Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bafang 1000w a good fit for me? Mountain bike/old fat/bad knee

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 03-14-23, 07:24 AM
OldFat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys first time poster,

backdrop: im 36 out of shape and have a bad knee that really limits my time in the woods/riding. i weigh about 235lb

I have a 2016 giant trance 2 im thinking about converting to an ebike using the bafang 1000w mid drive with a 17AH 48v battery.

Looking for something that can do "most" of the pedaling for me, through rougher terrain (hills, ruts, general mountain) for a few hours at a time, or, say, 15 miles worth.

my biggest concerns are longevity, durability, and reliability.

what components should i get with the kit, and which are extras i should pass on? i do have hydraulic disc brakes.

Ive read bad things about the factory bafang crank ring, which one is the one to get? Im not really worried about top speed, 25mph+ would be great, but low speed torque and climbing power is important.

all things considered, before i spend the cash, does this sound like a good fit for me?
Old 03-14-23, 08:05 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Should be a perfect fit IMO (I have three BBS02's for my wife, son and myself, and the first one is going on eight years of severe off road use with neither maintenance of the kit nor problems; the other two have been perfect too. You're correct about the chainring that comes with the kit and may want a smaller one for better off road gearing and a better chainline. Also, I used Lekkie crank arms on the BBS02's since they provided for both arms to be equidistant from the chainstays (I don't know if this is necessary on BBSHD's).
Old 03-19-23, 06:01 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
My only experience is a BBSHD motor over the last two years. It’s used 98% of the time off road. Same battery. I’m on my third derailleur and one wheel rebuild. It has enough abrupt torque and power to ride like a motorcycle (low speed ) which can lead to unintended damage off road or acidental acceleration off the bike when walking it. Like portable hand tools can have arm damaging torque the Bafangs are big motors that need more robust transmissions for my application. That aside it’s a gas. I’m 67 and have dropped about thirty lbs with it. For road riding where power can be put down more smoothly I don’t think I would have the same problems. It was sticks getting tossed into the chain and rear wheel that did it. It would be nice if it had torque sensing pedal assist.
Likes For LeeG:
Old 03-21-23, 06:38 AM
Sphr4u2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BBSHD & long term goal.

Just completed BBSHD with 52v 19.2ah battery and DCP 18u yesterday. Took longer than wanted due to faulty battery and exchange. 67, retired, 2 stints, BMI 28%, active- walking 10k steps 6+ days p/wk. 10-15 yrs ago road 1k+ m/yr in central NY. Missed that fun as rural roads where I live in WV are not bike friendly (very narrow).
The more I read about e-bikes and conversions the more excited I became to build my own and enjoy an affordable healthy fun hobby in retirement. C&O trail is not too far away, plus local and state parks have trails I can get to; PA, MD & VA are all about a 20 mile ride by car. As of yet I don’t know of anyone to ride with but that can always change.
Why did I choose the BBSHD and a 52 volt battery? I didn’t want to have any regrets later like: could have, should have, etc, Most roads and trails are kinda hilly and I wanted to have assistance when needed and also to be able to accelerate quickly if needed.
This really seems like something I can grow into, learn and enjoy for years to come. Todays ride, an exciting trail that’s 10 miles out and 10 back.
Ride safely.

Last edited by Sphr4u2; 03-21-23 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Typo