Eddy Merckx Value

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-22, 01:39 PM
usedbike27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eddy Merckx Value

7/4/22
Hi,
I have been speaking with Cycles Makaron about the value of this Eddy Merckx. He is somewhat stumped. Please see the photos. He says, "This is not a Corsa Extra, it is a separate, unnamed EMC model - definitely rarer, 100% original and more valuable to a collector.
If I were to sell it, I would take off all the hardware and put up the frame with the fork (and a very careful description) for really serious money - and calmly waited for offers.
There would be not many of them, but they would also be serious ". He says that this is a 1998 team Gan paint scheme.
It is a 53cm made of Columbus Genius. I would be glad to provide any other information. Thanks
Paul

It is a 53cm made of Columbus Genius. I would be glad to provide any other information. Thanks
Paul
Old 07-04-22, 04:51 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Start high and settle where comfortable?

Cycles Makaron seems to know more about Merckx bikes than anyone I’ve ever met or heard from. If Makaron doesn’t have any further information, then I wonder what a collector would be valuing the bike for? Would they know the history behind the build, or would they be buying it for its obscurity? And how much more does this aspect reel in?

I know these are more questions not values or answers… leave it to the experts!

Last edited by SoccerBallXan; 07-04-22 at 04:58 PM.
Likes For SoccerBallXan:
Old 07-04-22, 05:33 PM
usedbike27

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks SoccerBallXan. So, how do I get in touch with the experts?
Old 07-04-22, 06:15 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Give it time. Our local forum experts are currently using their expertise for beer, brats, and bike rides!
Old 07-04-22, 11:41 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts
...without some sort of provenance, I don't understand how someone here ought to turn up who knows more about it than you already know.
Certainly there are a range of opinions here with regard to values, and collectability, etc., etc. It's not an item that comes up for sale often, so how do we estimate a value, unless it's a "value to me".

It's not my size, so I'm not trying to knock it down on value. I just don't think you're gonna get better information here on a one off.
Old 07-05-22, 06:33 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Damn - love this. The paint is beautiful, and 90s nivachrome is my sweet spot. I'll give a dollar amount a shot.

I don't pretend to be an expert on this model, but I don't think rare automatically equates with value either. I would probably value it similarly to an MXL...around 1000ish for frame...go up for more stuff with it. Complete bike...probably 1700-1900ish? The usual caveats apply - what market, the add, patience, etc.

I could also be totally wrong.

Last edited by cb400bill; 07-05-22 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-05-22, 07:41 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
I mean, it says "Eddy Merckx Custom" on the tubing sticker. Did most bikes of the period get that (as it it was a custom set of butted tubes that EM got - I've heard that he got MXL tubing made because he didn't like the look of the oversized top tube in MAX, but it was otherwise the same), or does it mean that it was tubing used by Merckx for custom builds (I haven't heard of them doing that, but maybe they had a special wing of the shop for really high end customers who could pay for custom geometries).
Old 07-05-22, 07:52 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Obscurity often has little impact on value. Its all about desirability. Obscurity/rarity plus desirability = great. If you think it is worth a lot, just put it up on eBay at a high buy it now price. The market will tell you if you were right. And if it sells quick, you were low but hey, you got your price!

I typically either set pricing a little below sold history (buyers can search sales history too). If there is no sales history, I go with my gut, and also set a price that I think is a nice return for me. If I paid $20 for an item, sell it for $200, and later learn it was worth $500, I am perfectly OK with it. It has happened to me many times.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 07-05-22, 07:52 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by himespau
I mean, it says "Eddy Merckx Custom" on the tubing sticker. Did most bikes of the period get that (as it it was a custom set of butted tubes that EM got - I've heard that he got MXL tubing made because he didn't like the look of the oversized top tube in MAX, but it was otherwise the same), or does it mean that it was tubing used by Merckx for custom builds (I haven't heard of them doing that, but maybe they had a special wing of the shop for really high end customers who could pay for custom geometries).
I think it's the former...genius tubes that Columbus spec'd for Merckx. MXL and MAX are pretty similar, as you indicate. Some of the larger customers (Colnago) had the leverage to spec specific tubing...but I think a lot of this stuff is also just marketing and a way to differentiate/brand.
Old 07-05-22, 07:58 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by wrk101
Obscurity often has little impact on value. Its all about desirability. Obscurity/rarity plus desirability = great. If you think it is worth a lot, just put it up on eBay at a high buy it now price. The market will tell you if you were right. And if it sells quick, you were low but hey, you got your price!

I typically either set pricing a little below sold history (buyers can search sales history too). If there is no sales history, I go with my gut, and also set a price that I think is a nice return for me. If I paid $20 for an item, sell it for $200, and later learn it was worth $500, I am perfectly OK with it. It has happened to me many times.
This is exactly right. Here's where I'm unsure on this equation...

A De Rosa 35th, or the Signature model, are just SLX De Rosas with different paint, and some panto on the parts. If I didn't know about those models/desirability, I'd value it the same as any other SLX De Rosa. Maybe this is something like that...I don't know. To me, I'm valuing it as a pretty Nivachrome Merckx. I probably gave it a little bump in value based on what the poster said...I'd probably place value a little under an MXL otherwise. It really is especially beautiful IMO.
Old 07-11-22, 09:02 AM
CyclesMakaron

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Statistically speaking: for one frame made of Genius there are several hundred Max / Mxl frames - for a collector it is quite important
Likes For CyclesMakaron: