Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why don't people want to pedal anymore?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why don't people want to pedal anymore?

Old 09-07-22, 04:11 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Don't worry. Their LIPO batteries will die soon, just like LIPOs in other gadgets, and they will be too expensive to replace. Then the e-bikes will be relegated to the basements or garages, two flat tires and a dead battery.

Also, take a look at the article linked in 3alarmer's post #96 above to get a full understanding of what the hazards and problems are with LIPOs. It's worth the read.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Last edited by CroMo Mike; 09-07-22 at 04:36 PM.
Likes For CroMo Mike:
Old 09-07-22, 04:23 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

America Has An E-Bike Problem That Can’t Be Solved With More E-Bikes

...given the thread topic, this is an interesting read. Not so much "Get off my lawn !" as "How many people can be on my lawn before it's a problem ? Do I need to move to a larger lot ?"
If a bunch of slow, semi-skilled pedal-bikers hit the streets we;'d hear the same complaints.

The obvious answer is redesign to accommodate the new traffic balance, but this is America. In Europe they just redraw the lines on the road and everything is fine.
Old 09-07-22, 05:17 PM
bikehoco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
When I get older, I’ll buy an e-recumbent and will get the same amount of exercise as those on e-bikes.

Likes For bikehoco:
Old 09-07-22, 06:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by CroMo Mike
Don't worry. Their LIPO batteries will die soon, just like LIPOs in other gadgets, and they will be too expensive to replace. Then the e-bikes will be relegated to the basements or garages, two flat tires and a dead battery.

Also, take a look at the article linked in 3alarmer's post #96 above to get a full understanding of what the hazards and problems are with LIPOs. It's worth the read.
I agree that a relatively cheap bike with a bad battery more than likely will go to the dump unless the aftermarket comes up with cheap alternatives. My wife’s e-bike cost six grand. When the battery inevitably dies, it will be far cheaper to buy a replacement battery rather than an entire bike. Currently the replacement cost $1000. People who invest big bucks will spend to keep their mounts alive.

And as a FYI, she was a hard core roadie until she got severe RA. This allows her to still get out without too much pain and still enjoy the sport she loves.

Last edited by rsbob; 09-07-22 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-07-22, 06:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
In the hypothetical situation of

If a motorist has a "3 cocktail lunch" and is driving home and is sideswiped by a car in an intersection who ran a red light. Is it our guys' fault because he was tipsy? I mean, he should have been paying more attention although his light was green

That analogy is a bit of a stretch to be sure, but i was just trying to illustrate the fact that ignoring a rule, law or guideline doesnt make you guilty across the board of every contingency
a parent to institute better decision making hasn't been enforceable to there kids.

The legal sticker for age limitations takes the normal liability off the person riding the bicycle. If the ebike was not suppose to be there, then the case is rather simple. Put in other scenarios & what not, then it's a lawyers case. That is not what this is about though.
Old 09-07-22, 06:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
It's not that e-bikes go so fast that bothers me, instead it's the way they tend to chase other bikes, knock them down and steal their lunch money.
Survival of the fastest.

Old 09-07-22, 07:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Not from what I have seen. There are more kids (12 or so) on throttle e-bikes than I’ve seen on regular bikes in years. In the area where I live nothing is flat and for years you wouldn’t see many kids pedaling a BMX type bike around. Now kids just cruise up the hills.

You can call them what you want to call them, they aren’t pedaling to keep the bike moving. Usually they ride on sidewalks. Sometimes they’ll turn the pedals a few times and stop pedaling, and sometimes they just start off with power from a complete stop.

I would think the vast majority of e-bikes are throttle type that don’t require any pedaling to get an assist. Too much speed for too little movement.

I do think there is a natural tendency to turn bike pedals and then throttle the bike when someone is tired of pedaling or wants to go faster.

John
Again these "bikes" you are describing are mopeds, really crappy mopeds but mopeds. A bicycle requires pedaling and an e-bike will only work under pedaling a moped can use pedaling but is generally used with a throttle. Let's not conflate them with actual e-bikes and cause issues for cyclists.

Yes these throttled machines are a menace same with the e-scooters on the sidewalks but if we start lumping them together with bicycles we can cause a lot problems for actual cyclists down the road.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-07-22, 07:30 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Again these "bikes" you are describing are mopeds, really crappy mopeds but mopeds. A bicycle requires pedaling and an e-bike will only work under pedaling a moped can use pedaling but is generally used with a throttle. Let's not conflate them with actual e-bikes and cause issues for cyclists.

Yes these throttled machines are a menace same with the e-scooters on the sidewalks but if we start lumping them together with bicycles we can cause a lot problems for actual cyclists down the road.
You’re way too late to the party not to lump them together.

No one sells them as mopeds. They are sold as e-bikes and I’m guessing the vast majority of e-bikes are throttle and not pedal assist. It’s not going to change anytime soon.

John
Old 09-07-22, 07:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts

No one sells them as mopeds. They are sold as e-bikes and I’m guessing the vast majority of e-bikes are throttle and not pedal assist. It’s not going to change anytime soon.

John
Not really late to the party I have been saying this for years and years. All the bikes we sell are throttle free.
Old 09-07-22, 09:05 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Electric motor -bike

Am I missing something here?
There are not supposed to be motorized vehicles on a bike trail. The whole point of a bike trail is its for bikes . An electric motor = motorized .
My fear is on busy trails, the heavier bike and speeds is going to see more injuries. So are they insured ?? Im all for less cars on the road, but i doubt electric bikes will do this. A highly developed transit system and walkable cities will .
I'm all for electric assistance if for older or disabled and it gets them out , and they know how to ride safely however.. IMO...

Last edited by rossiny; 09-08-22 at 07:52 PM.
Likes For rossiny:
Old 09-07-22, 09:22 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,123 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
a parent to institute better decision making hasn't been enforceable to there kids.

The legal sticker for age limitations takes the normal liability off the person riding the bicycle. If the ebike was not suppose to be there, then the case is rather simple. Put in other scenarios & what not, then it's a lawyers case. That is not what this is about though.

limiting a bike to 12 mph unless you are over 21 is an unenforceable premise though

just like Honda or Yamaha putting a fictional “16 and up” suggestion on motorcycles clearly designed for pre teens - aka any motocross or off road bike under 100cc

but not to get p&r or anything, but do we want people dictating our usage for things just to make a few old guys like me and you happy?

the 21 plus suggestion as well as the 12mph head trip is ridiculous. We can all pedal faster than that on our department store BMX bikes when we were kids

They are just bicycles by the way.

And I’m talking about bicycles not the little quasi-dirt bikes that don’t even have crank sets or pedals. No those don’t really belong on public streets
g”
Old 09-08-22, 01:09 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by DMC707
limiting a bike to 12 mph unless you are over 21 is an unenforceable premise though

just like Honda or Yamaha putting a fictional “16 and up” suggestion on motorcycles clearly designed for pre teens - aka any motocross or off road bike under 100cc

but not to get p&r or anything, but do we want people dictating our usage for things just to make a few old guys like me and you happy?

the 21 plus suggestion as well as the 12mph head trip is ridiculous. We can all pedal faster than that on our department store BMX bikes when we were kids

They are just bicycles by the way.

And I’m talking about bicycles not the little quasi-dirt bikes that don’t even have crank sets or pedals. No those don’t really belong on public streets
g”
I'm referring to the ebikes, but I see & understand your viewpoint.
Old 09-08-22, 02:02 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

John
Unless the states is vastly different than Europe the vast majority of e-bikes are pedalecs that need pedaled.
Old 09-08-22, 04:01 AM
Troul 

The issue I find with ebikes that 'require" pedaling is that it can often be defeated using aftermarket parts or a hack mod that makes it into more of an automatic engagement rather than assisted.
it sucks to write off all DOT & non DOT motorized equipment to be prohibited on the MUP & roadways, but it is a regulation that actually serves a purpose.
​​​
Golf cart users are not throwing up there arms calling it discrimination or anything of foul, matter in fact, when those who try riding on the roadway & MUP with a GC, often get a prompt visit by the law.
Old 09-08-22, 04:03 AM
Troul 

Additionally, runners & cyclists don't use a golf course, why can't the motorized equipment respect the MUP just the same?
Old 09-08-22, 07:42 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts

John
Might be different depending on where you live. All the ones I see in my area are (so far) the pedal assist class 1.
Old 09-08-22, 07:46 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
Am I missing something here?
There are not supposed to be motorized vehicles on a bike trail. The whole point of a bike trail is its for bikes
It varies by state, city and county. The paved trail I'm referring to when I started this discussion allows e-assist bikes with the disclaimer that "any e-bike capable of more than 30 miles per hour is, under state law, a motorcycle and not a bicycle, and may not be ridden on any portion of the trail"
Old 09-08-22, 08:07 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
My riding buddy is 79 with a pacemaker and on oxygen 24/7. He would not be able to ride without his ebike. Just incidentally, he logged tens of thousands of miles on a pedal bike - transcontinental, across Alaska, etc. - before COPD and a heart condition took him down. Most of the ebike use I see in our community is older people with smiles on their faces. They are riding responsibility. On only one occasion did a fat tire ebike blow by me on the right without warning. I share others concerns about people riding beyond their skill level. But ebikes are here to stay and we need to accept that.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 09-08-22, 08:13 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco
When I get older, I’ll buy an e-recumbent and will get the same amount of exercise as those on e-bikes.

That thing really needs a cup holder.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-08-22, 09:30 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Might be different depending on where you live. All the ones I see in my area are (so far) the pedal assist class 1.
I don’t own one, but it seems that tons of kids in my area ride a smaller wheel electric bike. Most of the time I don’t see a whole lot of pedaling.

Some are the cheap Costco type, but a lot look more substantial frame fat tire ebikes.

John
Old 09-08-22, 12:52 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,778 Posts
The new hazard around here (Silicon Valley) is the e-scooter. They are limited to 15 mph, but many have been hacked to go much faster.

The riders are mostly young men, sailing through intersections and riding the wrong direction.

I recently pulled out from a red light next to scooter guy. I was up to 22 mph in about 100 feet (slight downhill). He was gone off the front, doing 30+ while turning down a side street.

Old 09-08-22, 01:03 PM
DMC707

The issue I find with ebikes that 'require" pedaling is that it can often be defeated using aftermarket parts or a hack mod that makes it into more of an automatic engagement rather than assisted.
w.

I gotta admit, my only experience with e-bike users is mountain bikers on actual trails. Locally in the central Oklahoma area, the most prominent e-bikers here are in their 70's , but Bentonville AR is not far away, and the place has wonderful downhill trails - but precious few shuttles and no lifts.

In either of those scenarios , --- sure, some backyard mechanic may be able to tune his E-MTB to run a theoretical 40mph, but they will soon find themselves bouncing off trees as tthe trails can only support speeds of 9 or 10 mph for mere mortals and perhaps 12-13 for legitimate racer types

I actually love it that the 70 ish y/o guy (and his wife) whom i know to both have matching turbo Levo MTB's - are putting in average laps to rival mine on Strava
Likes For DMC707:
Old 09-08-22, 01:50 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
it sucks to write off all DOT & non DOT motorized equipment to be prohibited on the MUP & roadways, but it is a regulation that actually serves a purpose.
You've been able to aftermarket mod bikes since forever. See "Whizzer"
Old 09-08-22, 01:52 PM
DMC707

Originally Posted by terrymorse
The new hazard around here (Silicon Valley) is the e-scooter. They are limited to 15 mph, but many have been hacked to go much faster.

The riders are mostly young men, sailing through intersections and riding the wrong direction.

I recently pulled out from a red light next to scooter guy. I was up to 22 mph in about 100 feet (slight downhill). He was gone off the front, doing 30+ while turning down a side street.

I have expressed opinions on being pro e-bike for the most part , but i admitted in a post above that my exposure is mostly limited to mountain bikers using them for what they're designed for ---- which is riding on real trails and making it easier to get to the top in a downhill area without having to shuttle --- or sweat an hour just for a 10 minute downhill rip

If i was exposed to shenanigans like your scooter example, my opinion would likely be more negative.

I'm hauling my overgrown 29'er BMX bike to a downtown pump track later today though -- i dont often do any urban riding, so i will keep my eye out and see whats going on out there
Old 09-08-22, 03:21 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
Unless the states is vastly different than Europe the vast majority of e-bikes are pedalecs that need pedaled.
Ummmmm .... wow ..... yeah the United States are Vastly different than Germany.

Come on over ..... you won't want to visit twice.
Likes For Maelochs:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.