Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

"All cyclists will need to fit detection beacons, says cycle industry boss"

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

"All cyclists will need to fit detection beacons, says cycle industry boss"

Old 05-24-18, 05:35 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
Not advocating, not commenting, but I got this e-mail from Thomas Net - Looks like it's coming :

https://news.thomasnet.com/featured/...inid=221591629
Old 05-30-18, 07:40 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Abnormally appearing in front of a car too quickly for the driver to react (toss a small transponder into the lane anonymously) is a low priority problem.

I think that you're imagining an automatic slam the brakes, swerve, in response to seeing a beacon in the road. No, of course not. Even if you insisted on enforcing that, it wouldn't be that hard for the technology to know that it is anomalous.

The purpose in my mind, which I outlined in my first remarks, is to alert the driver that a bike is ahead in the lane, or in a bike lane beside the lane, or approaching on a side street even. Exactly like you want him alerted by your tail light, your hi-viz jersey, your lane position, except probably from a little further off and even when the bike isn't actually visible. Even a very discreet alert at his console would probably be effective.

It's not that hard technologically to use motion to detect whether a sensor is on a bike, a pedestrian or walking. Or thrown, or laying in the street. It's more of a program architecture detail than a real challenge, or show-stopper.
I'm glad you pointed out that lateral awareness of peds and pedalcyclists and forward awareness are both critical. Cars can be deadly to vulnerable road users ahead and to the side. Simplifying the problem only to forward object detection is inadequate. I see alerting the driver as the minimum countermeasure, but only one step of collision prevention, and one that could be counterproductive if traffic is very complex (a "target-rich environment").

The question in the technology and what can actually be done, is time. There aren't a lot of seconds available to prevent a collision. Time for the car to compute that there is a transponder or beacon in the path, time to confirm whether the signal correlates to an object or not, time to determine if the best safety measure is to brake or to steer, time to prepare the vehicle for heavy braking or steering, and time for the brakes to scrub off speed or for the steering to deflect the car. Might want to add in time to assess road traction to adjust the estimated time when braking must begin. In case of a warning intended to motivate the driver to prevent a collision,

These timing requirements are usually long enough that the car's safety system effectiveness has to be limited in speed. The timing requirements translates to a distance requirement based at least on road speed, and there is an upper limit for each type of sensor. 5 GHz V2V transponders have pretty significant ranges, sometimes more than the 150 to 200 m of a 77 GHz radar. So the car company might have to state in the owner's manual that the car safety system cannot be effective above some speed. For peds and pedalcyclists that's probably ok in cities, but for suburban to rural areas with 50+ mph 2 lane roads (with expected additional speeding), the crazy pickup could probably still git us.

This is all set against processing speed, data bus throughput, and sensor update timing. With the coming of monstrously powerful multi-processors from the likes of Nvidia, the computing aspect might be nailed, or we can see that it will be. If it takes 10 samplings of a sensor hit on a pedestrian, the time for the sensor (a little intelligent system all by itself) to generate each new sampling certainly figures in here as well. This is where a beacon (or a transponder that also acts like a beacon) could help a lot. It should be able to determine its own position rather reliably (GPS and differential GPS) and simplify the task left to the in-car system.

Somehow cybersecurity must also be considered, at least man-in-the-middle attacks. If it is a braking or steering system, functional safety must also be followed to manage the potential for induced steering or braking errors.

So what's the point? WPHamilton mentioned "program architecture" in a previous post. I want to show some of the system architecture issues gleaned from my current experience in the collision mitigation/avoidance field and some more general topics in safety of electronic systems. I think the auto companies are coming around to understanding what this really takes, and that not to engineer the systems really carefully can actually have terrible consequences. Glossing over the downsides should now be a dead issue, at least with awareness of the Uber/Tesla problems, and with Volvo's proof that a solution exists.
Old 06-02-18, 09:34 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by mixteup
Not advocating, not commenting, but I got this e-mail from Thomas Net - Looks like it's coming :

https://news.thomasnet.com/featured/...inid=221591629
If it's a little something-or-other, it ought to work similarly to donning a safety light. Suitable for pedestrians, as well.

Hopefully, this sort of device-X recognition will be in many (or most) vehicles in the future. So long as the device isn't ever tied to someone's identity (and I can't see why it would ever need to be), this sort of thing makes sense. Provide simple notifications and warnings, in the cockpit, and on "auto-driving" units provide avoidance/braking mechanisms to deal with it.

Of course, there are minor downsides with portable/wearable units like that, if/when vehicles become "automatic" ... Imagine someone lining up a dozen of these things across the roadway, as a prelude to a carjacking. Wouldn't be hard to do. Lay out a dozen of them, wait for the "automatic" car to come along, and zip zip it's done.
Old 06-03-18, 10:00 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
The automatic car should be equipped with a means to confirm if the line of beacons is a line of individuals. Of course in the design, the relative risks of error have to be evaluated.
Old 04-12-19, 07:51 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
The drawback is that RFID can only respond to a query with an announcement that it is present, (with its hardcoded ID), but cannot tell where it is. As opposed to ADS-B Out which can provide its exact GPS coordinates. Of course ADS-B would require a power source in order to constantly process its GPS location. I'm not sure telling the AV's onboard computer that "there is a cyclist somewhere" would be of any help.
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I saw a demo at a show last fall (Pack Expo in Vegas), I believe the demo was with Turck (or maybe HARTING). I need to do more digging into the the application/demo. I don't have enough time right now to go any deeper, but my recollection was that these were none powered tags, it might have been two tags on each carrier and software computed the distance info. The demo was on a belt, making it less applicable to an open road application.
Took me a minute ... but I just returned from ProMat in Chicago and now I can share details for the industrial RFID array reader. Zebra is one company in this space, this is the press release from the show:
Designed for asset tracking applications in warehouses, manufacturing plants and other large indoor facilities, the new ATR7000 RTLS reader identifies and analyzes the coordinates of all passive RFID tags in its coverage area, providing real-time visibility into the pinpoint location of all tagged assets.
Repeating myself from earlier: this product is for industrial/warehouse applications and would not be ready for deployment on vehicles as is. However, the tech is here today and should be modifiable to use a passive (no battery and cheap) RFID tag on bikes and autonomous vehicles can 'see' them.
Old 04-13-19, 09:02 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Gawd, I'd love to use a detection device on my bike, especially if it caused a motorist's vehicle to avoid a close pass or a hit from behind. Of course, my son in law hates driving my daughter's new car, with it's autocorrect steering.
Old 04-13-19, 11:03 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I t woudl be interesting to see what a car did if another car, coming head-on, crossed the center line while the first car was passing a bike on the first car's right.
Old 04-13-19, 04:44 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I see a lot of positives for this V2V technology.

Traffic lights would be aware that a cyclist is approaching so no more dealing with faulty inductive loops or poorly aligned camera detectors. In my city after this winter 90% of the intersections I approach no longer detect me as the camera is pointed in the wrong place, no detection, no green light ... ever.

To address the near universal habit of drivers blowing past the stop line at stop signs even visibility is poor, automatic braking systems could prevent you from flying over someone's hood or getting t-boned. Ditto for vehicles backing out of driveways and people opening doors into traffic.
Old 04-14-19, 11:08 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Detector beacons should be optional and free for bicycles and pedestrians but mandatory for motor vehicles.
Old 06-21-19, 12:36 PM
alvaroe16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using GPS data to talk to Google Maps

I was surprised to see so many people arguing against having a device that communicates to drivers there is a cyclist ahead. I saw some good points with regards to batteries and privacy but even then, I would personally love to have a way to let my fellow drivers that I am in the road with them. Any warning is better than nothing. This is the same reason I use a flashing light.

One idea I have been thinking for a while is using my GPS data (either Garmin or an app on my phone (Strava Beacon, etc)) to upload my location to the cloud. Currently, I use this to let my family members know where I am. I wouldn't mind if this same data is uploaded (anonymously) to a database of current cyclist on the road. It wouldn't record that Joe Doe is on the road, It would only record that a cyclist is on the road, at a certain speed.

From there, car makers can access this data and populate their maps. The reality is that there are a lot of drivers currently using Google Maps, Apple Maps, Android Car or AppleCarplay while they drive. The number of drivers and cars with this service will only increase in the future. These apps can communicate to the database and populate hazards on the road. An app called Waze (now owned by Google) uses driver source data to notify drivers that a police or hazard is X miles ahead - so the technology to update hazards on maps exist.

SUMMARY:
- Your GPS/cellphone communicates your location and speed - anonymously
- Map services/Cars access database and warn drivers know that there is a cyclist on the road: "Watch out, cyclist in the road in 1 mile"

Would you be against this kind of technology? what are your concerns?
Old 06-22-19, 06:36 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by alvaroe16
...An app called Waze (now owned by Google) uses driver source data to notify drivers that a police or hazard is X miles ahead - so the technology to update hazards on maps exist.

SUMMARY:
- Your GPS/cellphone communicates your location and speed - anonymously
- Map services/Cars access database and warn drivers know that there is a cyclist on the road: "Watch out, cyclist in the road in 1 mile"

Would you be against this kind of technology? what are your concerns?
I heard about this a while back and the first thing I thought of was that all the cars would avoid the road where the police is located. Not generally a bad thing but you know what bad drivers do in the presence of a cop, they momentarily turn into good drivers. And then all those alternate roads will become filled with bad drivers too.

So I would have preferred that the app would not only identify where the cops and the bicycles are but also randomly and falsely input many more locations where they are too. The good driver would take caution - as he should - to drive carefully everywhere but the bad driver - not trusting the app - may eventually get nabbed, as he should.

This is because drivers should drive carefully not because they don't want to get caught, but because driving carefully is the right thing to do.
Old 06-22-19, 07:16 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Another crutch. Car drivers will assume all bikes have working transponders, and won't even bother looking for us anymore... at least some of those who may have otherwise been looking.
Likes For velojym:
Old 06-24-19, 07:41 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Frankly, the beacon thing is a losing tech for collision avoidance. A better option is on the road today:

Volvo Cars’ City Safety system is a technology that can detect, warn and auto-brake to avoid collisions with cyclists. It was the industry’s first step to seriously address cyclist safety.
(All cars sold by Volvo Car with a model year of 2014 or later is equipped with City Safety Generation II)
Volvo Cars and POC to demonstrate life-saving wearable cycling tech concept at International CES 2015

Footnote: in case you didn't see the full story from the Uber autonomous vehicle fatal crash - Uber disabled emergency braking in self-driving car: U.S. agency

This post is from this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...ety-flaws.html
Old 06-24-19, 01:13 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
my reaction can be summarized as "b.s."

long version, including the reactions of many others -- this is just another variation of the invented "jaywalking" laws that shifted the burden from driver responsibility and liability to regarding pedestrians and cyclists as disposable, expendable and collateral damage in the greater interest of ensuring motorists and motor vehicles aren't inconvenienced.
ditto
Old 06-27-19, 09:13 AM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
You should not have to "hardware up" to ride a ******g bicycle on the roads! I believe wholeheartedly that if driverless cars can't be programmed to not kill walkers or cyclists, that it is legitimate self defense for those of us who walk or pedal to do whatever is necessary to disable those cars whether they belong to us or not. No difference between that and kicking the crap out of the pitbull that goes after my little beagle.
Likes For Feldman:
Old 06-27-19, 09:28 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Feldman
You should not have to "hardware up" to ride a ******g bicycle on the roads! I believe wholeheartedly that if driverless cars can't be programmed to not kill walkers or cyclists, that it is legitimate self defense for those of us who walk or pedal to do whatever is necessary to disable those cars whether they belong to us or not. No difference between that and kicking the crap out of the pitbull that goes after my little beagle.
Based on this post, should we go wreck every car on our block? These are the cars are kill 35,000 people in the US each year. It'd be kinda hard for autonomous vehicles to be worse than people driving cars.
Old 06-27-19, 09:50 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Wow, that went down with the Ty-D-Bol Man's dinghy in record time.
Old 06-27-19, 09:51 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

They are assuming that Rollfast and Shelby will rise like zombies. I'm pushing for new Colsons myself.
Old 06-27-19, 01:35 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Well, all of those human-driven cars are driven by different people. One programmer or team of programmers would be responsible for software design for all of those autonomous cars--fewer minds directing a larger number of cars. To me it's easy to make the distinction when viewed that way.

Last edited by StanSeven; 06-28-19 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Inappropriate language removed
Old 06-27-19, 11:02 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Edited after comment in question was moderated.

Last edited by Rollfast; 06-30-19 at 07:23 PM.
Likes For Rollfast:
Old 11-07-19, 07:47 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

This is just so stupid:

... the SUV didn’t start to stop until about a second before impact. One big reason: It wasn’t designed to recognize a pedestrian outside of a crosswalk, according to documents released this week by the National Transportation Safety Board after a 20-month investigation.
Herzberg would probably be alive if Uber had not blocked its car from using a built-in automatic emergency brake
Also a little victim blaming from Uber?:
Uber has made “critical program improvements” in the wake of Elaine Herzberg’s death, spokeswoman Sarah ****ud said in a statement. The company’s system is now able to handle scenarios such as jaywalking in which people or cyclists are not following road rules ....
https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...op-jaywalkers/

Additionally, this NOVA episode was great reporting on this topic: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/look-whos-driving/
After years of anticipation, autonomous vehicles are now being tested on public roads around the world. As ambitious innovators race to develop what they see as the next high-tech pot of gold, some experts warn there are still daunting challenges ahead, including how to train artificial intelligence to be better than humans at making life-and-death decisions. How do self-driving cars work? How close are we to large-scale deployment of them? And will we ever be able to trust AI with our lives?
EDIT - after posting ... BF nanny changes the spokeswoman's last name like it's a *naughty word*?!? must be naughty in another language.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 11-07-19 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-07-19, 11:08 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Until they have to microchip every fox, squirrel, Badger and deer they ain't microchipping me.
But some B'crats would love to, to keep track of you.
Old 11-07-19, 01:11 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by rydabent
But some B'crats would love to, to keep track of you.
I hope your tinfoil hat isn't getting too tight.
Old 11-08-19, 06:19 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I hope your tinfoil hat isn't getting too tight.
Personal attacks are stupid.
Old 11-08-19, 07:46 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by rydabent
Personal attacks are stupid.
My apologizes, I figured your post was satirical and I responded in kind. I didn't expect anybody was buying into conspiracy theories like government tracking programs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.