Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Carnage

Old 03-14-21, 08:08 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Carnage

Ugh. According to my app doing 31+ on a flat after a hill, max effort. Lost the chain. Surprised I didn't wipe out. Frightening. I'm pretty diligent about my chains. This one wasn't stretched or overly old. Keep the rubber side down y'all!

Two broken spokes, some bent spokes, but I am in tact. Chain is toast. Looks like an excuse for a new wheelset?

Old 03-14-21, 08:31 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Ugh, that sucks - glad you didn't get yourself hurt!
Old 03-14-21, 08:58 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
That looks like a fix gear, a nice quiet running 3/32" chain with nice rounded pins and a cog with some good shaping. A quiet, smooth running setup.

I've been riding fix gears 45 years and a whole bunch of miles, all on the road and I've done many hills, some quite real. I've thrown a few chains, wrecked a few spokes, a hub or two, damaged a few frames and killed a few tires. Done a few heart stoppers. One thing I've learned - smooth running fix gear systems and reliable systems that do not throw the chain are different animals. I go out of my way to run stiff, clunky 1/8" chains and noisy square cut 1/8" cogs. I run Eurasian cogs and Izumi Eco chains exclusively just to avoid what you saw. I like the Sugino 75 cranksets and track quality 1/8" chainrings but only one of my three fix gears have that. One is a 110 BCD much cheaper Sugino with 1/8" Mojo rings and the third is a comparable 110 BCD with an 1/8" 44 tooth something.

I run that gear and ride in confidence with enough chain slack to never go tight and kill my bearings.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney: