Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Installation of GPS tracker

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 03-07-23, 09:04 AM
rapattack

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

Can something like this be installed in a ebike?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKEw466
I have had a hidden GPS tracker for years that's not like this. wasn't meant for a bike. appreciate some advice. I have opened the part when all the leads are and did some stuff so this is not an unknown world to me
Old 03-07-23, 09:21 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Apple iTag ?
Old 03-07-23, 10:15 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Apple iTag ?
I don't know the pricing of that item and I don't have an iPhone. don't know much about them. I am on a pension and presume apple products are out of my price range. did a quick search and they r Bluetooth. not into Bluetooth for tracking. prefer gps
Old 03-09-23, 11:04 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Don't let your e-bike out of your sight. Cheap, if not easy. A decent U-Lock should allow a quick nip in for five items max at a time, in an urban area. Theft risks are overstated in most areas, and where theft rates are indisputably high, the answer is what I stated at the outset. I know a few people that recovered vehicles with help from tracking systems. They didn't want them back after they saw what had been done to them. Tough, because if they find it for you they will want you to take possession.
Old 03-17-23, 08:49 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Don't let your e-bike out of your sight. Cheap, if not easy. A decent U-Lock should allow a quick nip in for five items max at a time, in an urban area. Theft risks are overstated in most areas, and where theft rates are indisputably high, the answer is what I stated at the outset. I know a few people that recovered vehicles with help from tracking systems. They didn't want them back after they saw what had been done to them. Tough, because if they find it for you they will want you to take possession.
well i do have to go places. i have 2 ulocks. anything can be broken into. yes i live in a building that housed several bike theives and their customers. my area is very bad for this. at home bike is inside but i do have to go to shops etc. no driving. yes i cant afford to keep replacing bikes. on a pension
Old 03-17-23, 03:38 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by rapattack
well i do have to go places. i have 2 ulocks. anything can be broken into. yes i live in a building that housed several bike theives and their customers. my area is very bad for this. at home bike is inside but i do have to go to shops etc. no driving. yes i cant afford to keep replacing bikes. on a pension
Read my post again. I see no need to repeat myself.
Old 03-18-23, 09:28 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Read my post again. I see no need to repeat myself.
no we have exhausted that conversation. lets leave it
Old 03-22-23, 11:21 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Can something like this be installed in a ebike?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKEw466
I have had a hidden GPS tracker for years that's not like this. wasn't meant for a bike. appreciate some advice. I have opened the part when all the leads are and did some stuff so this is not an unknown world to me
Sure, provided the bike can supply appropriate power to the device and you can find a suitable mounting location that the signal can get out (i.e. not surrounded by metal). Might want to consider something with its own battery that then recharges while the bike is powered on though, such as the T-Mobile SyncUP Tracker or other similar device.

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Apple iTag ?
No such device.

If you mean the AirTag though, that's not a GPS tracker and tends not to provide exact location since there's usually a lag between when it's seen by an iphone and when the phone's location syncs to Apple's servers. It can easily show the AirTag location being a couple houses away from the actual location. Plus it would alert the thief to its presence if he is an iphone user.
Old 03-25-23, 08:20 AM
rapattack

Originally Posted by gpburdell
Sure, provided the bike can supply appropriate power to the device and you can find a suitable mounting location that the signal can get out (i.e. not surrounded by metal). Might want to consider something with its own battery that then recharges while the bike is powered on though, such as the T-Mobile SyncUP Tracker or other similar device.

No such device.

If you mean the AirTag though, that's not a GPS tracker and tends not to provide exact location since there's usually a lag between when it's seen by an iphone and when the phone's location syncs to Apple's servers. It can easily show the AirTag location being a couple houses away from the actual location. Plus it would alert the thief to its presence if he is an iphone user.
Oh that looks ok but t-mobile is american and i am in australia. i had a pendant tracker that was hidden in the pannier rack in a case i 3d printed but i think the rain got to it. even tho it had a certain rating. ip something i dont remember. i have dissembled that but cant find a reason its not working. how would it recharge. sorry not quite understanding? i used to carry a spare powerbank as small items dont have long battery lives. i pretty much had to recharge it after every ride/day

oh yes i think i read some of that online about the airtag. yeah bluetooth doesnt cut it
Old 05-30-23, 08:10 AM
rapattack

update

I ended up installing an old cell phone and that is trackable. Ofcourse when indoors or battery runs out it would be useless. works so far and its hidden though not perfectly
Old 05-30-23, 07:20 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 247 Posts
If a rider must and only use an ebike, they must buck it up and inherit all risks and responsibilities attached.

It sucks. That's life.

I have ebikes. When I use one, I don't bother locking it up. It follows me into stores, starbucks, etc.

When I know I will go to a place where I can't do the above, it's my daily commuter I use.

Theives are here reading bf. Go ahead and provide intel on how to better steal your ebike.

Old 05-30-23, 07:46 PM
rapattack

Originally Posted by soyabean
If a rider must and only use an ebike, they must buck it up and inherit all risks and responsibilities attached.

It sucks. That's life.

I have ebikes. When I use one, I don't bother locking it up. It follows me into stores, starbucks, etc.

When I know I will go to a place where I can't do the above, it's my daily commuter I use.

Theives are here reading bf. Go ahead and provide intel on how to better steal your ebike.

I don't understand this reply at all. must be a usa thing. I am in so called australia. I can't ride a usual bike as disabled. I am poor. I know all this and I think someone else said this before. I can't take inside as heavy. most shops don't allow u to bring bikes in here. just not a thing. I have all the locks etc. I live in a building full of bike thieves so yup I know their ways. bike goes inside when home
Old 05-30-23, 07:57 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 247 Posts
I can't ride a usual bike as disabled. I am poor.
The theives don't care.

Again, I meant what I wrote, which was my opinon.