Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

FDNY calls for ban on importation of cheap Li-Ion batteries

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-23, 09:47 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts

FDNY Wants Feds to Ban Faulty Lithium-Ion Batteries From Entering U.S. – Streetsblog New York City
Old 02-14-23, 11:33 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
The intention is good, but the probability of success is tiny.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 02-20-23, 05:28 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
This is city politics and nothing more. Who exactly is going to inspect all the batteries arriving at U.S. ports which are in the billlions of units? Most home fires are still caused by smokers.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 02-20-23, 06:52 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 105 Posts
Most house fires in the USA are cooking related followed by heating systems and intentionally set. Smoking is a distant 4th cause of home fires.

Fire Causes

One issue with the cheap batteries is they go from looking fine to shooting a large jet of flame and creating heavy smoke in a few seconds. These fires burn hotter and faster than a cooking grease fire. In NYC there have been many fires where the e-bike or scooter battery ignites where it is plugged in, by the front door of an apartment. This prevents the occupants from escaping and has resulted in several deaths in apartment high-rise buildings.
Old 02-24-23, 10:51 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Those non Lifepo4 batteries are seriously scary.
Old 02-24-23, 10:58 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 452 Posts
After nearly a decade of converting & riding ebikes, I have yet to witness a single battery fire issues myself.
I've heard of them in the news, interwebs, etc.. just not witness any.

In the early days for ebikes, they were lead acid batteries that cause fires.
Nowadays with lithium battery fires; I suspect they are just poor wiring job or charging practices.

Personally, I feel that strapping a container of flammable fuel on to a vehicle and travel at 50-60 mph isn't much safer.
How many car fires occur daily? fuel tank explosions in the news?
I'm sure there are plenty of those occurring every single day, just don't get as much attention and don't reported all over the interwebs.
Regardless how much you regulate with laws, doesn't change the fact that gasoline is flammable fuel that is meant to burn while the vehicle is in operation.
The sheer number of gasoline engine operating in the world allow us mankind to feel that gasoline cars are safe and okay to be used in the billions.
If the same number of ebikes are operating (as gas vehicles) & ebike batteries are exploding at the same rate of gas tanks explosions around the world; would you feel any safer?
Old 02-24-23, 12:50 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 621 Posts
As stated above, how would this be policed especially since some of the "bad" batteries are contained in bikes, scooters etc? I agree that something is necessary since any fly by night supplier can start a "company" by buying a skid of bikes, scooters batteries, whatever?
Old 02-26-23, 07:22 PM
KenCT

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105 (2021) Cannondale Cujo 2 (2018) Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 (2017) Giant Sedona (2006) Cannondale R1000 (2001)

Gasoline tanks really don’t explode. I’ve been a firefighter for 40 years and have been to a couple hundred car fires. On a rare occasion a tank may rupture and dump gasoline on the ground. It makes an impressive fireball. This is very rare.

New York and other cities are having the problem with knockoff batteries failing inside homes or apartments. As previously posted, banning knockoffs is nearly unenforceable until after a fire occurs.

Originally Posted by cat0020
After nearly a decade of converting & riding ebikes, I have yet to witness a single battery fire issues myself.
I've heard of them in the news, interwebs, etc.. just not witness any.

In the early days for ebikes, they were lead acid batteries that cause fires.
Nowadays with lithium battery fires; I suspect they are just poor wiring job or charging practices.

Personally, I feel that strapping a container of flammable fuel on to a vehicle and travel at 50-60 mph isn't much safer.
How many car fires occur daily? fuel tank explosions in the news?
I'm sure there are plenty of those occurring every single day, just don't get as much attention and don't reported all over the interwebs.
Regardless how much you regulate with laws, doesn't change the fact that gasoline is flammable fuel that is meant to burn while the vehicle is in operation.
The sheer number of gasoline engine operating in the world allow us mankind to feel that gasoline cars are safe and okay to be used in the billions.
If the same number of ebikes are operating (as gas vehicles) & ebike batteries are exploding at the same rate of gas tanks explosions around the world; would you feel any safer?
Old 02-26-23, 07:33 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by KenCT
Gasoline tanks really don’t explode. I’ve been a firefighter for 40 years and have been to a couple hundred car fires. On a rare occasion a tank may rupture and dump gasoline on the ground. It makes an impressive fireball. This is very rare.

New York and other cities are having the problem with knockoff batteries failing inside homes or apartments. As previously posted, banning knockoffs is nearly unenforceable until after a fire occurs.
I used to pour gas on rolls of caps and ignite with a hammer. Lite up a couple of 2.5 gallon cans as a 6 year old. Wish I knew there was no danger, might have saved me a beating.

I only buy quality Li batteries and still charge them in the garage on the concrete floor with a quality charger. Am I too cautious? I just feel afraid to charge them inside the house.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 02-28-23, 06:50 PM
KenCT

I have several Li batteries, all OEM and correct chargers, no worries when charging. Many of the failures seem to be from a combination of knockoff batteries, modified devices (more speed) and improper charging.
Old 03-06-23, 01:14 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
While there have been many incidents, I have yet to see ANY real details, and nobody connected to these incidents has ever answered an email to get details.

If you dont know what really caused it you cant fix it.

I'm guessing this is just another knee jerk reaction. There werent any fires reported until the last year. The UK is also having a problem. (Based on news in a UK trade mag) but once again they are unresponsive too.

NY and the west coast can make all the rules they want, as long as they dont end up anywhere else UNTIL they reveal cause.
Old 03-06-23, 09:20 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

This new law in NYC will likely impact the ebike shops in Brooklyn that I use for electrical troubleshooting.

Usually they are good with fixing stuff while you wait, lots of knowledge in getting ebikes back on the road.

These ebike shops cater to delivery folks that depend on their ebikes to make a living,
I wonder how it might impact the local economy beyond just the ebike shops.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/reta...e#.ZAX91HbMJhE

Last edited by cat0020; 03-06-23 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-06-23, 09:42 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Maybe the message is because of this fire https://nypost.com/2023/03/05/e-bike...and-injures-7/ yesterday. It was a scooter, not an e-bike. Either one can be equipped with batteries that have substantial capacity compared to the single 18650 battery used in my flashlight. It's a lot more difficult for fire departments to deal with because pouring water on a lithium battery doesn't put it out but may accelerate the fire. One scooter took out an entire store. It might not be a bad thing to have minimum standards for these batteries. Think of this happening inside a home or garage.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 03-06-23, 11:41 AM
2old

I'm 100% in favor of Li battery regulation, but without control of direct to consumer transactions, it'll be futile. A friend ordered a battery from a supposedly reputable company in China and, although they charged for it to be shipped properly, it came in a box marked "battery charger" which allowed it to be sent much more inexpensively. It seems (to me) as though we don't have recourse to penalize a Chinese company.
Likes For 2old:
Old 03-06-23, 02:05 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
E-Bike fires

Not sure if you will be able to read this since it is behind a paywall but it is an interesting read...

not too surprising considering the phone, e-cig, and other similar fires. it was just a matter of time until enough occurrences happened.

from the article:
Many e-bike fires start when people charge them overnight, allowing them to overheat. Left in hallways or near doors, the malfunctioning batteries cause fast-moving fires that can trap people inside their homes in minutes. Secondhand batteries or those that have been modified are particularly vulnerable. The chemical fires, which release harmful gases, burn so hot and so quickly they are extremely difficult to put out.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/e-bike-...-york-a3c1e45c
Old 03-06-23, 02:24 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
No need for WSJ, there's tons of similar articles.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...livery-workers
Old 03-06-23, 02:44 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
In E-bikes E-bike fires
Old 03-06-23, 02:46 PM
FBOATSB

Here's one on NPR.
https://www.npr.org/2022/10/30/11302...etimes-fatally
So much power packed into such a small package, aftermarket batteries, then sketchy charging practices.
Old 03-06-23, 02:50 PM
FBOATSB

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
In E-bikes E-bike fires
Yup, read that one as well. This could probably moved/merged.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 03-06-23, 02:55 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
Probably soon be moved. They're pretty good about keeping Ebike threads where they belong.
Old 03-06-23, 03:01 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,781 Posts
Merged dup threads

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 03-07-23, 07:17 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Amid fire concern, NYC banning sale of electric bikes without UL-listed batteries

https://electrek.co/2023/03/07/nyc-b...tteries-fires/

"So yes, I definitely support the idea of improved e-bike safety. But let’s all keep the scope of this problem in perspective.
At risk of some type of moral relativism here, I’d say there are some significantly bigger threats to public safety rolling around that we could be committing this type of energy and legislation toward fixing.
Around 300 pedestrians are killed by cars in NYC every year.
So far this year NYC has reported two deaths from e-bike fires. While each is a tragedy, the difference in scale is obvious."
Old 03-07-23, 07:53 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by 2old
I'm 100% in favor of Li battery regulation, but without control of direct to consumer transactions, it'll be futile. A friend ordered a battery from a supposedly reputable company in China and, although they charged for it to be shipped properly, it came in a box marked "battery charger" which allowed it to be sent much more inexpensively. It seems (to me) as though we don't have recourse to penalize a Chinese company.
Yes, we do have recourse. Refuse to do business with them. If they are mis-labeling shipments to avoid paying extra for potentially dangerous cargo, report them to Customs. Maybe they will begin inspecting every shipment from that company as it arrives in the ports.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 03-07-23, 09:01 AM
2old

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Yes, we do have recourse. Refuse to do business with them. If they are mis-labeling shipments to avoid paying extra for potentially dangerous cargo, report them to Customs. Maybe they will begin inspecting every shipment from that company as it arrives in the ports.
And cows will fly someday. Read the accounts and see if this has ever happened. Endless Sphere has a report from one of their mods whose house burned down (fortunately his dogs alerted the family so nobody died) and the company had already gone out of business (or more likely, changed names); even his insurance company had no chance of collecting.
Old 03-07-23, 11:45 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by 2old
And cows will fly someday. Read the accounts and see if this has ever happened. Endless Sphere has a report from one of their mods whose house burned down (fortunately his dogs alerted the family so nobody died) and the company had already gone out of business (or more likely, changed names); even his insurance company had no chance of collecting.
If no one bothers to make a report, the cows will never grow wings.
I stopped buying from one particular Chinese battery company after the Li-Po battery I purchased new from them for an electric R/C plane swelled badly during the initial charge. I used a cell-matching charger, and it shut down when it saw how bad the battery was, thankfully. Otherwise, a potentially catastrophic fire in the house could have occurred. (As a precaution, I always charged my batteries in a fire-resistant charging bag, just in case.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.