Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Decals, stickers, vinyl transfers.....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-22, 06:51 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts

I’m exploring options of decals/stickers/logos for the 70s Valgan I’m repainting and rehabbing. Budget is kind of a priority, but I also want it to look decent and have at least some durability. I’ve painted the frame with Spray.bike, planning to clear-coat over the stickers/decals (testing beforehand, of course). While I’m not recreating the originals, they were a kind of metallic silver foil sticker. Anyone have experience with DIY inkjet printing on metallic foil sticker paper and clear-coating over it? I figure there’s a big risk of the ink running under the clear-coat, but maybe if misted and carefully applied that could be avoided? Also wonder if the inkjet colors would quickly fade from UV….. or maybe the clear-coat provides protection?

I see that waterslide decal paper is available for inkjet printers, so that’s another possibility… The logo idea I’m working with would ideally have a white component, which of course I couldn’t print at home. But it seems like there are some online services that might be able to make up decals that include white. I was pretty good at applying decals on models as a kid, but that was a looooooooong time ago and not sure about the fussiness of working with waterslides on a bike..

And then there are vinyl transfers…. I like the idea of those, though it seems they’re always a single color (at least with clear background versions), which kind of limits what I want to do.

Thoughts & experiences?
Old 05-26-22, 09:51 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
I've used Lettering.com. Fast, inexpensive, quality vinyl transfers. I've done them with contrasting shadow lettering (black and white). They have lots of fonts to choose from, and I believe you can also provide your own artwork.

Old 05-26-22, 10:04 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
I have had great success with Decal Knockoffs using Bumper Stickers. They really hold up well. I resize my personal image to 3" x 10" then have the sticker printed out.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...knockoffs.html

Lately I have been transferring Black Toner Ink to clear Helicopter Tape. So far they too have held up well at 5 years plus.
Old 05-26-22, 10:35 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
+1 on Lettering.com. @gugie recommended it, I tried it. I liked it. And it is fun using the design tools. It may get you into a loop where it gets difficult to decide which option(s) to go for.

And then clear coat it. I like automotive 2K clear coats. If you don't have a gun Eastwood makes a 2K clear in a can. Eastwood 2K clear in aerosol can

I have also bought painting supplies from TCP Global. They are a little more expensive. I don't know how they compare. SprayMax 2K clear

The 2K clears are tough and good looking. These aerosol cans allow you to mix the two components when you are ready to shoot. After about a day, the can cannot be used again.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 05-26-22, 10:50 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

I'll be using the spray.bike clear-coat, mainly because it's a little unclear what other clear-coats will work over the spray.bike 'paint' (it's kind of more of an aerosolized 'powder'....). Realize it's likely not going to result in a finish that is as durable as possible, but hopefully 'good enough' for what this build is. Not 100% satisfied with the spray.bike paint- the nozzle would slightly clog and 'spit' now and then, and the overall surface finish is a little bit rough here and there- more so than just a 'matte' finish. But again, 'good enough' and worth trying out.
Old 05-26-22, 03:21 PM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
+1 on Lettering.com. @gugie recommended it, I tried it. I liked it. And it is fun using the design tools. It may get you into a loop where it gets difficult to decide which option(s) to go for.
I didn't like the limited selection of fonts at lettering.com when I checked it out a while back, but decided to take another look.... and discovered that the option was set to 'popular' and I wasn't seeing everything. Turns out the do have the font I want to use. Took a while to figure out how to 'squash' the font the way I want, but got that to work, too! Now to figure out what to do for the seat-tube 'wrap' and the head-tube logo....

Old 06-09-22, 12:26 PM
ehcoplex 

Got the DT logo from lettering.com, the ST & HT from stickylife.com. Could've gone a bit larger with the DT I guess, but they look decent enough. Anyone have exp/issues with spraying clear-coat over this stuff?

Likes For ehcoplex: