Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

A cyclist passed me while I was turning L at intersection.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

A cyclist passed me while I was turning L at intersection.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-21, 07:42 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
Originally Posted by Kat12
Only slightly related, but what do you all do for signaling when stopped at an intersection where you will be turning? Do you stand there with your arm out as you wait for the light to change, or only signal when it turns green and you're about to go, or...? (Luckily, it is something I've very rarely come across, and usually when it has it's obvious I'm in a left-turn lane so my intention is pretty clear, but I feel sort of silly hanging out there with my arm out...)
I signal right before the light changes green.
Likes For work4bike:
Old 04-28-21, 12:07 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
If you are in a Left turn lane, then the cyclist should not have passed you on your left, He wouldn't not have done that if he was driving a car would he? Then he shouldn't have done that on his bike either. I noted you were not making any hand signals showing your intentions, while you should have been doing that, the other rider AGAIN should not have passed you as he did. He was an idiot, thankfully you saw the situation happening before you made your turn and the other rider causing an accident.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 04-28-21, 02:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Only slightly related, but what do you all do for signaling when stopped at an intersection where you will be turning? Do you stand there with your arm out as you wait for the light to change, or only signal when it turns green and you're about to go, or...? (Luckily, it is something I've very rarely come across, and usually when it has it's obvious I'm in a left-turn lane so my intention is pretty clear, but I feel sort of silly hanging out there with my arm out...)

It's only going to be seen by the cars directly behind and in front of me, so if it's at a light, I hold the arm out, keep it there for a few seconds, then resume to the handlebars to perform the turn when the light changes. If it's a long light, I might repeat the gesture a couple times in case someone else came up to the intersection. I don't bother signaling a right turn from the right lane at all unless there's something unusual about the intersection.
Old 04-28-21, 02:12 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I don't hold my arm out but I will put it out for a bit. I also look around at all the surrounding stopped cars - if a new car pulls up I will signal again.

But I try to avoid those kinds of intersections whenever possible.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 04-28-21, 02:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
If you are in a Left turn lane, then the cyclist should not have passed you on your left, He wouldn't not have done that if he was driving a car would he? Then he shouldn't have done that on his bike either. I noted you were not making any hand signals showing your intentions, while you should have been doing that, the other rider AGAIN should not have passed you as he did. He was an idiot, thankfully you saw the situation happening before you made your turn and the other rider causing an accident.

You would be right if it was a left turn lane, but it wasn't a left turn lane, it was a go straight OR turn left lane. There was a left turn lane to the left of it and a right turn lane to the right of it. If you're in the center lane and don't signal, I wouldn't have guessed you intended to turn left and two bikes in a traffic lane is perfectly acceptable. I don't see how anyone was an idiot in the situation as described.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-28-21, 04:13 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You would be right if it was a left turn lane, but it wasn't a left turn lane, it was a go straight OR turn left lane. There was a left turn lane to the left of it and a right turn lane to the right of it. If you're in the center lane and don't signal, I wouldn't have guessed you intended to turn left and two bikes in a traffic lane is perfectly acceptable. I don't see how anyone was an idiot in the situation as described.
I'll add that passing on the left was the correct thing to do in this situation. If you expected the cyclist ahead of you to go straight you probably also expect them to veer to the right as they cleared the RH turn lane to be as far right as possible exiting the intersection, so passing on the right would be improper in this case. I think the second cyclist should have rang his bell or announced he was passing but I don't think he was an idiot. OP also wasn't an idiot either, but in retrospect maybe could to something different next time indicating his turn.
Old 04-28-21, 04:25 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Sorry but I see an idiot. Even if the lane was a dual purpose lane, either turn left from it or go straight ahead, the other cyclists should have treated it like he was in a car, would he had passed a car setting there? NO, nor should he had passed a cyclist. It's just basic rules of the road that apply to motorists the same way it applies to cyclists using the road.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 04-28-21, 04:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Sorry but I see an idiot. Even if the lane was a dual purpose lane, either turn left from it or go straight ahead, the other cyclists should have treated it like he was in a car, would he had passed a car setting there? NO, nor should he had passed a cyclist. It's just basic rules of the road that apply to motorists the same way it applies to cyclists using the road.
Nonsense. It's far more normal for a bike to pass another bike to the left in the same lane. Actually,, if I was sitting in the same part of the lane that OP was, I'd say there's a pretty good probability that a car going straight would pass me if I didn't signal the turn.

I don't buy the notion that we have to pretend we're riding underpowered cars and I never will. We're going to get passed in lanes, if you can't handle that, don't take the lane. I'd need to actually see the intersection before I could be sure whether or not I would've passed, I'm certainly not calling someone an idiot for doing so.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-28-21, 05:05 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
^ This.

Patience is a virtue. There's good reason for that saying existing.

Being "non-virtuous" in a vehicle situation on public roads can be a deadly thing.

Far safer, more transparent (in intentions) and reasonable to simply be patient and await the clearing of the queue ahead. Particularly important in a mixed-direction type lane as described in the scenario. Passing rapidly and unexpectedly simply creates great potential for a crash that needn't exist.

Occupying a mixed-mode mixed-speed public street really isn't all that difficult. But it can get particularly difficult when people "push" like that.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 04-29-21, 04:37 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
I don't know of any states that imbue cyclists with "rights." The question is does your state law allow that kind of pass? Have you mentioned what state you are in and have you read your cycling laws? I have a hunch it is not permissible under the law. I certainly wouldn't pass a cyclist on the left under similar circumstances. I won't sit at a light with my arm extended either. I'll signal just before or as I start moving.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 04-29-21, 08:45 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I don't know of any states that imbue cyclists with "rights." The question is does your state law allow that kind of pass? Have you mentioned what state you are in and have you read your cycling laws? I have a hunch it is not permissible under the law. I certainly wouldn't pass a cyclist on the left under similar circumstances. I won't sit at a light with my arm extended either. I'll signal just before or as I start moving.

Though, inherently, I do believe every U.S. state has (like the "basic speed law" requiring driving no faster than conditions warrant) traffic law that essentially acknowledges the basic right of way / right to exist in the lane for slower-moving vehicles. IOW, just due to impatience or lateness a person can't simply disregard the risk inflicted upon others with a rushed pass, with aggressive tailgating/threats, with not making room for someone already there in the lane. (Beyond any outright statutes existing, say, barring pedestrian or slow-movers from highways, etc.)
Old 04-29-21, 01:43 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It's permissible under NH law: ".A person propelling a bicycle may pass a slower-moving vehicle in the same lane provided such movement can be made with reasonable safety. A person propelling a bicycle may pass a stationary or stopped motor vehicle on the right." I don't believe there's any per se rule defining a pass in the intersection as not being "reasonably safe". And yes, NH defines "vehicle" as including bicycles.
Old 04-29-21, 02:24 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
I've read my bike laws a lot, but not since this thread was opened. I'm not sure, but my state law probably says something similar to the above^.

However, laws don't address every possible situation. They probably never considered a cyclist passing another in an intersection where the lane is designated as both a straightway and left turning lane. Like I said above, I would not have passed if I were the guy in the rear, until after we made it thru the intersection, not so much because it was an intersection, but because I would have anticipated the cyclist turning, because most cyclists don't signal and many cars don't also. That's why when I'm approaching a car and they're going slow enough to turn, I just take the lane behind them....basically the same thing.
Old 04-29-21, 05:43 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
It's permissible under NH law: ".A person propelling a bicycle may pass a slower-moving vehicle in the same lane provided such movement can be made with reasonable safety. A person propelling a bicycle may pass a stationary or stopped motor vehicle on the right." I don't believe there's any per se rule defining a pass in the intersection as not being "reasonably safe". And yes, NH defines "vehicle" as including bicycles.
Thanks for the info. I am the dog expert here, not the same turning lane passing law expert!
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 04-29-21, 09:46 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4255 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 940 Posts
I don't know of any states that imbue cyclists with "rights."
The "fundamental" law for bicycling in Louisiana:
​​​​​
https://law.justia.com/codes/louisia...tle32/rs32-194

§194. Traffic laws apply to persons riding bicycles

Every person riding a bicycle upon a highway of this state shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this Chapter, except as to special regulations in this Part, including special regulations applying to peace officers utilizing bicycles in furtherance of their official duties, and except as to those provisions of this Chapter which by their very nature can have no application.
And every state has, as far as I have seen, the same law.

Thanks for the info.
He's misleading you.

Think what you'd do if you were driving.

If you are a careful driver, you wouldn't choose to pass in this situation. The "rights and duties" law says you should do the same thing when on a bicycle.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-29-21 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-29-21, 09:52 PM
njkayaker

It's permissible under NH law: ".A person propelling a bicycle may pass a slower-moving vehicle in the same lane provided such movement can be made with reasonable safety. A person propelling a bicycle may pass a stationary or stopped motor vehicle on the right." I don't believe there's any per se rule defining a pass in the intersection as not being "reasonably safe".
No. It's only permissible only if it can be done "with reasonable safety". It's not clearly reasonable to pass at an intersection.

No careful, reasonable driver would do such a thing. No careful, reasonable driver needs an explicit law telling them it's not safe.

And yes, NH defines "vehicle" as including bicycles.
It doesn't matter at all whether bicycles are vehicles.

Every state (as far as I know) has the "fundamental" bicycle law.

Including NH.

https://www.fosters.com/news/2019070...-use-full-lane
Per New Hampshire law (RSA 265:143): “Bicyclists have the same rights and duties as drivers of motor vehicles.”
Note that this law talks about bicyclists (not bicycles, whether or not the state happens to legally define them as vehicles, which doesn't matter anyway).

​​​​

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-29-21 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-29-21, 09:58 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Nyah
Did the other guy have the right to pass me on my left in this situation?
It's the wrong question.

Whether or not they had the right, they did it anyway.

You need to take more control of the situation. Don't expect or rely on the other person to do the proper thing.
  • Use better lane positioning. If you are in a left/straight lane, you should be on the left(ish) side of it.
​​​
  • Before you move left, look to see if it's clear.

​​​​

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-29-21 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-29-21, 10:08 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Am I the only one here wondering why the OP was just standing at an intersection on his bike waiting for a car to show up so he could continue his journey?

Stop first. Wait. Proceed after the light proved it didn't detect, then...Go, man. Go!

(Look at your own states laws, of course.)
Old 04-30-21, 06:54 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Sorry but I see an idiot.
So do I, but the one I see wasn’t in the turn lane that day.
Old 04-30-21, 07:04 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
You'll never be disappointed in life if you assume everyone is an idiot and act accordingly. People who turn without signaling are idiots; people who pass them on the left in left turn lanes are idiots. There's no shortage of idiots in life, so act accordingly. It's just common sense, really.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 04-30-21, 08:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by njkayaker
No. It's only permissible only if it can be done "with reasonable safety". It's not clearly reasonable to pass at an intersection.

No careful, reasonable driver would do such a thing. No careful, reasonable driver needs an explicit law telling them it's not safe.

It doesn't matter at all whether bicycles are vehicles.

Every state (as far as I know) has the "fundamental" bicycle law.

Including NH.

https://www.fosters.com/news/2019070...-use-full-lane

Note that this law talks about bicyclists (not bicycles, whether or not the state happens to legally define them as vehicles, which doesn't matter anyway).

​​​​
You're on my ignore list, but I couldn't help but peek because I knew you'd claim that I was wrong. Actually you are quite wrong. I am only going to respond once because the reason you're on my ignore list is because you'll simply repost your incorrect assertions again and again in response and life is too short to get caught in one of your endless loops.

The passing in the same lane law I quoted specifically applied only to bicyclists ."A person propelling a bicycle may pass a slower-moving vehicle in the same lane provided such movement can be made with reasonable safety." Who in their right mind would read a statute that explicitly only applies to cyclists to mean that the considerations in that safety calculation are exactly those of a driver of a motor vehicle?

I said very carefully that there was no per se rule forbidding the passing of another cyclist in an intersection and I'd have to see the intersection before I'd make a judgment whether a pass in that particular intersection could be made with reasonable safety. Your assertions to the contrary, I don't think it's an unusual practice. Maybe it is in NJ. I don't ride there.

My mention that a bicycle is a vehicle was to make clear that "slower-moving vehicle" included bicycles. So yes, it does matter in this instance in the interpretation of what you as a cyclist can and can't do in regards to other cyclists, unless you're taking the absurd position that it's legal to pass the bicycle but not the bicyclist on the bicycle.

By the way, I ride in NH, you don't. I can tell you it's quite normal for a car to pass me in an intersection when I'm on my bike, so I really have no idea why you think anything you've said makes sense. You put into bold an absurd statement. If I'm going straight in a FRAP position (as required by NH law), there is no inherent reason why a car three feet or more to my left can't or won't pass me in the intersection. It's why I move to the center of the left-most lane and signal my turn when I'm going left--I'd be an idiot to ignore the rather obvious likelihood that a driver behind me is going to assume otherwise that I'm going straight..
Old 04-30-21, 08:40 AM
njkayaker

You're on my ignore list, but I couldn't help but peek because I knew you'd claim that I was wrong.

The passing in the same lane law I quoted specifically applied only to bicyclists ."A person propelling a bicycle may pass a slower-moving vehicle in the same lane provided such movement can be made with reasonable safety." Who in their right mind would read a statute that explicitly only applies to cyclists to mean that the considerations in that safety calculation are exactly those of a driver of a motor vehicle?
You don't seem to realize that drivers are allowed to pass other vehicles too.

The driver laws also apply to cyclists in NH.

I said very carefully that there was no per se rule forbidding the passing of another cyclist in an intersection and I'd have to see the intersection before I'd make a judgment whether a pass in that particular intersection could be made with reasonable safety. Your assertions to the contrary, I don't think it's an unusual practice. Maybe it is in NJ. I don't ride there.
There are lots of things that are not per se in the law that you can still get a ticket for.

In this case, the rider left-passed another vehicle waiting to make a left turn. Is that legal in NH?

My mention that a bicycle is a vehicle was to make clear that "slower-moving vehicle" included bicycles. So yes, it does matter in this instance in the interpretation of what you as a cyclist can and can't do in regards to other cyclists, unless you're taking the absurd position that it's legal to pass the bicycle but not the bicyclist on the bicycle.
The "fundamental" law says that "bicyclists" (people in the act of riding a bicycle) is legally equivalent to a "driver of a vehicle".

The understanding of "slower moving vehicle" doesn't have anything to do with bicycles being vehicles or not.

It would be absurd if a bicyclist was allowed to pass a car but not a bicycle (based on the definition of "vehicle").

By the way, I ride in NH, you don't. I can tell you it's quite normal for a car to pass me in an intersection when I'm on my bike, so I really have no idea why you think anything you've said makes sense. You put into bold an absurd statement. If I'm going straight in a FRAP position (as required by NH law)...
The bold statement was talking about drivers (that word is in the text!) If you drive like this, please stop.

The OP wasn't talking about riding FRAP.

Pay attention.

Last edited by njkayaker; 04-30-21 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-30-21, 09:51 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Nyah
Did the other guy have the right to pass me on my left in this situation?
No.

He was left-passing a vehicle that was making a left turn.

Even if it wasn't clear you were making a left turn, the other rider should have assumed that you might.
Old 05-01-21, 01:25 AM
Medium Size Dog

Bikes: 98 Trek 6000 MTB, 70's mutant St. Etienne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 32 Posts
IMO. Left turn, right turn, straight, signaled, didn't signal? So what? If an intersection is busy enough to have 3 lanes going in one direction and likely 3 lanes going the opposite direction and probably multiple lanes on the cross street, that's a lot of places for the car driven by a distracted, speeding, whatever driver to come from that could easily crunch a cyclist who is unwisely blowing through an intersection no matter what color the lights are.
Likes For Medium Size Dog:
Old 05-01-21, 05:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Medium Size Dog
IMO. Left turn, right turn, straight, signaled, didn't signal? So what? If an intersection is busy enough to have 3 lanes going in one direction and likely 3 lanes going the opposite direction and probably multiple lanes on the cross street, that's a lot of places for the car driven by a distracted, speeding, whatever driver to come from that could easily crunch a cyclist who is unwisely blowing through an intersection no matter what color the lights are.

Wait, what?! Are you saying you need to stop or crawl through such an intersection even if you have the green light? You're going to need to define "plow" because I don't think there's anything inappropriate about maintaining your speed as long as you're doing the normal cross street scan as you get there. The number of lanes has nothing to do with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.