Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-23, 05:03 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1940 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I think for wide profile tires, tubeless is almost a must. The ride quality advantages are real.
This bike has 700x40c Maxxis Rambler (60 TPI Silk Shield) mounted (with tubes) on DT Swiss XR 361 Asym rims (22.5 mm internal width). I need to clean the dirt off these tires and mount them tubeless on my Roval Terra CL wheels (25 mm internal width). I had also pre-bought three 700x38c Panaracer SK tires, which I hear run wider than the nominal width. So, I just need to bite the tubeless bullet.
Old 03-14-23, 05:10 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm in Laguna this week, and rode the Back Bay and San Diego Creek trails for the first time yesterday.
Welcome to the OC! I ride these two routes fairly often but do not recognize your photo above; where is that?

Useful for getting around Irvine: City_Bikeway_Map2.pdf (cityofirvine.org)
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 03-14-23, 05:20 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4933 Post(s)
Liked 8,074 Times in 3,816 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Welcome to the OC! I ride these two routes fairly often but do not recognize your photo above; where is that?

Useful for getting around Irvine: City_Bikeway_Map2.pdf (cityofirvine.org)
Pic taken at yellow circle…

Old 03-14-23, 07:02 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
I'm in Laguna this week, and rode the Back Bay and San Diego Creek trails for the first time yesterday...https://www.strava.com/activities/8708646373. Fantastic riding if you're solo or with a couple of friends

Sunday morning, I rode from Laguna to HB Pier and back on PCH.
orange county has a nicely developed network compared to neighboring counties.

https://www.octa.net/pdf/bike2010.pdf

happy riding! scr + live oak road are always worthy...esp when it's green. east end of scr/west end live oak road easily accessed from the dedicated bike path paralleling el toro road.
some of those laguna beach streets into the hills from pch (esp thalia, bluebird and nyes) are real, heart-pumping barnburners! a lot of good roadie stuff around laguna beach.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 03-14-23, 07:49 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Pic taken at yellow circle…
I see. I don't think I have ever ridden south past the spot marked "Start Point" on your map. Going that way means requires either (a) riding down CA-133 and along PCH, or (b) riding east on roads through intersections with multiple on ramps onto and off ramps from I-5 to get back northeast of I-5, unless I go all the way to Los Alisos Blvd.

Bring your gravel bike next time. Lots of gravel riding down here, many right alongside the MUPs (on the map I linked above), and a new one I recently discovered: Bike Forums - View Single Post - Portola Parkway North of CA-241 Toll Road
Old 03-14-23, 08:06 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I see. I don't think I have ever ridden south past the spot marked "Start Point" on your map. Going that way means requires either (a) riding down CA-133 and along PCH, or (b) riding east on roads through intersections with multiple on ramps onto and off ramps from I-5 to get back northeast of I-5, unless I go all the way to Los Alisos Blvd.

Bring your gravel bike next time. Lots of gravel riding down here, many right alongside the MUPs (on the map I linked above), and a new one I recently discovered: Bike Forums - View Single Post - Portola Parkway North of CA-241 Toll Road
My intent was to bring my gravel bike this time. However, my swap to 1x didn’t go as planned, and things aren’t running right. I also don’t have a place to clean my bike where I’m staying. A road bike was my best bike choice for this trip.
Old 03-15-23, 11:36 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
43rd bday ride though some local hills, then some coffee shops along the coast. Got to ride w/o a jacket for a change. followed by 3rd bike wash in a row, rear fender has been much needed lately....

https://www.strava.com/activities/8709445970

Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Likes For jsigone:
Old 03-15-23, 11:58 AM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 441 Posts
This bike has 700x40c Maxxis Rambler (60 TPI Silk Shield) mounted (with tubes) on DT Swiss XR 361 Asym rims (22.5 mm internal width). I need to clean the dirt off these tires and mount them tubeless on my Roval Terra CL wheels (25 mm internal width). I had also pre-bought three 700x38c Panaracer SK tires, which I hear run wider than the nominal width. So, I just need to bite the tubeless bullet.
The difference in suppleness and handling is very noticeable. On my Gravelking tires, I can feel the tires really grab on hard cornering and the bumps are much more muted. I also notice less tire wear since the treads can contour better with the road. Also wider profile tires are so much easier to mount and the lower air pressure is more forgiving on your tubeless tape setup.
Old 03-16-23, 09:45 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

The difference in suppleness and handling is very noticeable. On my Gravelking tires, I can feel the tires really grab on hard cornering and the bumps are much more muted. I also notice less tire wear since the treads can contour better with the road. Also wider profile tires are so much easier to mount and the lower air pressure is more forgiving on your tubeless tape setup.
Thanks. Are you suggesting that (A) I should just stop procrastinating and setup tubeless ASAP, or (B) to also ditch my current (low TPI) Maxxis Ramblers and just install the Gravelking SK?
Old 03-16-23, 09:53 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I'm in Laguna this week, and rode the Back Bay and San Diego Creek trails for the first time yesterday...https://www.strava.com/activities/8708646373. Fantastic riding if you're solo or with a couple of friends.

Sunday morning, I rode from Laguna to HB Pier and back on PCH.
Road closures at both Dana Point and Huntington Beach: PCH Shut Down By Flooding And A Landslide In Orange County | Laguna Niguel, CA Patch

Not along the routes you took but watch out for heavy construction vehicles.
Old 03-16-23, 12:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Road closures at both Dana Point and Huntington Beach: PCH Shut Down By Flooding And A Landslide In Orange County | Laguna Niguel, CA Patch

Not along the routes you took but watch out for heavy construction vehicles.
Luckily, my riding on PCH has been between those issues.
Old 03-16-23, 08:56 PM
jonathanf2

Thanks. Are you suggesting that (A) I should just stop procrastinating and setup tubeless ASAP, or (B) to also ditch my current (low TPI) Maxxis Ramblers and just install the Gravelking SK?
More like option A! I have no experience with the Ramblers, but I'm sure the tubeless advantages would translate over to those tires as well!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 03-20-23, 12:29 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Solvang double hundo! solo, started at the 6:30am wave so I can sleep in a bit longer. Went to bed at 1am.....

Bike setup, new Soloist, new saddle was going to be tested, rapha/apidura rear saddle bag to handle spares and clothing changes. 34* until like 9am when I spit out of the canyon into the strawberry fields. A$$ savers rear chain stay fender (kept the butt dry and kit clean), Magicshine rear light 200L, and 3up XPG 1800L up front with samsung cell 10k mAh battery to last the full day

0 flat tires!! YAY and I'm running tubed 28c Rubino Pros

crank BB was squeaky from those rain rides
Carbon enve saddle started creaking bad on the very bumpy and pot holed Santa Rosa Rd last 20miles. I'm gonna have to check for damage, add some lube if needed and re tq, Iduno what to do..,..I don't have any other 10+ hr rides to test the saddle endurance any time soon

Most of the ride I was solo since the late start had me behind the masses.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8738526439

Old 03-21-23, 11:13 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Saturday...After sorting out the 1x swap issues on my gravel bike Friday afternoon, I headed out Saturday afternoon for a shake-down ride on the new parts. My rear tire was oddly low before I rolled out. I pumped it up and didn't think much about it until about 10 minutes out when it started being noticeably soft. Damn. I hustled home and got there with just enough air left to keep from damaging the rim. I did a quick swap to my MTB and headed out for some climbing up to the top of Brown Mtn Road. The conditions were pretty rough in sections from rain-exposed rocks, particularly on the lower sections of the climb. My legs felt pretty dead from my OC road rides over the previous week, and my time on the climb reflected how I felt - slow. It was good to be out in the dirt on a warm day, though.

Sunday...I had intended to join one of the local morning group road rides, but the forecast of light rain talked me out of it, and I curled up with my pups on the couch for some more sleep. It didn't actually start raining until after 12, and I was pretty irritated with myself for not riding. I did an afternoon trainer session in the garage as penance for my poor judgement.
Old 03-25-23, 10:19 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

back to back dry weekends!!!! Some coffee, lots of hills. Mission bay loop to check out the seal beach. Coastal up to La Costa and head to Double Peaks park, 2 buddy's needed their cherry popped. Del Dios back the beach and inside route up Torrey Pines.
https://www.strava.com/activities/8777358413

Likes For jsigone:
Old 03-26-23, 07:38 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Holy Carp! I had to re-read this post. At first I thought you road from Mission Bay to Seal Beach and then did all that other stuff in 1 day. I'm sitting here telling myself this guy is a freakin' animal. (I guess there's a seal beach near mission bay), D'oh!
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 03-26-23, 09:51 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

haaa yah seal beach/ Children’s Pool in La jolla Cove https://www.sandiego.com/listing/chi...n-la-jolla/78/
originally designed for Childrens pool but seals took it over long time ago.

I think going to Seal Beach in Irvine and back would be another double hundo. I don't think I need to do those back to back weekend I mean I'm in good shape for it so it's possible but not w/ these riding buds
Old 03-27-23, 10:22 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Saturday...22mi gravel ride on the hills and roads around Altadena and La Canada on a beautiful, sunny, spring afternoon. Good test for new 1x setup with a 20% pitch on the first climb (Chaney Trail Rd). I'm very happy with the new gearing configuration on this bike. https://www.strava.com/activities/8777340447

Sunday..."Coffee Ride" (37mi) group road ride. Easy tempo pace for the first half, and then the heat gets dialed up, and the group thins out. I totally f***ed up a stop sign intersection while pulling the group at about 24mph. There was a truck waiting at the stop sign coming the other way (towards us). I didn't see a turn signal, and it appeared to be just sitting and waiting. I slowed a little as we approached the intersection, assessing the situation, and then proceeded straight. Just as we started into the intersection, the truck turned on its left turn signal and started turning in front of us. Panic ensued. Riders scattered in all different directions around the truck. One guy ended up bouncing off a couple of people and a stopped car before tumbling to the ground (he was okay). I didn't do a good job looking after the safety of the group when it was my turn to do so, and I feel awful about that. I'm glad no one got hurt. The truck never stopped. https://www.strava.com/activities/8782260092
Old 03-27-23, 10:34 AM
jonathanf2

Saturday...22mi gravel ride on the hills and roads around Altadena and La Canada on a beautiful, sunny, spring afternoon. Good test for new 1x setup with a 20% pitch on the first climb (Chaney Trail Rd). I'm very happy with the new gearing configuration on this bike. https://www.strava.com/activities/8777340447

Sunday..."Coffee Ride" (37mi) group road ride. Easy tempo pace for the first half, and then the heat gets dialed up, and the group thins out. I totally f***ed up a stop sign intersection while pulling the group at about 24mph. There was a truck waiting at the stop sign coming the other way (towards us). I didn't see a turn signal, and it appeared to be just sitting and waiting. I slowed a little as we approached the intersection, assessing the situation, and then proceeded straight. Just as we started into the intersection, the truck turned on its left turn signal and started turning in front of us. Panic ensued. Riders scattered in all different directions around the truck. One guy ended up bouncing off a couple of people and a stopped car before tumbling to the ground (he was okay). I didn't do a good job looking after the safety of the group when it was my turn to do so, and I feel awful about that. I'm glad no one got hurt. The truck never stopped. https://www.strava.com/activities/8782260092
Glad to hear no one got hurt! I ride with some very vocal ride groups and we're constantly calling out obstructions and cars. Also there's always 1-3 riders controlling the intersection for the safety of the group. Even if you missed it, I'm surprised no one in the pack called out to stop or slow down.
Old 03-27-23, 10:44 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Glad to hear no one got hurt! I ride with some very vocal ride groups and we're constantly calling out obstructions and cars. Also there's always 1-3 riders controlling the intersection for the safety of the group. Even if you missed it, I'm surprised no one in the pack called out to stop or slow down.
This was a group of experienced and skilled riders, mostly ex-racers. Pointing out hazards and obstacles is normal operating procedure, for sure. In talking with other riders in the group who were behind me, they saw the same thing I did, and read it the same way. However, it was my job to evaluate the situation for the safety of everyone, and I didn't do it well enough.
Old 03-27-23, 05:45 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Lunch ride, soooooo nice outside!! Quick 56 trail, no sleeve, no gloves, so awesome
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqT2D...on_share_sheet

https://www.strava.com/activities/8788161535
Old 03-27-23, 06:58 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
45-miler from sdsu area over to dtown sd, ferry over to coronado, then down the silver strand bike path to chula vista,
ne to bonita and a lolita's taco shop stop for a late lunch. north to and through lemon grove and west back to sdsu area.
pretty windy in the actual town of coronado but manageable elsewhere. as jsigone mentioned, pretty nice out.
got some lb's to banish now that it's (presumably) warming/drying up.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8788990500
Likes For diphthong:
Old 03-30-23, 12:37 PM
madscycles

Bikes: Canyon road // Salsa mtb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
hah me too! Epic ride nonetheless.
Old 04-01-23, 02:53 PM
Jimriides
NotaNewbie

Bikes: Cannondale FSI - Cannondale R1000 - Firestone Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Orange County

First ride in 6/weeks due to inclement weather and great Fishing. Not a lot of days without rain and wind. Amazing how much stamina I lost. The Legs felt strong but I could barely back it up without having to go into deep breathing mode. I could recover but it was strange not ripping up the trail like I have been doing for so long. Today was partial Road, Trail, Truck Trail and Single Track from Anaheim to Irvine Park Via SART, Santiago Creek Trail, thru Santiago Oaks Park, over Villa Park Dam and down into the Park. Rip around the Park, fill the bottles and back on the same route. Usual 3 hour grind today it took me 18 minutes longer. It will come quick I’m sure
Likes For Jimriides:
Old 04-01-23, 06:18 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2237 Post(s)
Liked 3,428 Times in 1,793 Posts
It was yesterday, but we drove 200 miles down to Santa Barbara County to do the Drum Canyon Loop.

About 3/4 into it, we got to Drum Canyon. The road was closed.

We did it anyway.

(It was nothing worse than what I have to ride or drive through every day to get out from our house.)
Likes For Polaris OBark:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.