Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do patched road tubes last?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-22, 10:02 PM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

I don't flat too often and have always had a stash of new tubes around, so when I would, I'd just put a new tube in and carry on, never giving patching a thought. Now that tubes are getting little pricier, I'm wondering if a patched tube will last, because I have several in a pile with a single small hole in each. A new tube is around $10, whereas a patch kit (like Park's) looks like it might cover 2-3 tubes for $10. But do patched tubes really last long? If they do, is there any specific kit you all would suggest for longevity?
Old 05-04-22, 10:15 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Yes, a tube properly patched with a Rema kit is as good as new, and will last until something else takes it out.
Old 05-04-22, 10:15 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Yes. I'm just using cheapo generic patches with a big jar of autoparts store vulcanizing goo, think slime brand.
Old 05-04-22, 10:24 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
A properly patched tube will serve you as reliably as a new tube would. I never throw away a tube unless it has a valve stem issue or large tear in the rubber - they get patched and put back into rotation. I typically will put in a fresh (new or previously properly patched) tube on a roadside flat repair instead of patching a tube on the side of the road, unless I have a ride with more than one puncture. I will bring the damaged tube back to the garage to assess and repair, normally waiting until I have a few tubes needing patches, and doing them all in one sitting. This gives a better chance of being able to use all of the vulcanizing fluid in the patch kit before it evaporates.
In my experience, the Park patch kits are pretty good. My preferred are the Rema Tip Top kits, but both work well. Just make sure to get a proper repair kit, and not the patches with pre-applied adhesive (like stickers). Those are no good and will fail.
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 05-05-22, 04:10 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
The key is to use a good vulcanizing fluid, which causes a chemical reaction that fuses the rubber pieces together, NOT ordinary rubber cement.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 05-05-22, 04:23 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
I’ve patched lots of tubes, and patches work perfectly well. Park patches and cement do a good job, just make sure that you prep the tube (roughen up the rubber around the puncture) with the included sandpaper or scraper, and let glue set before putting on the patch.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 05-05-22, 05:04 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
If done correctly, a long time. IME, that is true for both vulcanized and glueless patches. I have both on tubes that have lasted for a couple of years. I have one tube that has 4 patches on it.
Old 05-05-22, 06:35 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
As others have said, a patched tube-using good vulcanizing and fluid and a Rema patch will last. If it's the front tube that was patched, I'll usually move it to the rear and put a new tube in the front. That's just me though, probably not necessary. I've never had a patch go bad.

Last edited by freeranger; 05-05-22 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-05-22, 06:42 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Yes, a well patched tube will hold air just as well as a new one.

IME preparation is more important than the specific patch kit brand. You've got to get the mold release off the tube before anything will stick to it, so use your grater or sandpaper to get all the "shiny" off around the patch. I've used Rema glue in the patch, but now I'm using Slime from the auto parts store, and I haven't seen a difference. Had to ask for another box of 100 Rema patches for Christmas last year, I finally used up the first box.

Glued-on patches, I usually have something go wrong (like a blow-out, long cut, or the stem starts leaking) before I accumulate more than a dozen or so patches. That's probably over five years of service (I don't label tubes!). Glueless patches usually last me 2-3 years before they start to leak.

I usually accumulate a half dozen leaking tubes (replacing them on the road) and patch them on a rainy weekend. Sand one, put the glue on, sand the next and put the glue on that, go back and put the patch on the first, and continue. I'll do an overnight leak test the next day. Oh, one more tip: get yourself a sliver Sharpie to mark the hole, especially if it's a small leak you need to find in a sink full of water.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-05-22, 07:13 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
'Vulcanizing' patches (separate cement-and-patch patch kits), in my experience, are as good as a new tube when properly (tube scuffed, cement left to dry before applying patch) applied.

Also in my experience, 'glueless' patches are crap. They might work for a while but I wouldn't trust them for any bike I needed to be reliable. Others have had better experience with them, but I have tried multiple brands on different occasions and was never satisfied - the extra one step and ~3 minutes to apply a traditional patch is worth the effort a million times out of a million.

I also carry a known good (new or patched) tube as a spare when I ride, as well as a patch kit. While patching is an almost 100% reliable fix, it's no fun on the side of a busy highway or in the pouring rain.
Old 05-05-22, 07:18 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Yes. Good as new.

Unless they are the peel and stick “glueless” kind. Those usually don’t hold up long term in my limited experience with them.
Old 05-05-22, 07:24 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
I consider how frequent I experience getting a flat & for where/what type of riding. Justifying the cost of patching or replacing has those areas to consider for me. Keeping the damaged tubes around until I accumulate enough to open the sticky messy patching fluid can take a while, & I don't have a good spot to store them that keeps them conveniently out of the way.
Old 05-05-22, 07:30 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Dreww10
I don't flat too often and have always had a stash of new tubes around, so when I would, I'd just put a new tube in and carry on, never giving patching a thought. Now that tubes are getting little pricier, I'm wondering if a patched tube will last, because I have several in a pile with a single small hole in each. A new tube is around $10, whereas a patch kit (like Park's) looks like it might cover 2-3 tubes for $10. But do patched tubes really last long? If they do, is there any specific kit you all would suggest for longevity?
When I rode a lot and before tough light casing was common I’d replace a punctured tube with a good one then repair the tube at home. When I got to three patches on a tube I’d replace the tube which was long before the tube itself was unuseable. Patched tubes lasted as long as new tubes which was upwards of ten years or more. I’ve only used peel and stick patches a few times 20 yrs ago and the patch was iffy. Only time a glued patch didn’t work was gluing in marginal conditions on the road or very old glue. Maybe 1% of the time. Peel and stick failed about 20%.
Store old tubes in a zip lock bag. In my racing days I used to store and install tubes with talcum powder but in the last 30 yrs stopped using talc as I stopped racing, rode less and tires became more puncture resistant
Old 05-05-22, 08:07 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
A good quality patch (I prefer Rema, but there are others) properly applied can last the life of the tube. A compelling reason to replace a tube would be a blow-out too large to patch, or a leak in an unpatchable location, such as at the base of the valve stem.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-05-22, 08:23 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Yes. Good as new.

Unless they are the peel and stick “glueless” kind. Those usually don’t hold up long term in my limited experience with them.
These hold up.

https://www.parktool.com/product/super-patch-kit-gp-2

I have used them on long road rides and they work. Had an incident last year on a 100 mile ride where I got flat and put in my spare tube then 30 miles later got another flat so had to use the patch kit I carried. The patch held up fine for the rest of the ride and few rides after until I put a new one back in.

I'm the type that thinks tubes are cheap...buy most of mine from e-bay for $5-$10...So any tube that has been punctured I eventually throw it away. Eventually just going to switch my road bike to tubeless and be done with tubes just like I am on my mountain and fat bikes.
Old 05-05-22, 08:25 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I consider how frequent I experience getting a flat & for where/what type of riding. Justifying the cost of patching or replacing has those areas to consider for me. Keeping the damaged tubes around until I accumulate enough to open the sticky messy patching fluid can take a while, & I don't have a good spot to store them that keeps them conveniently out of the way.
I just roll them up and stick them in a cardboard box on the shelf until I accumulate a half-dozen or more:

Then I crack open a 3-gram tube of glue and see how many I can patch with it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-05-22, 08:46 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
The key is to use a good vulcanizing fluid, which causes a chemical reaction that fuses the rubber pieces together, NOT ordinary rubber cement.
It goes a bit further than that. Cold vulcanization is a 2 chemical process much like epoxy. The fluid has one chemical and the patch has the other. If you use vulcanizing fluid without a patch that has the matching accelerator, the vulcanizing fluid is about the same as rubber cement. Rema is the only system that I can say with certainty that uses the 2 chemical process. Most all of the others are just rubber cement.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-05-22, 09:44 AM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
The only time I have trouble with patching is when the hole is adjacent to a seam in the tube.
But otherwise (as everyone stated already) properly patched tube is completely reliable.
Old 05-05-22, 09:46 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
I also put punctured tubes in a box and patch them all at once, with a new tube of glue. I never keep opened tubes of glue, they just dry up eventually.

Additional tools:

a silver sharpie. I draw a 4 long lines pointing to the hole, so I know where it is if it's tiny. And it's easier to center the patch, too.
Real sandpaper! that tiny scrap in the patch box is annoying to use. I'll use a piece of 100 grit or 150, whatever I have. So much faster!
I use a corner of the the plastic patch box to press down the patch thoroughly. A screwdriver handle would be good, too.

(I clamp the finished patch with a woodworking spring clamp for a few hours. I don't know that it actually helps, but its easy to do.)

Test the patched tube on the wheel at home, then I treat it as if it's a new tube from then on.

Last edited by rm -rf; 05-05-22 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-05-22, 09:52 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by MudPie
The only time I have trouble with patching is when the hole is adjacent to a seam in the tube.
But otherwise (as everyone stated already) properly patched tube is completely reliable.
One trick is to fold the tube so the seam is on the edge of the fold and sand away. Faster and easier than sanding a seam in the middle of a flat section of tube.
Old 05-05-22, 12:10 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I use Rubber Cement and I have zero issues:
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 05-05-22, 12:26 PM
daniell

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by MudPie
Just sand the seam down until it is flat. Then patch over it.
Old 05-05-22, 12:30 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
I keep patching till the valves go bad.

Old 05-05-22, 12:45 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I have ridden on multipatched tubes and had no problems.
Old 05-05-22, 03:25 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
As a kid I in New Mexico I had an old Schwinn cruiser. New Mexico is infamous for “goat head” stickers or thorns, these puncture both bike tires and bare feet with ease. The tubes in my old Schwinn were covered with patches, the rear tire had 18 of them. They still held air quite well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.