Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Ah Ha moment with cycling shoes & pedals

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Ah Ha moment with cycling shoes & pedals

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-22, 01:27 PM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Hikers

Hiking boot = a boot designed for people who are on a hike
When not hiking in nature, you won't see people wearing hiking boots when walking in cities.
​​​​​All the hikers I know have normal shoes which they wear when not hiking in nature.
​​​​​

Last edited by Branko D; 08-27-22 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-27-22, 01:39 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
When not hiking in nature, you won't see people wearing hiking boots when walking in cities.
​​​​​All the hikers I know have normal shoes which they wear when not hiking in nature.
​​​​​
I don't know what country you live in, but here in Canada I see plenty of people using hiking shoes or boots as their daily casual footwear.
Old 08-27-22, 02:06 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
​​​​​
Because when you're walking 45 seconds between your car and your house, walking five minutes to the corner store, walking 10 feet between your desk and the water cooler, you don't need excellent walking shoes that are designed for walking many hours. You can wear whatever fashion shoes, dress shoes, slippers, loafers, stilettos, etc you desire in an urban setting. You are pampered by civilization.

Last edited by Yan; 08-27-22 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-27-22, 02:18 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
You and I have both been cycling for a long time so let's not go around trying to BS each other.
LOL ..... unclear on the concept of "Bike Forums."

So if not for that, why did you join BF?

Old 08-27-22, 06:54 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't know what country you live in, but here in Canada I see plenty of people using hiking shoes or boots as their daily casual footwear.
The hiking boots/ shoes you see people walking around in are not nearly as stiff soled as clipless shoes that are worth bothering with.
Old 08-27-22, 11:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Because when you're walking 45 seconds between your car and your house, walking five minutes to the corner store, walking 10 feet between your desk and the water cooler, you don't need excellent walking shoes that are designed for walking many hours. You can wear whatever fashion shoes, dress shoes, slippers, loafers, stilettos, etc you desire in an urban setting. You are pampered by civilization.

You know they make walking shoes that are a lot better suited to long walks on pavement than hiking shoes, right? Call me pampered, but I don't dress like a mountain climber to go up stairs either.
Old 08-27-22, 11:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by wolfchild

In August? Bleccch!
Old 08-27-22, 11:52 PM
Yan 

Originally Posted by livedarklions
You know they make walking shoes that are a lot better suited to long walks on pavement than hiking shoes, right? Call me pampered, but I don't dress like a mountain climber to go up stairs either.
In this day and age of modern first world America, the only people who take long walks on pavement are the homeless.

Even tourists here in NYC don't take long walks. They take the open top double decker buses. Jump off for 30 seconds to snap a photo, get right back on. The country is getting fatter everyday.

Last edited by Yan; 08-27-22 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-27-22, 11:58 PM
Yan 

Originally Posted by Kapusta
The hiking boots/ shoes you see people walking around in are not nearly as stiff soled as clipless shoes that are worth bothering with.
Apparently you lack experience in both clipless shoes and hiking shoes. Because your statements about both are wrong, in the same sentence. Quite an achievement.

Here's a photo I just took of one of my pairs of cycling shoes. Shimano ME3. These shoes are nothing special, just some totally bland, inexpensive mountain bike shoes that I bought for commuting. This particular model of shoe is very popular and people like them. It has 4.3 stars in REI reviews, which is why I bought them. Notice how flexible the toe area is. That's almost my total toe flexibility. I use Time ATAC pedals and the shoes are great. No hot spots when I wear them on full day rides.

I just pulled some very expensive Salomon hiking boots out of my closet to compare. The hiking boots are stiffer. FYI boots go all the way up in stiffness depending on what terrain they are designed for. I have a pair of La Sportiva mountaineering boots that have a steel bar in the sole to prevent any bending at all. My longest walk in them is over 60 miles on a multi-day trip.

So no, clipless shoes are not always stiffer than walking shoes. There are soft walking shoes and stiff walking shoes. Just as there are soft clipless shoes and stiff clipless shoes. You determine what kind of use scenario and terrain you have, and then you get the correct type of hiking/clipless shoes. Are you a race cyclist or a bike tourist? There are good clipless shoes for every user. You have multiple pairs of hiking boots depending on what kind of terrain you will be walking on (at least I do, maybe you don't), just as you have multiple pairs of clipless shoes depending on which bike you're riding.

Seriously is everyone around here living the monk life or what? Or am I just a totally corrupted consumerist? Yes, I know there are people in Afriae living on $1 a day. I'm sorry.

https://www.rei.com/product/141419/s...ike-shoes-mens

Last edited by Yan; 08-28-22 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-28-22, 01:29 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
In this day and age of modern first world America, the only people who take long walks on pavement are the homeless.
Boom, obesity epidemic. Walking is alive and well in most European cities which are even remotely walkable (which is most of them). I don't see people doing it in hiking boots, that'd be ridiculous. There are different shoes with different purposes and shoes which match different clothes aesthetically because style is a thing.

I mean, I understand that if you're going on a bike tour and you want to be clipped in and you don't want to bring any extra shoes, a touring type shoe with MTB cleats makes sense. For people who have other use scenarios, it just doesn't. When commuting being clipped in offers no objective benefit, and the disadvantage is that you're stuck with some sort of bike shoes, which aren't as nice to walk in, and might not go with the rest of your outfit. On the other hand, for people who're going to race, the dedicated road shoes are lighter, don't have excess stuff on them, and are stiff yet comfortable.

Sure, if I was limited to only one bike and only one pair of shoes, I can see your point, the touring style clipless shoe is an acceptable compromise, but I'm not.

Last edited by Branko D; 08-28-22 at 04:04 AM.
Old 08-28-22, 04:51 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
The biggest issue with clipless commuting, in my experience, is safety .... if you need to contend with rush-hour traffic on bad roads in a city which regularly reaches the top three in cycling fatalities, you want to be able to get off and away from the bike in a hurry because if you go down in traffic traffic will go up and over you.
Old 08-28-22, 04:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Yan

Even tourists here in NYC don't take long walks. They take the open top double decker buses. Jump off for 30 seconds to snap a photo, get right back on. The country is getting fatter everyday.

Complete BS.
Old 08-28-22, 04:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

TIL only people who live in monasteries don't use clipless.
Old 08-28-22, 05:21 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Apparently you lack experience in both clipless shoes and hiking shoes. Because your statements about both are wrong, in the same sentence. Quite an achievement.

https://www.rei.com/product/141419/s...ike-shoes-mens
I have extensive experience with both.

Wow, you managed to bend the toe. Impressive.
Old 08-28-22, 07:10 AM
Yan 

Originally Posted by Kapusta
I have extensive experience with both.

Wow, you managed to bend the toe. Impressive.
Yes, it's impressive because it showed how clueless you are.
Old 08-28-22, 07:34 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
I just pulled some very expensive Salomon hiking boots out of my closet to compare. The hiking boots are stiffer. FYI boots go all the way up in stiffness depending on what terrain they are designed for. I have a pair of La Sportiva mountaineering boots that have a steel bar in the sole to prevent any bending at all. My longest walk in them is over 60 miles on a multi-day trip.
When we just had our stationary bike, the pedals have quite pointed edges and I can feel it on the soles of my shoes and actually caused pain and even numbness.

Until a solution was found, I used hiking shoes on the stationary bike because it's the only shoes where I didn't feel the unusually pointy edges of the pedals. The soles are quite stiff. Eventually, I got used to the shoes and just kept on using the hiking shoes on the stationary bike.
Old 09-14-22, 06:44 PM
Highcad

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Back in the day both toe clips/straps and clipless pedals were touted as "allowing you to pull up" and therefore deliver more power. Then power pedals were developed and repeated studies showed that no pro cyclist ever pulls up. I pull up once in a great while to relieve pressure on a foot but NEVER as part of regular pedaling. Some people work to pull up but they are wasting their time.
I definitely pull up when doing quick acceleration out of the saddle. It's funny how many "myths" are out there in cycling - from equipment to technique to bike fit, etc....
Old 09-15-22, 10:59 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Poster on BF: 'I got a new Trek bike for my wife'

BF response: 'Depending on the frame and components, good trade!'