Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Ease of changing wheelsets

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-23, 08:37 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts

One topic I don’t see drawing much concern with e-bikes is the ability to easily change wheelsets with a mid motor compared to the much more expensive proposition of doing it with a hub drive.
I’m not an e-bike owner just yet but when I do this will be an absolute factor in my choice of bike which sadly eliminates Orbea at least for now.
Being able to use the bike for both road and gravel is important to me and yes I can run gravel tires on pavement but prefer not to if it’s a long ride with zero gravel.
Old 02-22-23, 08:48 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Why would changing wheelsets on a mid-drive bike be any different than on a human-drive bike?

I can see some durability concerns relating to inappropriate freehub material against a motivated rider + motor, or wear concerns at the cassette from riding motor assisted in too small of cog.

Brake caliper/shifting alignment issue between wheel set A v/s B is going to be the immediate concern. But that's hardly atypical with switching wheel sets in general.

Last edited by base2; 02-22-23 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-22-23, 08:58 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
I think you misunderstood me or I wasn’t clear. What I was referring to was the ease of changing wheelsets with mid drive bikes as they use standard wheelsets as compared to hub drive wheelset being a substantial cost increase should one wish to switch back and forth.
And I am of course talking about the Orbea Gain / Scott Addict style bikes, not the larger utility style.
Old 02-22-23, 09:17 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
would it even be practical? you would have to change controllers and the wiring and maybe the battery.
Old 02-22-23, 09:29 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
The ease of switching wheels on a mid-drive e-bike will be the same as a regular bike, with all the same concerns.

Because an e-bike has more power, there may be other concerns relating to longterm durability. I thought to include those that occurred off the top of my head, because with the extra power on tap, an e-bike has little need for typical light weight, supple, low spoke count, etc...That would typically motivate someone to have a dedicated purpose built "nice" wheel sets in the first place. But if you wanted to, they were at least factors to consider.

I get it. 2 wheelsets. One knobby & wide, the other smooth, light. There is no reason a mid-drive couldn't wear either interchangeably. But with all the extra power, there just isn't much reason to wear one over the other in the first place.

The long distance cyclist interested in efficiency & symbiosis of man + machine is at cross purposes with "man uses bike." Perhaps that's why there isn't much to be found in your searching?

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 02-22-23, 09:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
One thing for a mid drive don't forget your sensor magnets. I did that on one of my bikes and we were fighting so much trying to figure out what the heck was going on and why it wouldn't work and in the end it was a simple magnet we forgot in all the trouble. Nothing expensive nothing hard to get but easy to forget. My main ride is Rohloff equipped so no swapping wheelsets for me. However yeah generally with a mid drive it is pretty easy so long as you don't forget magnets and such.