Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bikes on Trains

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-10, 02:28 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Bikes on Trains

Not too long ago, I purchased a bike in NYC, and transported it as baggage on the train back to Baltimore, MD. It was fairly easy to do, and didn't cost much. All I had to do was to take off the pedals, turn the handbars sideways, and put it in box. The baggage section at the train station sold bicycle boxes for $15. To carry the bike as baggage cost me another $5.

That was with Amtrak. Reading their bicycle polices on their website, I found they have trains with bicycle racks, whereas, you can roll your bike right on and put it on a rack. However, they only have limted spots, and they must be reserved. However, none of those trains are in the Maryland/DC/VA area. Looking deeper into Amtrak's bicycle policies, I found a little clause that should allow me to put my bike on a train from Baltimore to DC without putting it in a box. However, when I call about it, every at the station acts like I am talking a different language.

The clause states, that if the train has a baggage car, and the baggage car has tie downs, you CAN transport your bike without a bike just tieing your bike down. They have a daily train (#67) that leaves at 6:10 am daily, it has a baggage car. All I want to find out is, does it have tie downs, if so, does it have space..But, the people think I am talking Greek!! WT@!!

Here is the link and the clause..:

The link:
https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten.../1237405732517

The clause:

Bikes as Checked Baggage on Trains with Tie-Down Equipment
Some trains have tie-down equipment in the baggage car or other areas designated for checked baggage. Where such equipment is available, you can check your bike without a box or other container.

This space is limited, and you must reserve it. Typically, there is a reservation charge.

You must accompany your unboxed bike on its journey on the same train. We will not accept unaccompanied bikes.

Bicycles not in containers are more likely to be damaged in transit. Accordingly, we disclaim liability for bikes shipped unboxed.

For assistance, call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

I plan on going to the station in person, taking a print out of the clause and talk to a customer service agent. If this service is available, I want to use it. I use to go over to Georgetown in DC almost every weekend. The place is beautiful, and flat.. I would love to put my bike on the train for the ride to and from DC..

comments

Last edited by cehowardGS; 11-18-10 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-20-10, 09:55 PM
trek2.3bike

Bikes: Trek 5.2 and Trek 2.3 WSD upgraded to full Ultegra.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They have these racks on most trains in Europe. When I was in Italy last Summer, I could take my bike everywhere for 3 euro a day.
Old 11-21-10, 08:09 AM
pwdeegan
smitten by саша

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz with Rohloff; mutt parts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And if you get really serious about mixed-mode travel with a bicycle, you'll think long and hard about the solid advantages of a folder like a Bike Friday, Dahon, etc.
Old 11-21-10, 08:56 AM
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Amtrack is behind the times when it comes to transporting bicycles. There is no reason why bikes can't be put in a baggage car without having to box it. All it would take is a change in the baggage car configuration and some enlightened minds running Amtrack.
Old 11-21-10, 09:24 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 Amtrak is behind the times. I think it is Cal Train near San Francisco that has an entire car dedicated for bikes. Also as was said earlier, if one plans on using the train much while transporting a bike, folders should be considered. I have a Dahon that I have just put in a bag and carried it on. Admittedly it's a large package, however so far, I've had no problems.
Old 11-21-10, 09:29 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
British Rail used to have special bike cars with hooks to hang the bikes from. No disassembly needed -- when you got to your destination, you just took the bike off the hook and rode away.
Old 11-21-10, 09:52 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Amtrak's policies are different on their various trains. For example, the Capitol Corridor train that runs from Oakland through Martinez to Sacramento and Auburn has bike racks at the ends of each car and you just wheel your bike aboard, hang it upright by the front wheel on one of these racks, and go to sit down. No box needed nor is there any additional charge. Our bike club has used this train for a number of one-way club rides without any problems.

OTOH, the Coast Starlight which goes south to Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, and LA requires that bikes be boxed and only accepts them at stations with official baggage car service. So when we participate in the annual rally held in Paso Robles, taking the train back to the SF area requires that we ride down to SLO and get on there since there is no baggage car service in Paso Robles. [They do let me get on in Paso with my folding Bike Friday.]
Old 11-21-10, 11:13 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Amtrak is screwed up on their policies, it seems to vary from station to station.

I have traveled between Charleston, SC and Fayetteville, NC several times with bikes in the box. I have shipped bikes from NC to NJ and MA via Amtrak, in the box. I have never been able to put a bike in the baggage car without the box and in a couple of cases the boxes weren't available.

Another major issue IMHO is the inability to board a bike at the stations without baggage service! The only way around that one is to use a folder and take it on board as carry on baggage. One reason I am seriously considering getting a Bike Friday NWT with the travel case, or a Brompton...or both. Use the Brommie for fast fold multi modal and the BF NWT for longer haul travels.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon