Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rack Recommendation

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Rack Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 07:37 AM
aguerra.1993

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rack Recommendation

Hello everyone, I am not sure if I am just not good at searching but I cannot find that much information on racks out there. I want to set up my Raleigh Stuntman with a rack so I can throw on panniers and tour gravel roads with it. The only one that I have seen mentioned a few times is the Tubus Vega rack. I want a strong but lightweight one because I don't plan to stuff it with much. I'd be using small panniers like the Revelate Nano or the Arkel Dry-lite. Any recommendations would be very appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-09-18, 11:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Now That Bruce Gordon Has Retired, Tubus is among the best. I have the Tubus Ergo Logo pair.

Vega is the Logo minus the lower and rear shifted bag mounting rails. it should be adequate...

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-09-18 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-09-18, 12:48 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by aguerra.1993
Hello everyone, I am not sure if I am just not good at searching but I cannot find that much information on racks out there. I want to set up my Raleigh Stuntman with a rack so I can throw on panniers and tour gravel roads with it. The only one that I have seen mentioned a few times is the Tubus Vega rack. I want a strong but lightweight one because I don't plan to stuff it with much. I'd be using small panniers like the Revelate Nano or the Arkel Dry-lite. Any recommendations would be very appreciated. Thanks!
Tubus Vega is adequate for lighter loads. Cargo, Tubus' long-time best-selling rear carrier is far more robust, as it's design adds bracing to better handle lateral loading - the swaying, side-to-side movement which kills lesser racks (especially AL ones) from fatigue failure. Cargo claims 60% more load capacity than Vega (40 vs 25kg) for only 83 additional grams of weight (681 vs 598g). Cargo is available in Classic and Evo versions from Euro bike shops, but mostly found as the newer EVO in the USA. You'll definitely need the taller 700c Cargo, not the shorter 26" version, to clear 700x50 tires of the Stuntman.

https://www.tubus.com/index.php

To better search BikeForums, google with keywords and url specification, i.e. "tubus cargo site:bikeforums.net"
Old 02-09-18, 12:59 PM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Tubus racks are great- I own a front and rear but they are expensive. Less expensive but very adequate are blackburn, axiom, jannd to name a few.
Old 02-09-18, 01:43 PM
aguerra.1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am willing to pay more for a better product but I obviously don't want to overspend. Realistically I doubt I'd ever put the 15 kg limit of the Vega on that rack, I have very light camping gear as I am primarily a backpacker and am just now dabbling into the bikepacking world. Would that extra weight be worth it to go for the Cargo Evo over the Vega? Are there any other racks in specific you'd recommend from the brands that have been mentioned?
Old 02-09-18, 01:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

the width of the top of the cargo is wider than the top of the Vega-Logo..

there are some quite cheap solid aluminum rod old 70's Blackburn copies that may prove adequate, if low cost is your main focus.

Tubus you only buy once.

recently Bike Packing bags are eliminating panniers to not have anything hanging up on the brush, along the narrow trail.

big bag behind the saddle another bag across/between the handlebars , and maybe a 3rd in the main triangle..

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-09-18 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 04:33 PM
aguerra.1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
the width of the top of the cargo is wider than the top of the Vega-Logo..

there are some quite cheap solid aluminum rod old 70's Blackburn copies that may prove adequate, if low cost is your main focus.

Tubus you only buy once.

recently Bike Packing bags are eliminating panniers to not have anything hanging up on the brush, along the narrow trail.

big bag behind the saddle another bag across/between the handlebars , and maybe a 3rd in the main triangle..

Im kind of combining the two styles to suit different needs actually. I want to get a frame pack and a "gas tank" pack but instead of a seat bag I think I'd prefer the pannier setup as I probably won't be going on really narrow trails and they double for use around town as my bike is my only form of transportation. And if Tunis is worth their cost then I'd definitely go with them. I was also thinking that since they use steel it is easier to repair were I to bust the rack somewhere more remote.
Old 02-09-18, 05:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

NB; to keep the weight low it is a fairly thin wall tubing used.., then powder-coated..
Old 02-10-18, 06:10 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I am willing to pay more for a better product but I obviously don't want to overspend. Realistically I doubt I'd ever put the 15 kg limit of the Vega on that rack, I have very light camping gear as I am primarily a backpacker and am just now dabbling into the bikepacking world. Would that extra weight be worth it to go for the Cargo Evo over the Vega? Are there any other racks in specific you'd recommend from the brands that have been mentioned?
I would recommend that you go to websites for these various brands of racks and read about the specific rack and see what meets your needs. I don't think you need to be overly concerned about a good quality rack failing, especially if you carry a light load.
Old 02-10-18, 12:14 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
...I was also thinking that since they use steel it is easier to repair were I to bust the rack somewhere more remote.
Why bother with repair? Tubus will ship a replacement of a failed rack worldwide for the first three years of ownership, according to their warranty.
Old 02-11-18, 02:46 PM
aguerra.1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
Why bother with repair? Tubus will ship a replacement of a failed rack worldwide for the first three years of ownership, according to their warranty.
THats just in case I find myself somewhere random with no internet. I travel quite a bit and can see myself touring Colombia or other parts of South and Central America.
Old 02-11-18, 03:52 PM
Bug Shield

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
For what it's worth, my Surly ECR is a bikepacking rig on the weekends and (partially offroad) commuter on weekdays. I have both Logo and Vega racks for it, sometimes misusing the Vega up front while running the Logo in the rear. I can't imagine EVER removing my super-useful frame bag but rarely run a front rack and sometimes remove the rear for longer bikepacking trips.

I sometimes bikepack with Ortlieb Front Roller Plus panniers when carrying gear for my wife and there are a few down sides to that:

1. The bottom clip of my Ortliebs sometimes slips past the rack. I had the idea to add a second clip like Ortlieb's new offroad panniers have, but haven't gotten around to it.

2. When the hike-a-bike starts, rear panniers get in the way.. to the extent that while running both racks, I have moved my panniers to the font until the HAB was over.

3. The rack and pannier system is quite a bit heavier than the seat bag and handlebar bag system but also handier for errands/commuting and has better capacity.

One thing I didn't appreciate when buying the racks is how often I would want to strap something to the top of a rack and be somewhat hindered by the small platform. I don't really much care for a seat bag, handlebar bag, or backpack so I've often experimented with carrying sleeping bags or other items lashed to the top of the racks. If I had it to do again, I think I'd look long and hard at Old Man Mountain racks even though I dislike them aesthetically. Another option would be something more like the Tubus Cargo.
Old 02-12-18, 02:12 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I like my non-adjustable Axiom Journeys. About $35 each, as light as I can care about going on a bike that is getting a rack, and so far haven't had an issue with them.
Old 02-16-18, 11:11 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
We use Tailfin racks. Very very light, very strong, highly durable plus it comes on and off a bike quickly. We also use this for day riding since it's so light and panniers are light, durable and waterproof.

https://www.tailfin.cc

J.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 02-18-18 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-16-18, 09:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
If weight is a concern Tubus Airy is a stupid light choice but still quite strong holding 30kg and weighing a little over 280g. However I will put in another vote for the Cargo. Both it and my Duo front racks weigh less then my old Surly nice rear rack so it was a weight loss for sure. However it holds everything quite well and gets the job done and I don't worry about it ever for any reason.

There are plenty of other rack makers that make fine racks but Tubus is the one I really trust for quality lightweight racks that will hold up to touring and abuse. I like using steel because I know if the doo-doo hits the spinning blades I might have a chance of repairing it somewhere whereas with aluminum I might not and other materials probably less so.

Last edited by veganbikes; 02-16-18 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-18-18, 02:11 AM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Tubus is the best imho. We've never had either our CrMo steel cargo rack we use on the tandem for touring or the Airy titanium rack that my wife uses everyday commuting to work, have any problems.
I have had and have seen many other aluminium racks break. A world wide warranty doesn't do anything to help when the rack breaks out in the middle of nowhere.
I would have loved to buy a Bruce Gordon rack that was mentioned by Fietsbob. They were such a simple elegant design.
Does anyone know who would make a copy of Bruce Gordon's rear rack in titanium?
Old 02-18-18, 10:38 AM
Alxbr

Bikes: Fuji Jari 1.3

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THats just in case I find myself somewhere random with no internet. I travel quite a bit and can see myself touring Colombia or other parts of South and Central America.
Anywhere you go in Colombia you are going to find free wifi or mobile coverage. Maybe in Bolivia you are going to be without coverage between the towns, but they are close from each other anyway.

I am 100% sure that you are going to find first a place with internet than a place that can weld you rack...
Old 02-20-18, 07:37 PM
GAJett

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Competition, 2010 Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, 2010's Bike Friday Pocket Companion

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ISO for rear racks also. My 40-odd year old Blackburn is giving up, needing a weld at the back. I'm considering;
Velo-Orange Campeur Rear Rack ($165 list);
Tubus Logo Evo ($150 list);
Tubus Cosmo Stainless Steel ($210 list);
Nitto Big Back Rack ($218 list, I'm about 15 min from Riv World Headquarters).
All these have "dropped" side rails, in addition to the main "platform".
Any other similar you might recommend? Especially less expensive but similarly robust?

Proposed use:
Going on my Hilson.
Commuting with low set panniers, and possible touring (once I retire).

And, YES, the Blackburn will be repaired (it's the original model with no adjustments possible, All simply rigid welds). It will go back on my '73(-sh) Raleigh Comp.
Cheers!
Old 02-20-18, 11:44 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
i like my non-adjustable axiom journeys. About $35 each, as light as i can care about going on a bike that is getting a rack, and so far haven't had an issue with them.
+1
Old 02-25-18, 07:31 PM
aguerra.1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you know if one of this Axiom racks would fit my bike? I have 50x700c wheels on my bike. My bike also has disc brakes but the rack wouldn't be crossing over it. The brakes are mounted within the triangle part of the frame.

Last edited by aguerra.1993; 02-25-18 at 08:48 PM.