Old 04-11-10, 10:18 AM
TheoDavies

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UK to Italy

Hello,
I'm planning to cycle to Italy from Calais in July. Currently looking up routes and I've decided that I want to go through the Swiss alps. Looked at some routes through/over, but really want to keep to lanes and other Non-major roads - or to at least avoid as much traffic as possible and get spectacular views. Any Ideas here?

Also, any thoughts on specific places to visit on that general route line? Any must see's?

Cheers,
Theo
Old 04-12-10, 12:13 PM
cw0110

Bikes: Road Bikes:Biria,Quantec,Specialized,RIH-Track,Fort-Cross;MTB:Univega Fully,Chaka DJ,Chaka DH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a list of web-sites, that may be of some help.
https://www.gps-tour.info/de/index.html
https://www.gpsies.com/home.do#10_48....2_16.3727778_p
https://www.bikemap.net/
The above are collections of routes submitted by users.
https://www.quaeldich.de/
The best site if it comes to climbing mountains with your bike.

have a nice trip
Christian
Old 04-26-10, 01:07 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
For Switzerland, check out the National Cycle Routes, that website has links to an interactive map where you can view them. Those routes don't take the shortest or easiest option of road, but always take the quietest. Some short sections may be unpaved.

As for the main passes over the Alps that you have to choose from: The Gd St Bernard tends to have pretty heavy traffic, is not the prettiest, and I would not recommend it. The Simplon I haven't yet cycled (I plan to do so very soon), but it would appear to be better traffic-wise than the Gd St Bernard. The Nufenen Pass has very little traffic, but is by far the steepest/toughest climb, and requires you ride up the whole of canton Valais or over the Grimsel Pass to get there. For some sections on the approach road to the Gotthard (before Andermatt), you have to go on the main road, which is very busy, but in many sections there are multiple roads and you can take the quietest option by following the National Cycle Path signs. Over the top, the very old road is still cobbled and is a historic and a memorable ride, but be prepared for it to be very bumpy, the newer road is nicer because of its smoothness and is not too busy because there is also a long tunnel that most of the vehicles use. Starting from Calais, I doubt you'll be interested in any pass farther east than the Gotthard.

Last edited by Chris_W; 05-07-10 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-30-10, 06:45 AM
duathlon.guru

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's quite an exciting undertaking! You're going to see some spectacular things. Have fun!
Old 05-11-10, 12:57 PM
rolls

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheoDavies
Hello,
I'm planning to cycle to Italy from Calais in July. Currently looking up routes and I've decided that I want to go through the Swiss alps. Looked at some routes through/over, but really want to keep to lanes and other Non-major roads - or to at least avoid as much traffic as possible and get spectacular views. Any Ideas here?

Also, any thoughts on specific places to visit on that general route line? Any must see's?

Cheers,
Theo
hi after the good idea (the map linked).....the italy is so long,where you want to go....you intend to go to the north only? go to center? (tuscany etc etc) or south? there's a lot of thing to see.i know well my country because every year travel with motorbike....if you let us know exactly i will give you a help
Old 05-26-10, 09:19 AM
flavio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I am planning almost exactly the opposite way: Italy to North Sea, through Swiss Alps.
So I think you could find useful infos in my project, because I prefer no-traffic way too, so I choose cycle paths only; believe me - it seems possible to cycle with almost no car all along the way. My tour is shown here:

Italy to North Sea by bicycle