Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Atala, unknown year and model

Old 10-24-21, 07:37 AM
Krov9

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Atala, unknown year and model

Just curious if this would be one of the better Atalas or the ones Sheldon Brown recalls as "downright scary"? I looked through all the catalogues available here and none of the bikes sported this decal design, so I'm guessing either post-80s or pre-70s.

Pic from eBay sale

the only photo I could find showing similar decals - from a dead site, preserved on Pinterest
Old 10-24-21, 08:02 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 2,825 Times in 1,994 Posts
Atalas were extremely variable.
the seat stay tops and the lugs push it later 70’s to me.
Atala was strategic and often used Campagnolo ends on down spec frames.
the underside of the bottom bracket - looking for a big transverse weld line.
and seatpost diameter would help to determine.
Old 10-24-21, 08:24 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Forged drop outs, chrome fork crown, nice lubs, all suggest this is at least a very decent frame and perhaps a good one.
Old 10-24-21, 09:59 AM
Krov9

Originally Posted by repechage
Atalas were extremely variable.
the seat stay tops and the lugs push it later 70’s to me.
Atala was strategic and often used Campagnolo ends on down spec frames.
the underside of the bottom bracket - looking for a big transverse weld line.
and seatpost diameter would help to determine.

here's a closer pic of the bb - lugs look quite rough to me

Forged drop outs, chrome fork crown, nice lubs, all suggest this is at least a very decent frame and perhaps a good one.
I've contacted the seller about what I suspected to be an error in the listing, so we'll see. If the price is right, then maybe. Looking for more input, since as repechage mentioned, the name alone doesn't mean quality. Listed weigh 3.5 kg for size ~50
I'm only 5'3" so good c&v deals in my size come rare :/

Last edited by Krov9; 10-24-21 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-25-21, 06:12 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Atala was a full range manufacturer. During the early 1970s bicycle boom they were Italy's largest manufacturer. Consequently, they cover a very wide price range.

It's interesting that it has forged dropouts, top tube cable tunnels and bottle bosses yet lacks lever bosses. This combined with cables routed over the BB shell and a crown for exposed brake nuts. suggests very late 1970s to very early 1980s. It's definitely not a top model. I strongly suspect that this is an entry level model with hi-tensile steel. As previously noted, the seat post diameter is the best indicator of tubing grade.
Old 10-27-21, 03:12 AM
Krov9

I strongly suspect that this is an entry level model with hi-tensile steel
So hardly worth buying / building up I guess...
Old 10-30-21, 07:05 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 229 Posts
Personally, I see nothing wrong with that frame. No appreciable rust . just needs cleaning. Ask the seller if he will weigh it for you. If it weighs under 5 lbs , some or all of it is probably Cromo. If it weighs over 5.5 lbs. it is definitely not. Actually there is something to be said for hi ten frames. They are tough , much less likely to get dinged and dented. With aluminum rims and average equipment you can build it up to weigh around 26 -28 lbs. A lot depends on whether you have a source for cheap parts for it. Buy everything new and you will have a few hundred dollars invested which you probably won't recoup if you sell. All those bits and pieces add up pretty fast. At the Bike Exchange I do restorations on frames like this all the time. with care you can make it look like new if you want to. Here is an old Atala I did up a few years ago. Complete it weighed under 24 lb.
Old 10-30-21, 08:24 AM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
I have a mid-70s Atala with Campy drive train and seatpost but Weinmann brakes. Great daily rider!
Old 11-02-21, 08:45 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
It has the Tulio tubing decal. That was Atala's own tubing line, which I believe is straight gauge Hi-Ten. I doubt it's at all scary, and it's probably a fine rider, but if you're looking for a high-end Atala, this isn't really it.