Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello from Brooklyn, NY

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hello from Brooklyn, NY

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-22, 07:59 PM
Arctic Fox55

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh Record, Royal Enfield Compact 2000 Folding Bike, Goldenhill Apache Superbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello from Brooklyn, NY

Hi everyone, my name is Melba and I was born and still live in Brooklyn, NY. I ride a Vintage Record Raleigh 502 but have gotten two new bikes. A Royal Enfield Compact 2000 Foldable Bike and and a Czech bike called a Goldenhill Apache Foldable Superbike.

I am hoping to connect with other bike riders on this forum and see other types of bikes.

​​​​
​​​
Likes For Arctic Fox55:
Old 10-05-22, 04:23 AM
electricPony
Older and wiser

Bikes: Old school Electra cruiser, Giant AnyRoad One and a Mastretta MX3 LT80

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Hey man! How's Brooklyn? I've never been there. I dig the urban assault machines you have. I did my share of urban and trail rides in Eau Claire Wisconsin.
I moved to Northern California in 2012. Hella good riding there. My last new analog bike was a Giant AnyRoad One in 2014.
Best regards, Mark
Old 10-05-22, 04:39 AM
Arctic Fox55

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh Record, Royal Enfield Compact 2000 Folding Bike, Goldenhill Apache Superbike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brooklyn has changed a lot. We have bike lanes now and new places for bicyclists to ride in. Only problem is people going the wrong way on one way bike lanes. Real hazard. I would love to do a bike tour one day. Nice that you've ridden so many different places. I would love to tour Northern California. Bike trails are great out there especially the rough terrains.
Thanks for the greeting Mark. Hope you get a chance to visit Brooklyn one day
​​
Old 10-05-22, 05:19 AM
electricPony
Older and wiser

Bikes: Old school Electra cruiser, Giant AnyRoad One and a Mastretta MX3 LT80

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Excellent! I've relocated to so-cal in the desert on the Salton Sea. We are surrounded by mountains and peaceful people. You also welcome to visit anytime.
Do you still tolerate the cold? I don't, so I am here with my wife Kate and our two sister cats. She grew up in San Francisco and is from Connecticut. If I get out see her dad I will let you know. Thanks bro!
Old 10-05-22, 09:00 AM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Any sense the Red Hook Crit will make a comeback in your city? That was some wild urban racing.

Mike
Old 10-05-22, 09:18 AM
Arctic Fox55

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's been canceled due to funding problems, finding sponsors, crashes, etc. You know the typical bs Don't know if it will return.
Old 10-05-22, 11:18 AM
IcySwan1 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Bummer. Thanks for the update.

Mike
Old 10-05-22, 11:41 PM
Arctic Fox55

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
​​​​
​​​​​​No problem.
Old 10-14-22, 03:25 PM
polocamacho

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Howdy!
Old 10-14-22, 04:43 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Welcome, AF. I worked 40 years at Brooklyn College till retiring last April. Would bike commute from SW Nassau county, I was lucky I could leave my car at the college, bike 27 miles home, return in morning. Used the Bedford bike lane to Mill Basin, then the path to Flatbush, over the bridge to the Rocks, then along the boardwalk. It was a wonderful commute, sure beat sitting in traffic on the Belt. Some times after work, I would head head to Prospect Park and do a few laps. Brooklyn is not a bad place to ride, especially after the city started adding so much cycling infrastructure. If we could only get the cops to ticket cars and trucks parked in the bike lanes.
Old 10-16-22, 09:07 PM
Arctic Fox55

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi

That seems like a long bike ride. Never biked that far but it must have been fun.
Old 10-16-22, 09:38 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox55
That seems like a long bike ride. Never biked that far but it must have been fun.
There was a secure parking lot, I could leave my car at work, bike home, took 2 hrs., bike back in the morning. Sometimes I would park about 18 miles out and do a RT in a day. That was tolerable. When I was in my 30's and racing I would do 2 54 mile RT's a week. I was in good shape way back then. I liked riding in the city, great cycling infrastructure. ,

Last edited by Steve B.; 10-16-22 at 09:41 PM.