Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Old 09-29-21, 02:07 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
It's because "handlesbar" just doesn't sound right.

Right?
It does if it's a mustache.
Old 09-29-21, 02:21 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
It does if it's a mustache.
Speaking of mustaches (SOMA Mustache II, actually) - Here are some better pics of the Wheeler:

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider:
Old 10-01-21, 05:40 AM
Krov9

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts

I'm hoping these pics will invigorate this thread a bit

This is a circa 1989 Schwinn Impact that I bought last spring. I equipped it with these so called "rodeo bars" and after these pics were taken, it has also got some cheapo v-brakes with new levers and cables. Sadly, the well worn Brooks saddle was stolen one night when I had left the bike locked outside Since it had a qr clamp the thief had taken it post and all. Strangely they hadn't also stolen the brand new Brooks S17 right next to this bike.

With new cables and housing I'm quite happy with the gears, the front is friction and rear indexed. The Biopace chainrings took some getting used to with some gear combinations I almost feel like I get too much torque on loose gravel. I'm thinking of equipping the wheels with a pair of DoubleFighters or similar and looking for a hub dynamo front wheel.
Likes For Krov9:
Old 10-01-21, 07:23 AM
chevron envy

Bikes: 95 Giant ATX 760

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm loving this refresh of this thread.
Old 10-02-21, 10:58 AM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Krov9

I'm hoping these pics will invigorate this thread a bit

This is a circa 1989 Schwinn Impact that I bought last spring. I equipped it with these so called "rodeo bars" and after these pics were taken, it has also got some cheapo v-brakes with new levers and cables. Sadly, the well worn Brooks saddle was stolen one night when I had left the bike locked outside Since it had a qr clamp the thief had taken it post and all. Strangely they hadn't also stolen the brand new Brooks S17 right next to this bike.

With new cables and housing I'm quite happy with the gears, the front is friction and rear indexed. The Biopace chainrings took some getting used to with some gear combinations I almost feel like I get too much torque on loose gravel. I'm thinking of equipping the wheels with a pair of DoubleFighters or similar and looking for a hub dynamo front wheel.
Interesting to see a Schwinn land in Finland. I lived in Sweden for 5 years and saw exactly one locked up, and it may have belonged to someone I know.

Do any of the stickers on the seattube give an indication about its origins?
Old 10-02-21, 02:04 PM
Krov9

Originally Posted by DiegoFrogs
Interesting to see a Schwinn land in Finland. I lived in Sweden for 5 years and saw exactly one locked up, and it may have belonged to someone I know.

Do any of the stickers on the seattube give an indication about its origins?
I've come across a few Schwinns here every now and then, I'd say mostly from 2000 onwards. Someone has maybe imported them at some point, but in very small numbers?

The sticker on the seattube says "Helen's, Santa Monica Westwood, Area's Largest". The gentleman I bought this from told me that the person he had bought this bike from had brought it with him in his luggage on a flight from the States. Curious choice, I'd suppose there should be more "exciting" stuff to haul over the pond too This model would be a low to mid tier offering as far as I know. Surprisingly fun ride anyway, very agile and stable at the same time. I've seen pics of the same model in black chrome finish and it's gorgeous. The silver grey on this one is not too bad either, but it's got some rust here and there from the chain, clamps and cables.

The handlebar is supposedly a NOS spare for one of these they were called "rodeo bars" for whatever reason EDIT: rodeo was a Finnish name for an "ape hanger", so I don't have a clue what this should be called

Last edited by Krov9; 10-02-21 at 02:10 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-03-21, 08:13 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Here’s a nearly current photo of my RockHopper MTB. I switched to an even longer 150 mm stem that puts the grip position at about the steering axis. I also added a rear rack and trunk bag, which is very handy and also ends up substituting somewhat for a rear fender.

What’s not current is that I put a Speed King on the rear wheel. My plan is to run that until things get so muddy on the trails this winter that I need the Race King on the rear wheel too.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 10-03-21 at 08:31 AM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 10-04-21, 12:36 AM
Krov9

Man I love the graphics/color schemes on old Specialized MTBs! Very 80's - 90's postmodern
Old 10-05-21, 03:29 PM
ocsawdust

Bikes: 85 botteccia, 85 mcmahn tiatainium, 90 something trek clyde, early 70s schwinn tandem single speed, early 90s gary fisher aquila (the daily rider now!)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by djj7
After reading through this thread I have decided that Velo Orange Milan is what I want for my trek 850. But everywhere I look says they are out of stock.
Are they out of business or just hard to get?
Any good substitutes? Sunlite North Roads seem to have a bit more sweep than I want.
lots of bars out there. many different names as well for basicly the same bars. bars can be a funny thing as well, I wanted some bars but then I wanted to try some others, then others and others. I found they all have different personalities on different bikes. funny how that is. the stems also play an important role on how close the bars are to you or how far away and even height . something to consider......you swill likely need to change your cables and housing when changing the cockpit around. Leave them as long as possible for the next set of bars you may want to try 😉. ( or don't till the next ones come along and then you will. )
Old 10-05-21, 03:41 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by ocsawdust
lots of bars out there. many different names as well for basicly the same bars. bars can be a funny thing as well, I wanted some bars but then I wanted to try some others, then others and others. I found they all have different personalities on different bikes. funny how that is. the stems also play an important role on how close the bars are to you or how far away and even height . something to consider......you swill likely need to change your cables and housing when changing the cockpit around. Leave them as long as possible for the next set of bars you may want to try 😉. ( or don't till the next ones come along and then you will. )
Try Whatbars.com to compare for similar bends.

I just put Soma Dream Bars on mine and think they are very wide and classy.

I also like Guster Stasche bars. Similar bend as the Milan.
Old 10-05-21, 03:58 PM
frogger72

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Tried this on a few different rigid 90s ATB's over the years but always reverted back to < 600mm flats, just felt more fun and sketchy that way riding around the neighbourhood, sharing heavy traffic roads with cars, climbing and hopping curbs etc with the kids. Maybe I just haven't tried the right bar.
Old 10-05-21, 08:15 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by frogger72
Tried this on a few different rigid 90s ATB's over the years but always reverted back to < 600mm flats, just felt more fun and sketchy that way riding around the neighbourhood, sharing heavy traffic roads with cars, climbing and hopping curbs etc with the kids. Maybe I just haven't tried the right bar.
Or maybe you have.
Old 10-07-21, 08:17 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 408 Posts
Out on a grocery run on my Schwinn High Plains.

That's a Jones SG 2.5 Loop Aluminum handlebar. I like it.
Also Rene Herse Rat Trap Pass tires...
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 10-07-21, 06:23 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by cooperryder
Out on a grocery run on my Schwinn High Plains.
That's a Jones SG 2.5 Loop Aluminum handlebar. I like it.
Also Rene Herse Rat Trap Pass tires...
Very nice! Grocery run, you say? Where do the groceries go? No racks, no bags, must be a backpack, right? I've been struggling with the same issue on my latest build, The seatpost clamp-on rack just doesn't work with standard bungies. The load always wants to shift, and at the worst possible time. The cargo net is too fiddly. But the Diamond Back Apex doesn't have braze-ons for a rear rack. So I'm forced to resort to Engineering...

I'll figure it out. Since this will be a winter bike anyway, I'm not averse to using P-clamps. Those deserve a spot in the Bodge-It Hall of Fame right alongside duct tape, zip-ties, Super Glue, and WD-40.

Old 10-07-21, 10:18 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 408 Posts
Very nice! Grocery run, you say? Where do the groceries go? No racks, no bags, must be a backpack, right? I've been struggling with the same issue on my latest build, The seatpost clamp-on rack just doesn't work with standard bungies. The load always wants to shift, and at the worst possible time. The cargo net is too fiddly. But the Diamond Back Apex doesn't have braze-ons for a rear rack. So I'm forced to resort to Engineering...

I'll figure it out. Since this will be a winter bike anyway, I'm not averse to using P-clamps. Those deserve a spot in the Bodge-It Hall of Fame right alongside duct tape, zip-ties, Super Glue, and WD-40.
Grocery runs are usually on this bike, a Canadian made Miele with a rack and large Wald basket.

It gets the most miles because it seems I'm usually needing to carry something.

Sometimes I need to carry a smaller amount and ride a different bike but grab a couple of the heavy duty cloth reusable grocery bags with sturdy cloth handles.

I try to balance the weight between the two bags and then tie them on the bars with a regular double knot.

The cloth handle easily allows me to untie the double knot when I arrive at home.

I should have taken a snap with both bags on the handlebar.

I don't really recommend this method because an unbalanced load can cause steering issues and the sacks need to be cinched up high enough to minimize any sway and hitting the front tire.

A back pack would probably be safer or some method of quickly adding a rack, panniers or basket. Let us know if you come up with a solution.

On my first bike tour I used p clamps to secure racks and they held up fine for 2500 miles with a pretty heavy load.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 10-10-21, 03:29 PM
danders

Bikes: Fuji World, Salsa Vaya, Rockhopper 96

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Surly Open Bar

A few recent changes, Had a VO Milan but felt it was too narrow.
Microshift Advent 11-42 and original crankset 24-32-42 this is over the RD capacity, maybe 2X someday.
Sunlite rack + Wald 137
Traded the Milan for a Nitto Mustache RM016N that is going on my Fuji World.

Last edited by danders; 10-10-21 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-10-21, 07:42 PM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 43 Posts
1984 Stumpjumper Sport

This came to me pretty much stock except for the saddle. I replaced the Mountech rd after the upper pulley seized on me (I did clean it up & get it working, but figured it was a ticking time bomb). I also replaced the bullmoose handlebars with a Nitto slingshot stem & unknown 'bars. The DTHs handle single track, gravel, & pavement just fine.
It's kind of my poor man's Rivendell. It's a blast to ride!

Old 10-10-21, 10:42 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 191 Posts
Soma Dream bars are wide. Maybe too wide...

Second pic from the ride this morning.
Likes For mechanicmatt:
Old 10-11-21, 08:07 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Winter Commuter Coming Together

Earlier this season, I obtained a Diamondback Apex as part of a trade with a local flipper. The model year is hard to pin down. It has a standard 1.125" diameter threadless stem, so this places it in the late `90s - early `00s time frame. But as you will see in the photos, this bike is in very nice condition. It's almost a shame to use it on our salty winter roads, but all my other bikes are classics. This bike has the most durable paint finish on it, so it got the Frame-Saver treatment, and I will coat the outside with Boeshield T9 in-between cleanings.

The riser stem and handlebar make for a comfy - but - still sporty ride. I've got a pair of studded Schwalbe Winter Marathons ready to go on after the first snow, and Planet Bike full fenders to protect from salt-spray on the road.

The Brooks saddle will have to go, in favor of something more waterproof. I have a vast selection of takeoffs to choose from.

I'm developing a cargo-net solution for the rear rack that will support a load both above and below the rack deck, just above the rear fender. This bike should serve well on my 6-mile commute this winter. More pics once I get the studded tires and fenders installed.

Likes For DQRider:
Old 10-11-21, 08:11 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
DQ, don't you ever end up with a crummy-looking ride? Sharp-looking Apex. Love the deep blue/purple paint on the thing.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 10-11-21, 08:30 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
DQ, don't you ever end up with a crummy-looking ride? Sharp-looking Apex. Love the deep blue/purple paint on the thing.
Thanks for the compliment, Clyde1820. Since this is more of an obsession than a mere hobby, I can't imagine what I would do with a crummy-looking ride, except to make it purdy again.

Life is too short to ride crummy bikes.

However, this does limit the places I can stop for refreshment to those where I can see my bike locked-up outside. Keeps me away from dive bars, so I guess that's a Good Thing.

Last edited by DQRider; 10-11-21 at 08:35 AM.
Likes For DQRider:
Old 10-11-21, 01:50 PM
djj7

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the Ahearne+Map bars. They look good, I think that they'll work fine. Just finishing up adjusting the brakes right now. It's been raining here all day with the same forecasted for tomorrow, so I don't know when I can give them a good ride.
Old 10-11-21, 05:09 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Thanks for the compliment, Clyde1820. Since this is more of an obsession than a mere hobby, I can't imagine what I would do with a crummy-looking ride, except to make it purdy again.

Life is too short to ride crummy bikes.
Just the other day, for example, Velo-Orange just got in a couple of their Polyvalent Low-Kicker frames in the "correct" (for me) size. They were gone in a few hours. Probably a good thing. As you say, obsessed with good-lookin' stuff, it was hard to skip over that one and let it go. The trouble with me is, the size of frame and the geometry that works for me is rare. Smartest thing would be to have a custom-geometry frame build, to handle it. It'd be great-looking, but I just can't convince myself it's necessary.

Could be worse. We could be obsessed with hiking all of the "Fourteeners" in the Rocky Mountains ...

V-O Polyvalent Low-Kicker:

Rodriguez's Adventure Low-Step:
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 10-11-21, 07:03 PM
dphilips

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 18 Posts
Here's my recently rebuilt my Univega Alpina Uno. It spent a few years as a drop bar conversion but I ended up moving the wheels and drivetrain to a Handsome XOXO and the frame's been sitting unbuilt for ~6 years. Since the XOXO has speedy covered, I went to the other end of the spectrum with an upright build:

Senqi 54cm cruiser bar w/ ESI grips, Sakae SX crank with 38t ring, and 13-30t seven speed freewheel, Sunrace friction thumbie.

Shimano canti levers to Paul touring cantis. (This Alpina has brake posts with the pins reversed/outboard. The Pauls brakes solve that by not using pins.)

Tires are Schwalbe Big Apple 26x2.
Old 10-11-21, 08:28 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by dphilips
Here's my recently rebuilt my Univega Alpina Uno. It spent a few years as a drop bar conversion but I ended up moving the wheels and drivetrain to a Handsome XOXO and the frame's been sitting unbuilt for ~6 years. Since the XOXO has speedy covered, I went to the other end of the spectrum with an upright build:

Senqi 54cm cruiser bar w/ ESI grips, Sakae SX crank with 38t ring, and 13-30t seven speed freewheel, Sunrace friction thumbie.
Shimano canti levers to Paul touring cantis. (This Alpina has brake posts with the pins reversed/outboard. The Pauls brakes solve that by not using pins.)
Tires are Schwalbe Big Apple 26x2.
What a beautiful bike! If this thread were illustrated by one single image, I can't think of one better than this.

The reason I love this thread so much is because these are the bikes that fulfill the bicycle's ultimate purpose: Useful Transportation

Utility bikes are awesome, but one-dimensional. You wouldn't take one on a ride just to ride (if that makes any sense).

I don't need to inform you on the limitations of Italian/French/British racebikes.

And the "Touring" roadbikes are wonderful for the sort of slim, lightweight athletes who buy them and promptly put on hundreds of miles.

For the rest of us, the lightweight chrome-moly frames, sturdy geometry, and massive gear range of the vintage rigid MTB is the perfect recipe for a bike that could actually serve as a sole mode of transport, in the right circumstances.

Got a family? Build or buy a trailer, mount seating on it, and a roof of some sort, and you have your basic family carriage. The strongest son or daughter gets the honor of driving! How's that for self-esteem building?

I'm just woolgathering here. But if our destiny involves travelling by people-power; the vintage, rigid, ATB/MTB is a perfect platform on which to build. Lighter, stronger, and faster than the old gas-pipe classics, I believe they are the ideal transportation for a diminished fossil-fuel future. Even for old-farts like me!

Both Vintage AND Classic I am...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.