Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Hollywood rack review

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Hollywood rack review

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-23, 08:05 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Hollywood rack review

Just a quick review with some pics. Finally got around to assembling and installing the 150 pound limit rack, which itself weighs about 50 pounds.

It's our 1st trailer hitch rack and did not find it difficult to assemble and install. We need it for the Rad Rovers which weigh 70 pounds each.

It straps at the tires and also with a central post that ratchets down on each bike. Though it calls for the batteries to be removed, ours are semi-integrated, and they remained on.

It's surprising easy to mount the bikes by jogging between the front tire on, followed by the rear, hopscotch style.

I really like the the rack locks at the hitch and on the central post, securing the bikes and rack.

It is a little un-nerving how much sway the bikes have, mainly do to the single post hitch system, but we drove on mixed surfaces today for about 40 miles without issue.
Likes For kayakindude:
Old 02-13-23, 11:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
More importantly what is the per bike weight on that rack? The total rack capacity doesn't matter it is all about the per bike weight. If you are noticing a lot of swaying keep in mind it is a low initial cost rack so it might sway or flex more especially when super close to limits and definitely if over the limits. I would remove your batteries and that might help a bit. Also keep an eye on rust and any damage to parts it is a safety item first. When it fails it could be extremely dangerous 60lbs plus 2 75lb bikes is a lot to go flying into a car behind you. When we sold them they had rust issues and hopefully they have found a good powercoater instead of painting them but even if a good rack it is still important to keep a close eye on it.
Old 02-15-23, 09:25 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
cool

what is the grey tubular thing between the spare tire & the bikes?

fwiw - re: sway, I use stability straps on my hitch rack. our setup is completely different but there might be some way to add stability straps to your setup
Old 02-15-23, 06:35 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Rack wasn't inexpensive, cost $500. Weight rating per bike is 80 pounds. The Rovers are 70 pounds with the battery.

Rack itself is 58 pounds and uses a 2 inch hitch. I can definitely remove the batteries to drop some weight and add some strapping for security.

Gray tube is another bike rack (Thule) that mounts on the tire. That's a 2 bike rack and I think that's rated around 70 pounds. We use that for our tandem.

I only plan on placing the Hollywood rack in the hitch when using the fatty's, so maybe once a week. They have a 45 mile range so most places are within reach of home.

Another neat device is the brace bar that converts a step through bike into a high step in order to secure it.

Last edited by kayakindude; 02-15-23 at 06:40 PM.
Likes For kayakindude:
Old 02-17-23, 11:22 AM
Terfer944

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
My only downside on those rack are the part and service in Quebec. but for the price ! nice rack
Old 05-20-23, 12:45 PM
Battery Powered

Bikes: EG Geneva's

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
We have the Hollywood RV Rider hitch mount rack on the back of our 5th wheel trailer. Our bikes weigh 55lbs each, after 3 years and 25k miles we have had no issues and have traveled on some fairly bumpy roads
Likes For Battery Powered:
Old 05-25-23, 11:28 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by kayakindude
Just a quick review with some pics. Finally got around to assembling and installing the 150 pound limit rack, which itself weighs about 50 pounds.
It's our 1st trailer hitch rack and did not find it difficult to assemble and install. We need it for the Rad Rovers which weigh 70 pounds each.
looks like the Jeep has a standard 2" receiver. also looks like the rack's shank is 2", so it doesn't require any kind of adapter, is that correct?
Old 05-25-23, 01:19 PM
kayakindude

Correct on the Wrangler. I bought a bolt on hitch kit, very easy to install. If you were going to leave it on all the time then I would recommend a hitch extension so the you can open the rear door. It's a heavy rack but easy enough to pop on and off depending on your needs.
Likes For kayakindude:
Old 05-31-23, 07:26 AM
Mike_Kelly

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 27 Posts
This rack is built like a tank. We have thousands of miles on ours. IF you tighten the hitch shim it can be very tight and not bounce.