Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-22, 12:07 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 2,799 Times in 532 Posts
cooperryder cool cowboy and steer sculptures, they really give a sense of motion. And I knew I'd seen that red pegasus logo somewhere recently. there's not any oil drilling in my area of south London, and then I remembered it was a vintage jersey on eBay..

A couple of bird spots today....

When I ride the pink Tommasini I swear I randomly keeping coming across more pink things than usual.

A definite eastern flavour in Brick Lane....

...where I also see my favourite C&V car of the day, a 1968 Volvo P1800.

Another new artwork....

A moment of peace and quiet near Liverpool St station..

...and nearby I find a lovely old Victorian bath house I'd not seen before, that has remained intact as the modern world shot up around it.

And I never quite know how the Brit sense of humour will be taken by others, no offence is intended and I think we have the right to take the mickey out of ourselves. In that vein I did this spoof adventure ride post yesterday that some of you may enjoy if you've like my musings and pics on here. In view of the weekends events I posted it on a London site and it has more pics than I can post in one go here, so I'll just post the link in case anyone fancies it. https://www.lfgss.com/comments/16689974/
Old 09-19-22, 03:30 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Really nice weather today about 70 with a light breeze the aspen's just started to turn and a lot of the wild flowers are still in bloom so a lot of color. Took way ride to the library on back roads trails with the Schwinn Mesa GSX did have flat had a good

run of nearly a year without flats and now I have had several in just couple weeks.
Old 09-19-22, 07:47 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Always enjoy your fall Aspen pics zukahn1
Old 09-20-22, 01:31 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
JRA tonight, with the goal of coming across another rattlesnake and getting a pic. Barely a mile from the house, jackpot:

And this guy; I've never before come across a green-tinged toad:

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 09-20-22, 07:50 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
JRA tonight, with the goal of coming across another rattlesnake and getting a pic. Barely a mile from the house, jackpot:

And this guy; I've never before come across a green-tinged toad:

DD
Didn't I read somewhere that you are supposed to lick its back for the complete experience? Ah, here it is:

"Toad licking is an act carried out by people to induce hallucinations. It involves licking the back skin of a toad or extracting those secretions a toad coats its back with, to take in the secreted compounds. Although this sounds completely disgusting, users are more than happy to do it because of the feelings they claim it can generate."

Question: JRA = "Just Riding Around"?

Perhaps the green toads are safe, but the red ones aren't? Exercise caution if you come across a yellow one? Like, WOW man...

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider:
Old 09-20-22, 08:40 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,503 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Really nice weather today about 70 with a light breeze the aspen's just started to turn and a lot of the wild flowers are still in bloom so a lot of color.

I also enjoy your pics.
After driving through Alma last month I got a first hand view of the beauty of the area.

Also the elevation...man o man!

What's it like to regularly ride at 10,000 feet.

Somewhere I read it's the highest or one of the highest communities in the U.S.

I also read a bit about Aspen trees.

They are remarkable and very beautiful!
Old 09-20-22, 09:26 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Alma is the highest incorporated Town in North America at 10.700 feet and the high points of the trails roads in this area are a little over 12,000 which is about the tree line. Riding isn't bad if you used to it unless it is a poor air quality day which we get a lot of during the Summer from forest fires visible smoke haze a lot of days.
Old 09-20-22, 10:40 AM
cooperryder

Originally Posted by jamesdak
A much nicer day out today. Low 50s, clear and beautiful. Took out the Guv'nor and just enjoyed the morning with a lot of picture taking.

James, what camera do you use?
Phone camera?

Your photos are so clear and vivid.

It's almost like one can reach out and touch those horses.
Old 09-20-22, 10:49 AM
cooperryder

Originally Posted by DQRider
When you are on a Quest for Cheese, it is best to ride French.

Of your bikes I've seen on this forum your Peugeot Canyon Express is my favorite.

That blue is such a great color and appears to match the cheese company sign pretty closely.
Back in 2004 on a 50 some odd day bike tour ,Wisconsin and Minnesota were among the states I pedaled across.

I was introduced to cheese curds for the first time and liked them...good energy for cycling.

Last edited by cooperryder; 09-20-22 at 10:53 AM.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 09-20-22, 11:22 AM
cooperryder

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
While looking at the photo above, I made out a strange white mark in the middle lane of Elm which looked out of place (just left of the streetlight). Looked up Dealey Plaza on Google Earth and realized it's a painted X, marking the spot where JFK was hit by the final shot. There are two more painted X's in the same lane, closer to the Book Depository, which represent the location where the first two shots hit. On Street View they appear as though they've been maintained for quite some number of years. I can also make out plaques alongside Elm which I assume contain details of the assassination, which is understandable, but damn - X marks the spot?

Anyway. Thanks for these photos - I'd never heard of the Drover/Longhorn sculptures, and that movable drill-bit art installation is definitely a one-of-a-kind thing I can get behind

DD
The location of the Kennedy assassination is a big tourist 'must see' spot in our area.

The South Fork Ranch from the 'Dallas show' (think J.R.) used to also be super popular for tourists but I think the interest in that is diminished now.

Probably in the range of 10 to 12 times a year I cycled past Dealey Plaza and every time people are out and about checking it out.

I usually stop for pictures.
Sunday mornings are best as traffic is light.

Once I stopped right on one of those X's and took a picture.

I've noticed they do seem to repaint when the X's become faint.

One of my 40 mile routes around a good portion of the area takes me by there.

I too am still fascinated by the whole sordid affair and hope in my lifetime the truth about it all comes out.

As to the red Pegasus sign that was originally on top of the Magnolia building in downtown Dallas...here's what I've read.

According to the news article I'm linking the Magnolia building was Dallas' first skyscraper built in 1922 and was the headquarters of the Magnolia Oil Company. Pegasus was the company logo and I think it eventually became Mobil Oil.

That original Pegasus in my picture was eventually replaced by a new one and put in storage and at some point the original Pegasus was restored and put up in front of the city run Omni Hotel.

I stop fairly often and snap a pic of whatever bike I'm on in front of it.

According to the same news article the framework supporting Pegasus number two atop the Magnolia building is in need of hundreds of thousands of dollars in repairs to prevent Pegasus from taking a brief flight to the ground and landing on someone's head.

Mercy , that wouldn't be good.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/polit...officials-say/

Last edited by cooperryder; 09-20-22 at 11:30 AM.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 09-20-22, 11:35 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperryder
James, what camera do you use?
Phone camera?

Your photos are so clear and vivid.

It's almost like one can reach out and touch those horses.
Thanks,

It's my P&S Canon G9 X. Sort of my junk camera but certainly better than the pics my old galaxy 7 takes. I picked up the Canon mainly to use while bike riding since it's so small and had decent image quality.

My real camera gear does even better.

Old 09-20-22, 01:11 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Question: JRA = "Just Riding Around"?*

Don't know about the toad-licking as my "experimental" days are in the rear-view, but if I did, I dunno that I'd want to attempt riding in the dark with all the critters about while tripping balls

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 09-20-22, 02:46 PM
zukahn1 

Another nice day just took a short ride to town took the long way though the old cemetery to get more aspen pics. The view from there is great pics just don't really do it justice.

Old 09-20-22, 06:56 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

The Power of Cheeeeeeze!

Originally Posted by cooperryder
Of your bikes I've seen on this forum your Peugeot Canyon Express is my favorite.

That blue is such a great color and appears to match the cheese company sign pretty closely.
Back in 2004 on a 50 some odd day bike tour ,Wisconsin and Minnesota were among the states I pedaled across.

I was introduced to cheese curds for the first time and liked them...good energy for cycling.
Thanks for the compliment! I've reached the point where whatever bike I am riding at the time is my favorite for some reason. The key is to choose the right bike for the right ride. Apparently, I have succeeded in what I intended when I started building these wonderful lugged-steel bikes.

Frankly, the rides I enjoy the most are those of shorter length, with many options for refreshment. That's why I have focused most of my efforts on first-gen mountain bikes. These can rock fat, comfy tires, and 3x? drivetrains so that I am never forced out-of-the-saddle if I don't want to be. Although, I find that when I keep the stock handlebars, I can stand up and pull big gears whenever I want. At my age, that feels like WINNING!

Now... Cheese! I've loved it all my life. For my first two decades, cheese came in plastic-wrapped single slices of pasteurized-processed "cheese food". Still loved it. And when I later discovered real cheese, OMG!

What to call that? A gastronomic epiphany? Aged cheddar with those little crystals in it... Brie on a burger with caramelized onions? Oh yeah. Gimme all that and more!

Old 09-21-22, 10:05 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Closing summer out with a couple of rides in the mountains.

On Monday, I made a run up the trail to the Pass via the 2 mile long Snoqualmie Tunnel wanting to try out the new Edelux headlight I’d put on the bike. I’m really happy with how well it works.

Trying out the new light with a run up to the pass by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

An Alpental valley view…

Alpental by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The Old Snoqualmie Pass Road

The Old Snoqualmie Pass Road by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

A stop at Franklin Falls

Franklin Falls by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

On Tuesday, Bob Freeman and I rode up to Artist Point from the town of Glacier near Mt. Baker.

I offered to do the driving to Glacier so Bob could nap after the ride was over :-). It was a little hazy from wildfire smoke but other than that, it was a really nice day.

Views near Heather Meadows, the upper chairlift base of the Mt. Baker Ski area.

Last summer ride with Bob by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Leaving Heather Meadows for the final push up to Artist Point

You finally get a good view of Mt. Baker from the Artist Point parking lot.

Personally, I find the view of Mt. Shuksan to be more impressive than Baker. Shuksan provides the background for our lunch stop.

Last edited by northbend; 09-21-22 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-21-22, 11:52 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 6,467 Times in 3,199 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
It was a little hazy from wildfire smoke but other than that, it was a really nice day.
Fortunate. That fire east of Gold Bar has Seattle smelling awful today. ​​​​​​
Old 09-21-22, 11:55 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by thinktubes
Was worried about getting cited for “parading without a permit."

Shot in Las Vegas, NM. I've hung out there a few times. The inside of the jail was filmed in Taos. Beautiful country and fantastic skiing.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-21-22, 12:11 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
Organising a vintage cx ride in november I went checking an area that was on fire some weeks ago.
I passed the place where my mother and my grandparents lived at the start of WW II. The small farm burned down during the war. Formerly it was impossible to reach that near this side of the canal so I took a picture.

Luckely the fire brigade succeeded to control the fire and the rain some days ago helped a lot. Peat burns under the surface and is difficult to stop.
But the lower green is comin' back fast.

The ride will be no problem here.
Back home passin' a bridge where I slipped and fell some years ago, I still feel my shoulder on colder and wet days.

Likes For fabiofarelli:
Old 09-21-22, 12:36 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

A Little Lunchtime Ramble

Still having my little fling with Betty Bleu. It started with cheese, but now we are onto midday rendezvous (it's plural; pronounce the 's'). She's not as sporty as my other girls, but for comfort, she's got them all beat.

We only had time for a local loop around the lakes, and a stop at Dairy Queen (DQRider, remember?). But I made the most of it with a few photos.

Crouching down for the correct angle on this next shot was sketchy as hell! The dock is rickety, rocks back and forth, and it is covered in goose poop, luckily dried in the sun this late in the day. My arse was hanging over the water...

And now, back to work, I guess.

Old 09-21-22, 01:02 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Crouching down for the correct angle on this next shot was sketchy as hell!
That's commitment.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-22-22, 05:54 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Rode 34 miles up to the Bot Gard. Weird cold front came through and ate the sun. Jerry Ortega sightings = 1

Old 09-22-22, 10:21 AM
vp1337

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 33 Posts
From my morning commute. Westland, NL

Old 09-22-22, 12:55 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by thinktubes

Jerry Ortega sightings = 1
I've seen this statement a number of times (perhaps from more than one member?); it's an inside joke, huh?

DD
Old 09-22-22, 03:05 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I've been a bit of riding, and a bit less posting and reading. We've been out on the tandem several times too.

From last weekend, or was it the weekend before, I fergit?

You long-term BF member may recognize this bike from previous posts. I believe from a bunch of little clues that it is a repainted '74 Champion Team. It is rigged with 2x5 gearing, sew-up tires, Weinmann Carrera brakes. It loves to go, fast or slow, it doesn't matter.
Old 09-22-22, 05:41 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,390 Times in 759 Posts
Just riding around yesterday. I don't normally take a lot of pictures, but took a few...

Baha'i Temple in Wilmette:

Ryan Field, where Northwestern loses their home football games:

Cleaning up some felled wood on the North Shore Channel:

Ghandi:

Plenty of his sayings around the base. Here are a couple faves:

Arrrr! I first noticed this last fall — probably over-the-top Halloween decor. It's still there:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.