Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Handlebar bag and aerobars

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-25-21, 07:04 AM
utoner34

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

I am having little trouble fitting my handlebar bag since I started using aerobars. Currently I have Topeak Frontloader bag, and its good, however the spacing of the straps that wrap around the handlebar lies exactly where my aerobars are mounted.

Spacing between wraps center to center is about 10cm on Topeak Frontloader bag. I would like to have a bag that uses wider spacing (around 15-17cm) so I have cleaner mount to the handlebars and I dont have to stretch them around my aerobars amount like it can be seen on the picture I attached.

Can you suggest me the handlebar bag that uses wider spacing? I dont want bags with metal mounts.

Old 05-25-21, 08:06 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
My first thought would be to simply add some sort of secondary strap system to your existing bag, something proven like those voile straps (the ones that come in multiple colours)
Seems you could put them through those plastic loops seen on your bag.

Sorry, no other bag recommendations, but there must be various options, with lots of bikepacking stuff out there.
Old 05-25-21, 04:46 PM
BikeParrott

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I am using a bag from Topo Designs that I found on Amazon. It is made well and has a strap sewn on the back with loops. I just slide my bag onto the aerobars usings the loops. It hangs well and does not move around. I have not noticed it affecting the handling at all. Unfortunately I am a newbie to the site and can’t post pictures yet.
Old 05-26-21, 12:53 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Like @BikeParrott said, Topo Designs, RoadRunnerBags, Swift or any other bag that uses webbing instead of fixed points to mount a bag. Look at Bikepacking bag manufacturers, they are bound to have plenty of options large and small.

EDIT: Or how about something like the Restrap race aero bag that actually mounts to your aero bars?
Old 05-26-21, 04:37 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Why not get one of these bad boys? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/39280034...75.c101224.m-1

Old 05-29-21, 02:58 AM
utoner34

I cant and dont want to mount to aerobars because sometimes I carry up to 5kg on the front.

Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
Why not get one of these bad boys?
No, thanks, thats another thing to break, squeak or what not.

I would like to find some harness that has wider straps. Shame manufactures make this strap fixed horizontally, maybe it would be better if they had option pull the straps through 2 different positions, narrower and wider.
Old 05-29-21, 04:57 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Utoner, I'd suggest asking in the roadie section, chances may be better for folks using aerobars so may have better product suggestions.
good luck
Old 05-30-21, 03:42 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 291 Posts
Can the straps be removed and rotated 90° to then mount on the aero bars themselves?
Old 05-30-21, 05:20 PM
BikeParrott

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I don’t think Utoner wants to mount to the aerobar due to the weight. If you are asking for yourself Pratt, on my Topo Designs bag it has a very heavy strap sewn on to the bag. There are several sections where you can attach a velcro straps to to the strap sewn on the bag. I found though that I can just slide the loops on the strap sewn to the bag directly down on the aerobars. It works great and is very stable. I can carry a fair amount of stuff in it, but not 5kg.
Old 05-31-21, 05:39 AM
utoner34

Originally Posted by BikeParrott
I don’t think Utoner wants to mount to the aerobar due to the weight. If you are asking for yourself Pratt, on my Topo Designs bag it has a very heavy strap sewn on to the bag. There are several sections where you can attach a velcro straps to to the strap sewn on the bag. I found though that I can just slide the loops on the strap sewn to the bag directly down on the aerobars. It works great and is very stable. I can carry a fair amount of stuff in it, but not 5kg.
Yes, straps cant be rotated and I dont want to attach them to aerobars.

I found here nice list of some harness: https://cycletraveloverload.com/13-b...ss-and-mounts/

Maybe I decide to try something else.
Old 05-31-21, 06:14 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I use a swift paloma and aero bars raised 25 mm on my touring bike. Works great. I would never put a handlebar bag on my roadie.
Old 05-31-21, 11:04 AM
headwind15
Bikeable

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Last week I had to deal with Aero bars and mounting stuff underneath. I had a sub 2 kilo (3.4 lb) tent. A question for the O. P... Have you ridden with a heavy load on your bars? I found that pulling water bottles out of their cages while riding up hill was disturbingly dangerous, as my bike really was going all over the place. I decided to place the (heavy) tent elsewhere and put a (lighter) 1.2lb inflatable sleeping pad underneath instead. Steering issue solved/ so much nicer.
Old 06-07-21, 04:25 AM
utoner34

Originally Posted by headwind15
Last week I had to deal with Aero bars and mounting stuff underneath. I had a sub 2 kilo (3.4 lb) tent. A question for the O. P... Have you ridden with a heavy load on your bars? I found that pulling water bottles out of their cages while riding up hill was disturbingly dangerous, as my bike really was going all over the place. I decided to place the (heavy) tent elsewhere and put a (lighter) 1.2lb inflatable sleeping pad underneath instead. Steering issue solved/ so much nicer.
I never drink while I ride, but this is just a personal preference. I dont race so I dont see a reason to do that. I just stop while touring and enjoy the view while drinking water.

I dont know what is the max weight of the handlebar I ever used, but I dont have issue steering. Only while standup pedaling I dont want to rock my bike side to side too much. But its the same with using racks on your bike and appropriate luggage.