Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My Longest Ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My Longest Ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-22, 10:48 AM
Ttom

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
My Longest Ride

My longest rides to date were no drop club rides on Sunday afternoons of 32 miles.
Now that I have retired and have more time I want to explore my limits and get ready for some road touring.
Yesterday I did a solo rails to trails ride of 50 miles, had to dodge a drunk staggering so badly I did not know if I was going to have to say on your left, or on your right, it was 10:41 in the morning. On the ride back I encountered an intersection where an older teen who was riding a 4 wheeler on the trail (signs everywhere "No Motorized Vehicles Allowed") did not stop for the stop sign and was hit by a car. I did not see any real damage to the 4 wheeler but he did have a hurt leg, the car sustained grill damage. Also on the ride back in the same area where I encountered the drunk at 10:41 in the morning there was a man sprawled out half way on the trail and half way off, passed out or so it seemed. I am wondering to myself is this where the derelicts hang out around here but as I get close to him I ran over a big dry leaf and it made a kind of popping sound his eyes opened his head popped up and he was looking around to see who was coming, the guy looked very alert, not like he just woke up from a stupor. Damn is this guy looking to mug somebody and steal a bike? I did not stop to find out. The ride took 7 hours, I had a Mexican feast at the half way point, in the afternoon when my shoulders neck and arms were complaining I found a bench and laid down flat for about 20 minutes, my shoulders neck and arms were happy again. All in all a good ride, I felt pretty good when it was over, could have gone further but I did what I came to do, set a new all time best for distance.
Old 04-24-22, 11:40 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Good deal. I find a lot of enjoyment exploring new areas on a bike. Week long tours are the best.
Old 04-24-22, 02:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Wow, of all the odd things I've seen while cycling, I think you win!

Which rails to trails if you don't mind saying? I've done the Longleaf trace several times. It was pretty deserted both times. Haven't done the Tanglefoot Trail in the northern part of the state yet, though I've been wanting to for a couple years.

Welcome to BF!
Old 04-24-22, 02:43 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,052 Times in 1,074 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttom
My longest rides to date were no drop club rides on Sunday afternoons of 32 miles.
Now that I have retired and have more time I want to explore my limits and get ready for some road touring.
Yesterday I did a solo rails to trails ride of 50 miles, had to dodge a drunk staggering so badly I did not know if I was going to have to say on your left, or on your right, it was 10:41 in the morning. On the ride back I encountered an intersection where an older teen who was riding a 4 wheeler on the trail (signs everywhere "No Motorized Vehicles Allowed") did not stop for the stop sign and was hit by a car. I did not see any real damage to the 4 wheeler but he did have a hurt leg, the car sustained grill damage. Also on the ride back in the same area where I encountered the drunk at 10:41 in the morning there was a man sprawled out half way on the trail and half way off, passed out or so it seemed. I am wondering to myself is this where the derelicts hang out around here but as I get close to him I ran over a big dry leaf and it made a kind of popping sound his eyes opened his head popped up and he was looking around to see who was coming, the guy looked very alert, not like he just woke up from a stupor. Damn is this guy looking to mug somebody and steal a bike? I did not stop to find out. The ride took 7 hours, I had a Mexican feast at the half way point, in the afternoon when my shoulders neck and arms were complaining I found a bench and laid down flat for about 20 minutes, my shoulders neck and arms were happy again. All in all a good ride, I felt pretty good when it was over, could have gone further but I did what I came to do, set a new all time best for distance.
A good bike ride comes with a bit of adventure, to me. What's life if you don't see some things?
Old 04-24-22, 06:04 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
And we escape from the dangerous roads to the trails where it's safer but not sure about the trail you were on!
Old 04-24-22, 08:40 PM
Ttom

It was the Longleaf Trace, I started at Prentiss because that is closer to me and rode to Sumrall, Bassfield is where I encountered the drunk and other guy. And yes on a Saturday there was almost no one but me I saw maybe 4 other bikes one golf cart full of kids 3 four wheelers one involved in a wreck. Maybe you just need to pass thru Bassfield quickly. : ( I met some nice folks in Sumrall, and they told me the Hattiesburg end was very busy in the morning as I would expect but it is disappointing that more people are not taking advantage of the rest of the trail.
If you decide to ride that trail some day again give me a shout and maybe we can hook up for a ride.
Likes For Ttom:
Old 04-25-22, 10:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I usually start the Longleaf Trace from Prentiss too. I get my wife to drop me and my Son there when she's on her way to visit her Dad in Hattiesburg. Then I just meet her at her Dad's house.

In a few sections midway, the pavement was in some disrepair and there were a few sections with some serious erosion of the embankment the last time I rode it. Did they get that fixed?

I'll try to remember to PM you when I plan to do it next. But those things tend to be short notice for me. And it's not likely until late May or July.
Old 04-25-22, 12:33 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,270 Times in 1,272 Posts
I have had similar experiences on some of the multi use paths around here, although not all in one ride! It is amusing since the influx of homeless in our area. It seems the bike path is a perfect place to have group meetings so I have taken to bike lanes on the side of the roads. I know it is dangerous but I don't need the drama. I have still seen some interesting things even on the side of the road. Congratulations on your longest ride.
Old 04-27-22, 03:35 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Sounds like you had a fun day for sure!. Enjoy your retirement and stay safe.
Old 04-27-22, 04:23 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
I've rode the Osage Prairie Trail R2T near me a few times. While I've not seen drunks, I have encountered meth-heads each time. And I was not on it when it happened, but there was a shooting a while back involving people on four wheelers. It's kind of too bad because it is a nice paved trail, but the sketchy areas make me want to avoid it.

Old 05-04-22, 07:36 PM
Ttom

I rode 64 miles today on the same trail, another first for me. Nothing crazy except for the teenager driving his car on the trail! He was not driving to fast and he gave me plenty of room as we passed so well it is what it is. I can say that this ride was my limit, the last 10 miles my legs were in a rebellious state but I made it and it was not terrible, but it was tough.
Old 05-04-22, 08:51 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttom
I rode 64 miles today on the same trail, another first for me. Nothing crazy except for the teenager driving his car on the trail! He was not driving to fast and he gave me plenty of room as we passed so well it is what it is. I can say that this ride was my limit, the last 10 miles my legs were in a rebellious state but I made it and it was not terrible, but it was tough.
Maybe do a few more 50s and you'll be ready for the 64!
Old 05-04-22, 10:42 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
This is the reason that I ride mostly roads and stay away from trails - roads are safer. Cars have rules, MUPs have none or none that everyone will obey. You never know when a runner with earbuds will do a u-turn in front of you. Where we live there are hills, so we ride up in the hills mostly. I try to design routes with about 50' per mile of climbing, so 60 miles would have about 3000' of climbing. I seldom do more than 60 except for event rides. Climbing makes us strong. When I first started riding again as an adult, it took me all summer to be able to ride up the 500' and 10 miles to our local shopping mall. Not that I shopped, just a turn around point. But once I could do that, I realized that I could go anywhere I wanted if I kept gradually increasing the distance. Freedom's great, just like being a kid again.
Old 05-05-22, 11:11 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Good job! Now the next step is to start going for best time.

"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
Old 05-05-22, 03:46 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Congrats on the miles but moreso on such a “sporty” course.