Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Salt air/fog/rain and ebikes...

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-23, 07:31 AM
sande005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Staying on the Gulf Coast for 3 months, and biking every day, for the first time. Ocean is about 1/4 mile away. The bikes (Trek XM700 and Trek Lift+ Lowstep) have to stay out all the time, not even an overhang to hide them under. I do have waterproof covers for them. Have been sometimes surprised by quick, un-forecasted, weather changes though. High off-ocean winds, marine fog, and very brief rain events sometimes happen without them being covered. At least I always put a plastic bag over the Brooks saddle. Have noticed on those times the outside of the RV feels "slick" more than would be normal from rain. I assume wind blown salt laden spray carried inland. My fairly new chain surface rusted almost over night! I do degrease and reoil them weekly now, to keep it and the drive train modestly protected.

Should I be doing more? Gentle hose down frequently (I have hot/cold available)? The LBS back home is running their Spring Re-do-it-all special - should I schedule it for my return, to do a total bearing teardown/repack? Any other tips to avoid salt/corrosion issues?
Old 02-23-23, 11:46 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
I'm in an area of socal where that's not a problem, but I have friends who live near the beach and even though they keep their bikes inside, they experience corrosion. If I were in your environment I would (keep the bikes inside which apparently isn't possible for you, but at least keep the batteries inside), wash and wax them regularly and service the motors when you return.
Old 03-15-23, 12:18 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Believe it not but rust requires oxygen and anything that presents a barrier will prevent rust. Something that works rather well is spray starch from an aerosol can. It is harmless and easy to clean off and does prevent oxidation on metal surfaces. When I have metal parts that need to be protected after cleaning off oil protectorants I use spray starch to keep them from oxiding while they are stored.

As the bike cools during the night any moisture in the air can condense on the metal parts even with a bike cover. I have gone to using large plastic storage bags meant for storing bed mattresses as I can seal the bag and this helps a great deal.