Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

"All cyclists will need to fit detection beacons, says cycle industry boss"

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

"All cyclists will need to fit detection beacons, says cycle industry boss"

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-18, 01:24 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
You found an study that misuses statistics in their conclusion. touche!

What they should have said was, relatively more injuries are suffered by intoxicated riders without involvement of motor vehicles. It doesn't mean they have less "risk" from collisions.

Unfortunately a lot of studies are published these days with this kind of error, or other serious errors. I will still say that it's misusing science and mathematics, and not a problem with the science itself.
Which highlight just one reason why you should never take them at face value. Statistics are just numbers. Our job is to interpret them, and determine if they prove what they are intended to prove.

For example, Florida has the highest number of cyclist fatalities. That's a statistical fact. However, does that automatically mean that Florida is the most dangerous state in the U.S. for cycling? A journalist might make that his headline, but surely more investigation into the cause(s) is necessary before a rational individual would come to that conclusion.
Old 04-22-18, 02:25 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Which highlight just one reason why you should never take them at face value. Statistics are just numbers. Our job is to interpret them, and determine if they prove what they are intended to prove.

For example, Florida has the highest number of cyclist fatalities. That's a statistical fact. However, does that automatically mean that Florida is the most dangerous state in the U.S. for cycling? A journalist might make that his headline, but surely more investigation into the cause(s) is necessary before a rational individual would come to that conclusion.
And, pedestrian fatalities as well...

This year, it looked at 104 cities, and eight of top ten most dangerous metros are in the Sunshine State. The national average is 52.5; the top metro, Cape Coral-Fort Myers, clocked in at 283.1.
https://www.citylab.com/transportati...-roads/512954/
Old 04-22-18, 02:32 PM
McBTC

This was an interesting myth-debunking in an article why FL leads the nation in cyclist fatalities...

Another misconception is that the majority of bicycle crashes involve senior snow-birds that flood the roadways during the winter months, the same time that there are also more cyclists on the road, out to enjoy the great weather. In fact, automobile drivers age 20 to 24 account for the highest percentage of bicycle crashes. The next highest percentage belongs to the age group between 45 and 49. This percentage drops significantly for drivers over 55, who hold the lowest percentage range of any other age group.
https://www.dolmanlaw.com/florida-bicycle-deaths/
Old 04-22-18, 02:36 PM
McBTC

Alcohol...again

35 percent of the crashes, either the driver or the bicyclist had blood alcohol concentrations of 0.08% or higher.
(Ibid.)
Old 04-22-18, 11:06 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm not sure if this is bantering or a serious objection, but kids are arrested now and again for throwing things into traffic. Off of overpasses is what I've seen mostly. But it's pretty rare, so I doubt that having a transponder to throw would make it much worse.
Much easier to toss a small transponder into the lane anonymously, with no need to find an overpass. Also, no need to drag around cinderblocks or large chunks of concrete.

In any event, I'm looking at the warning that you're approaching a pedestrian or cyclist. At the side of the road, or in the lane, up ahead so that you don't run over them. If a kid is standing on the shoulder and throws it into traffic, it's already done its job and warned drivers that he's standing there. It doesn't mean that cars are going to slam on the brakes and swerve into other lanes ... that's one of the reasons I opined that it will always be an additional safety measure and never the sole reliance.
Collision avoidance is path useless if it can't do something about a pedestrian/cyclist/whatever entering the car's path late enough that human reaction time makes the human's reaction ineffective.
Old 04-23-18, 03:58 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7651 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Collision avoidance is path useless if it can't do something about a pedestrian/cyclist/whatever entering the car's path late enough that human reaction time makes the human's reaction ineffective.
No system will ever be perfect. Human stupidity can outwit the smartest system.

To be effective, an AI control system will need to be able to avoid a lot more of the incidents which now plague human drivers---and frankly, that shouldn't be hard. Not paying attention, driving distracted, driving with a mind distorted by emotion, and just plain being stupid humans, are all things which can be programmed out of an AI system.

Will stupid humans be able to cause accidents anyway? Of course.

Is that a valid reason no t to drastically eliminate the enormous number of accidents cause by driver stupidity each ear?

I don't think so, but opinions will vary.
Old 04-23-18, 08:45 PM
McBTC

Much easier to toss a small transponder into the lane anonymously, with no need to find an overpass. Also, no need to drag around cinderblocks or large chunks of concrete....

Maybe it will be possible to go Judge Dredd on the malefactors by incorporating Predator 2 technology so that you could trace the arc of the thrown transponder and neutralize the source with an Energy Flechette or a Plasmacaster.
Old 04-28-18, 08:24 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Much easier to toss a small transponder into the lane anonymously, with no need to find an overpass. Also, no need to drag around cinderblocks or large chunks of concrete.

Useless if it doesn't solve a particular, low priority problem, that makes no sense to me. I think that cyclists who frequently ride on the road would be thrilled if a device in a driver's car were to warn the driver well in advance that he is approaching a cyclist. For the same reasons that people advise hi-viz clothing and taillights. One of the reasons people ride away from the curb. I'd voluntarily buy a transponder in a heartbeat, provided the receivers were utilized in enough of the vehicles. It doesn't matter what it doesn't do.

I can think of several ways to avoid calamity, or any incident, from someone throwing it in traffic. All the kid will accomplish is losing his possibly expensive transponder and get arrested if a cop spots him, while having no actual impact on traffic.
Old 04-28-18, 01:37 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Again I ask, Give me a TRANSPONDER, not a Beacon, I want to know when the next Car is coming.
Old 04-28-18, 04:08 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

And I say, give me a Disintegrator, not a transponder, so I can dissolve cars that interfere with me.
Old 04-29-18, 07:57 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Useless if it doesn't solve a particular, low priority problem,
Cyclists being hit by cars is a low priority problem? And just what other purpose would a detection beacon serve if not to trigger collision avoidance systems?
Old 04-29-18, 08:31 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Cyclists being hit by cars is a low priority problem? And just what other purpose would a detection beacon serve if not to trigger collision avoidance systems?
Abnormally appearing in front of a car too quickly for the driver to react (toss a small transponder into the lane anonymously) is a low priority problem.

I think that you're imagining an automatic slam the brakes, swerve, in response to seeing a beacon in the road. No, of course not. Even if you insisted on enforcing that, it wouldn't be that hard for the technology to know that it is anomalous.

The purpose in my mind, which I outlined in my first remarks, is to alert the driver that a bike is ahead in the lane, or in a bike lane beside the lane, or approaching on a side street even. Exactly like you want him alerted by your tail light, your hi-viz jersey, your lane position, except probably from a little further off and even when the bike isn't actually visible. Even a very discreet alert at his console would probably be effective.

It's not that hard technologically to use motion to detect whether a sensor is on a bike, a pedestrian or walking. Or thrown, or laying in the street. It's more of a program architecture detail than a real challenge, or show-stopper.
Old 04-29-18, 02:57 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
There is no reason to believe lawmakers will ever permit these vehicles to be on the road when they cannot handle every situation an alert human driver can handle.
There is one lady in Arizona who won't be objecting the this mis-statement.
Old 04-29-18, 03:47 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by InOmaha
I'm not adding any of that crap to my existing bikes; or my existing cars either. It's not my problem if their automated cars can't figure out how to drive.

Correct; it's not your problem. When you're hit and killed by one, it will be your estate's problem.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-29-18, 05:30 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I don't object as much to this so long as it's limited to freeways only. Having a bunch of automated driving machines going through surface streets full of pedestrians, dogs, and bicycles is a nightmare proposition that I hope winds up being banned.
Old 04-29-18, 06:51 PM
Jeff82

Bikes: Giant Roam 2 Disc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I still want another 1972 Plymouth Duster, no matter how bad the Slant Six sucks gas vs. a Prius.
That was my high school car. But mine had a 318 c.i. V-8 in it.
Old 05-01-18, 10:25 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Maybe like back in the very early nineteen hundreds it was suggested that a car should have a person run ahead of them waving a flag or a light. Maybe bikes should have that now!!!!! B'crats never cease to amaze me with the weird ideas they can come up with.
Old 05-01-18, 10:28 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by rydabent
Maybe like back in the very early nineteen hundreds it was suggested that a car should have a person run ahead of them waving a flag or a light. Maybe bikes should have that now!!!!! B'crats never cease to amaze me with the weird ideas they can come up with.
Except ... this isn't an idea any bureaucrat devised ... the whole thread is based on a fake--news post attributed to some bicycle-industry dude who actually never made the statement.
Old 05-01-18, 01:59 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Except ... this isn't an idea any bureaucrat devised ... the whole thread is based on a fake--news post attributed to some bicycle-industry dude who actually never made the statement.
Wasn't that the same bureaucrat who was suggesting it be made illegal for anyone under than 4' to jaywalk on Halloween if not wearing a helmet?
Old 05-01-18, 02:04 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
Wasn't that the same bureaucrat who was suggesting it be made illegal for anyone under than 4' to jaywalk on Halloween if not wearing a helmet?
It is someone from the same gaggle of imaginary boogymen-bureaucrats our aged colleague is always electronically tar and feathering with blather on BF.
Old 05-01-18, 02:41 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
I'm all for a little gizmo inside the frame of most bikes that vastly increase the ability of these radar-detecting vehicles to sense something's there. As the rise of more-automated vehicles continues, it's only going to get more important to "be seen" by such vehicles. Seems to me a gizmo or two inside of a frame could do wonders for that.

But, as for being "chipped" in some way ... nah.

Either way, I can't see there being a shift in the actual burden for responsible co-use of the roadway. Folks will still be responsible for their participation in damage creation on the roadways, paths, etc.
Old 05-01-18, 02:52 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,512 Times in 2,855 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Maybe like back in the very early nineteen hundreds it was suggested that a car should have a person run ahead of them waving a flag or a light.
When I started driving in IN, that law was still on the books there.
It was a few years later that the state legislature finally got rid of it, (along with a bunch of other nonsensical laws).
Old 05-07-18, 12:36 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Do you think A Clockwork Orange isn't far behind this?
Skynet

Since I jumped ahead, has anyone covered the thought of individualizing the signal, and how that might affect bike recovery?
Old 05-12-18, 04:39 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
My reaction can be summarized as "B.S."

Long version, including the reactions of many others -- this is just another variation of the invented "jaywalking" laws that shifted the burden from driver responsibility and liability to regarding pedestrians and cyclists as disposable, expendable and collateral damage in the greater interest of ensuring motorists and motor vehicles aren't inconvenienced.
I agree w/ you 100%!!!!!
Old 05-12-18, 04:43 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
But bike thieves suck and bank thieves are cool
It's the masks and ball caps or cowboy hats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.