Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Getting more height out of short steerer

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-20, 01:04 AM
Wilbur76

Bikes: 2020 Lynskey GR300, 1987 Diamondback Ascent, 1991 Skykomish Marble Point, 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1992 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 226 Times in 84 Posts

Not having any luck finding a thread on this so I知 hoping ya値l know...

Picked up this vintage 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR that I壇 like to convert to gravel drop bar. The current cockpit is long and slammed. The specialized fork uses a starnut. Would it be possible to remove the starnut and use a threadless stem adaptor (like one to replace a quill stem) to get some height out of the steerer? I plan to use a short stem with a steep angle and some high riser drop bars but hoping I can eke out more cm

from the steerer too. TIA
Old 11-30-20, 02:59 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
If you are just looking for extra height, how about something like this

Old 11-30-20, 04:10 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
They make threadless stem extenders that clamp on just like a threadless stem. https://www.amazon.com/Delta-Cycle-B.../dp/B000FHBED0
Old 11-30-20, 04:52 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I have the stem extender dsaul linked on one of my bikes. Looks truly stupid but works quite well.

Leaves the starnut where it is. From the height of your saddle you might want the longer version that same company makes.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 11-30-20, 08:30 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
I've used one that I thought worked excellent it was branded Satori. It has a cylindrical clamp. If I can find it I'll snap a picture of it. I've used the Delta product also, I feel the style of the Satori is a better looking piece. I like how the Satori comes with spacers.
Old 11-30-20, 08:54 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Another option is a weird stem, like the Happy Stem or Cigne stem from Velo Orange

Cigne Stem

Happy Stem

Last edited by DorkDisk; 11-30-20 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Edit: You could also swap the steerer/crown assembly for one with a longer steerer
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 11-30-20, 09:08 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
there are a few handlebars on the market that have some rise to them: Specialized Hover, Surly Truck Stop, Soma Condor, etc.

I'd make sure the rear suspension works and has replacement parts available before you sink too much money into that bike. does that fork still work? it's likely that you can find parts for the fork at Suspension Fork Parts.
Old 09-21-22, 01:32 AM
WOTWU

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Schwinn Breeze, Bridgestone MB-4 & XO-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur76

Picked up this vintage 1994 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR that I壇 like to convert to gravel drop bar. The current cockpit is long and slammed. The specialized fork uses a starnut. Would it be possible to remove the starnut and use a threadless stem adaptor (like one to replace a quill stem) to get some height out of the steerer? I plan to use a short stem with a steep angle and some high riser drop bars but hoping I can eke out more cm

I'm having a similar issue on a fixed gear I bought used. The previous owner cut the fork down to a nub and I have very little steerer to work with. I bought a high rise stem like one of the above but the stem cap bolt doesn't reach the fork. Are there longer bolts available? I'm talking millimeters before it reaches the receiving threads.
Old 09-21-22, 07:25 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
@ WOTWU
Do you just need a longer cap bolt?
They can be had.
Or drive out the "starnut" and put one in higher.
They are just tensioners, so they don't need to be driven in far
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_st-z.html#starnut
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 09-21-22, 08:15 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
I had to work on a bike with a Cigne Stem. The owner was having trouble keeping it attached to the fork. That is one you definitely do not want.

Clamp on risers are OK for casual use. If you're pulling hard, I recommend a standard road stem with a 30-degree rise, like this one from Ritchey Logic. https://ritcheylogic.com/bike/stems/...-axis-30d-stem
Old 09-23-22, 09:55 PM
WOTWU

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Schwinn Breeze, Bridgestone MB-4 & XO-2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
@ WOTWU
Do you just need a longer cap bolt?
They can be had.
Or drive out the "starnut" and put one in higher.
They are just tensioners, so they don't need to be driven in far
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_st-z.html#starnut
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html
I considered stacking a starnut but luckily found a longer bolt at the hardware store. Crisis averted
Likes For WOTWU:
Old 09-25-22, 01:53 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
The Satori, here it is on the Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30
Old 09-25-22, 03:19 PM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilbur76

check if it's a pressed in stem as these can be replaced. They can be replaced anyway by any frame builder or a machine shop and it's usually inexpensive.
Old 10-01-22, 07:10 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
I had to work on a bike with a Cigne Stem. The owner was having trouble keeping it attached to the fork. That is one you definitely do not want.
Not sure what this refers to or what the actual problem is, but I run a Cigne stem on a a bike that has a couple thousand miles on it since I put the stem on. I haven't had any issues at all. Seems to work fine and looks nice. What exactly is/was the issue?
Old 10-01-22, 09:18 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Not sure what this refers to or what the actual problem is, but I run a Cigne stem on a a bike that has a couple thousand miles on it since I put the stem on. I haven't had any issues at all. Seems to work fine and looks nice. What exactly is/was the issue?
The stem came with a sort of semi-recumbent cruiser the guy ordered on Amazon. He couldn't get it positively attached to the fork's steerer, and neither could we. It would wobble back and forth and twist on the end of the steerer. We ordered him an inexpensive forged stem that solved the problem. It appeared to us that the single clamp bolt on a split tube holds fine on a kid's Strider, but there wasn't enough friction and overlap to keep it solidly attached to an adult bike. Maybe it would have worked if the steerer extended farther into the stem, but it wasn't long enough.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 10-01-22 at 09:24 AM.