Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

'On beautiful country trails, fights over e-bikes can get ugly'

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-23, 04:53 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts

Maddy Butcher, in SW Colorado, writes about the conflict between e-bikers and other trail users.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...raffic-e-bike/
right-click on the link, save the file, read the copy
Old 03-08-23, 10:08 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
As usual the "information" used to make an issue out of something that shouldnt be an issue is....false!

It was proved years ago that e-mtb's cause LESS damage to trails that regular pedal bikes.

Of course the regular users whispered in the ears of those who mange trails "ebikes BAD!" and those people believed it. DNR's and forest service have some bizarre rules, while the National Park service said OK almost 5 years ago.

Ebike use on a trail isnt an issue. Sometimes a rider IS an issue, but trail managers have NEVER done anything about those guys in spandex blasting through people at 25-30 mph. Most if not all ebike riders are respectful to others and rarely exceed the unposted speed limit of 15.

If you need to do some advocating, contact people for bikes. They are a good source of information and help. They showed up in my home state of OH to help with passing the 3 class system. It did pass unanimously. You know that never happens in the wold world of politics.

-SP
Likes For speedy25:
Old 03-08-23, 11:10 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3232 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy25
As usual the "information" used to make an issue out of something that shouldnt be an issue is....false!

It was proved years ago that e-mtb's cause LESS damage to trails that regular pedal bikes.

Of course the regular users whispered in the ears of those who mange trails "ebikes BAD!" and those people believed it. DNR's and forest service have some bizarre rules, while the National Park service said OK almost 5 years ago.

Ebike use on a trail isnt an issue. Sometimes a rider IS an issue, but trail managers have NEVER done anything about those guys in spandex blasting through people at 25-30 mph. Most if not all ebike riders are respectful to others and rarely exceed the unposted speed limit of 15.

If you need to do some advocating, contact people for bikes. They are a good source of information and help. They showed up in my home state of OH to help with passing the 3 class system. It did pass unanimously. You know that never happens in the wold world of politics.

-SP
There are inaccuracies here. E-bikes that use throttles generally can produce a lot more horsepower than a mt. bike with no motor assist and as such and if used poorly, can cause significant trail damage, where a non motorized mt, bike cannot. I have seen this occur and is the reason I think class 1& 2 e-bikes should be banned from dirt trails that allow hikers and mt. bikes.
Old 03-09-23, 02:01 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
Whether it is fair or not, in my burg of Orange County, CA, e-MTB's are prohibited on all city, county and state trails. The only semi-decent "trail(s)" they're allowed on are fire roads that are legal for motor vehicles too. However, since the parks are mostly not policed, there is a lot of "e" activity.
Old 03-14-23, 10:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
I saw this was written by a horse person and laughed and laughed. They do tend to win battles like this though, even though most of them shouldn't be allowed to ride on a public mixed-use trail.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-14-23, 10:47 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts

-SP
I find that hard to believe.
Old 03-14-23, 11:28 AM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Any bicycle with or without power can damage trails. So can horses and these particular users leave behind large piles of excrement as well. Where I live the trails are closed during and after a rain to allow them to dry out which helps a great deal.
Old 03-14-23, 11:43 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
The Great Smoky Mountains National Park allows horse riders to use the same trail as hikers, it is a mess, plus each rider is essentially three two legged hikers. Where I live now allow bikers and hikers, but no horses. There is a noticeable difference.

I grew up riding horses. Some horses are shy and will jump out of their skin when surprised.
Old 03-22-23, 11:58 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
The Great Smoky Mountains National Park allows horse riders to use the same trail as hikers, it is a mess, plus each rider is essentially three two legged hikers. Where I live now allow bikers and hikers, but no horses. There is a noticeable difference.

I grew up riding horses. Some horses are shy and will jump out of their skin when surprised.
Seems it'd be even worse - a horse with rider would puts down a lot of PSI on each hoof, so they'd presumably disturb the trail surface a lot more than a hiker, particularly when wet.

Plus very few hikers drop deuces as they're walking down the trail...
Old 03-22-23, 02:18 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Bikers, hikers, and people on horses should not be on the same trails. "Mixed use" is a political response that ignores the reality of inevitable conflicts when forced to use the same trails. Same problems on bike paths with people on road bikes, people pushing strollers with toddlers, and groups socializing and often stopping on the path to chat.

Best solution as this time would be to limit the time of day for each user group on the trails and on bike paths. People would need to learn to read signs which is no small thing.
Old 03-22-23, 02:19 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,652 Times in 779 Posts
Most if not all ebike riders are respectful to others and rarely exceed the unposted speed limit of 15.

Old 03-22-23, 03:01 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
It was proved years ago that e-mtb's cause LESS damage to trails than regular pedal bikes.
Years ago, most people were unaware that ebikes existed. Now they're everywhere and make it easy for exponentially increasing numbers of people to tear it up in the woods who would never think of sweating their way up a trail on an MTB, much less in hiking boots.

Ebike use on a trail isnt an issue. Sometimes a rider IS an issue, but trail managers have NEVER done anything about those guys in spandex blasting through people at 25-30 mph.
Seriously? Lycra-bashing? You're better than that.

Most if not all ebike riders are respectful to others and rarely exceed the unposted speed limit of 15.
I saw an ebike rider poking along at under 15 mph once.

Once.
Likes For Trakhak: