Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Different Size Tyres

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Different Size Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-22, 02:46 AM
Rob123

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Giant, and many in bits

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Different Size Tyres

I just bought a bike and the tyres are a little worn and have decided to change them.

When I looked at the size the front is 700x23 and the rear is 700x25.

Is this a bad thing, should the tyres always be the same size. What is the recommended set up?

It is a Boardman E4P road bike.
Old 03-23-22, 06:16 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob123
Is this a bad thing, should the tyres always be the same size. What is the recommended set up?
No, as long as the tire is not too oversized for the rim width.

Rear tires take more wear than the front, and many folks often put a slightly wider tire.

It doesn't even have to be the same brand.

It just have to be a good tire you like.
Old 03-23-22, 08:30 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
It's unlikely you are going to put too wide a tire on that rim without first maxing out the size tire that will fit in the bike frame without rubbing the seat tube, or other parts of the frame.

23 to 25 mm isn't even enough difference to sneeze at. While many want their tires to be the same size, same brand and same model of tires, there is no issue doing your own thing if it pleases you.

You aren't planning to ride down hills at 60+ mph (≈ 96 kph) are you? If not, you'll be safe enough.
Old 03-23-22, 08:53 AM
Rob123

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Giant, and many in bits

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guessed it wasn't much of an issue. I just wondered why they would do this more than anything. I the was some kind of perceived benefit. I had intended to just change the tyres and have the same size, never thought about it until I realised they were actually different sizes.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 03-23-22, 09:03 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I don't think rider speed has much to do with whether the rear tire being about 8% wider than the front and rider safety. Just look at motorcycles, they often run wider rear tires and go a lot faster than 60mph.The vast part of safety in real life riding is controlled by the rider's decisions and skills and not their equipment.

I've run about a 3 or 4mm tire width difference on many of my bikes over the years (25/28 and 28/32) and only appreciated the slightly greater comfort and traction the wider rear tire offered.

Of course this flies in the face of what BMX racers did for decades (and still might...) with running the skinnier tire on the rear. Their thinking had been (again might still be) that the skinnier tire is faster to spin up to speed on and if they were to loose traction with one tire it is "better" for the rear to slide. Andy
Old 03-23-22, 09:25 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
I guessed it wasn't much of an issue. I just wondered why they would do this more than anything. I the was some kind of perceived benefit. I had intended to just change the tyres and have the same size, never thought about it until I realised they were actually different sizes.

Thanks for your replies.
Orthodoxy says to: "Put your best foot forward." It says this so that the rear is always the oldest most worn/fatigued/riskiest tire.

Other people who simply have switched tires frequently enough to have any perceptible wear sometimes put the more worn tire on the front to equalize wear on the set. Same as is done on cars. The reasons could include cosmetic (tan/black sidewall, or tread pattern, for example), availability of an exact match, a desire to have a summer/winter set, a desire not to brand switch one wheel at a time, etc...

This is a contentious topic here on BF. Most people in Camp 1 will spout Orthodoxy & ignore that nobody in Camp 2 is suggesting to put a worn-out tire on the front, (because that would be actual dangerous; Camp 2's position is only the "more worn of the two, as condition allows.") Camp 2 will try & lose to Camp 1 as they write 40 posts trying to articulate a deference to the individuals ability to think, to rationalize, & reach an appropriate conclusion based on the available evidence.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 03-23-22, 09:47 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
Rear tires take more wear than the front, and many folks often put a slightly wider tire.
Actually, rear tires are pretty much the only tire that wears, assuming that by "wear" you mean loss of rubber from the tread. Tire wear is caused by the scrubbing action of power being transferred from the tire to the road. Only when braking does this happen on the front tire. I once left a front tire on for over 6,000 miles and it had lost only a gram or two of weight. Two rear tires were worn down to the casing in that same number of miles and each had lost nearly 15% of their weight in tread wear (around 30 grams from each tire).
Old 03-23-22, 10:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts

Thanks for your replies.
When I went from 23mm tires to 25mm tires, I didn't replace them both at the same time. I replaced the one that needed replacing. Back tires wear more than the front by quite a bit. While it is proper to put the best and newest tire on the front, I don't really ever worry about it unless there is some other pending reason for me to dismount the front tire.
Old 03-23-22, 10:41 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
You’ll never know why unless you ask the person who installed the tires.

”Theoretically” a narrower tire steers easier, although I have my doubts about a 23 vs 25.

A SWAG, as already stated, is that the rear wore out and the former owner decided to use a 25.

The ironic part of this is 23mm and 25mm tires are not the same size from mfg to mfg. you might even find the 23 is wider than the 25.

Many, if not most, people opt for the widest tire that will fit (within reason of how the bike is used), so going to 25’s front and back is fine. There will be those who say 28’s if they fit. I imagine few will recommend 23’s these days.

John
Old 03-23-22, 10:47 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
My "grocery getter" has a 26x1.25" front and a 26x1.6" on the rear by choice.
I'll put up to six 12 packs of soda pop on the rear rack/baskets to go with my 200+ lbs.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 03-23-22, 11:04 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
One of my bikes has 406-32 front and 559-40 rear tires. I’m ok with different sizes on a bike - all the bikes I ride have 20” front and 26” rear wheels. Keep in mind there may be a touch of what seems like OCD playing into matching tires or having QR levers on the same side, etc.
Old 03-23-22, 05:19 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
I guessed it wasn't much of an issue. I just wondered why they would do this more than anything.
Maybe the bike belonged to a Fremont Tesla worker.

Tesla Is Dangerously Messing Up With Tire Assembly - autoevolution
Old 03-23-22, 05:21 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
One of my bikes has 406-32 front and 559-40 rear tires. I’m ok with different sizes on a bike - all the bikes I ride have 20” front and 26” rear wheels. Keep in mind there may be a touch of what seems like OCD playing into matching tires or having QR levers on the same side, etc.
I am intrigued. Is this a chopper? Photo?
Old 03-23-22, 05:55 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
I just wondered why they would do this more than anything.
My dad ran 25 in the rear and 23 in the front way back in the day. He had heard that it was a good idea since the rear tire took more of the weight, and he pointed out that the 25 deflected less for the same air pressure than the 23. I didn't see why that was so important, but it's obviously one reason people did it.
Old 03-23-22, 07:05 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I am intrigued. Is this a chopper? Photo?
No....not a chopper. I ride two different short wheelbase recumbents and also a recumbent tandem.
Old 03-24-22, 06:19 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I just bought a bike and the tyres are a little worn and have decided to change them.

When I looked at the size the front is 700x23 and the rear is 700x25.

It is a Boardman E4P road bike.
Recommended set up is what works for your weight and riding conditions. As mentioned there’s enough size variation between manufacturers for the same printed size on the tire so as to be meaningless. I’d be more inclined to pick a light sticky supple tire on the front and heavier more durable tire on the rear. Rear flats are more common and recovering from a rear wheel slide is easier than a front wheel slide.