Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Gas, Gashol, Alcohol or Diesel, & Alternative Powered Bicycles

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Gas, Gashol, Alcohol or Diesel, & Alternative Powered Bicycles

Old 07-16-11, 12:18 PM
StephanieS
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Love the motorino

I’m thinking of getting an EBike. Have been out to many stores in the Toronto area trying to find the best bike. Found that not all stores could answer my questions.
Test drove different bikes and scooters and realized that I need one that was safe, has lots of power and looks good. Yesterday we went out to eprider and felt their bikes are safer. They have bigger tires than most bikes and felt more solid. I later learned that their bikes are built on a motorcycle frame and the other stores couldn’t tell me that.
I couldn’t believe the difference in power in these bikes. Going back to eprider to buy my Ebike, just trying to decide if I should go for the pink one.
Old 07-16-11, 02:15 PM
MysterySandwich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys, I was wondering what you guys know about this?
https://sun-thing.com/ProductShow.asp?ArticleID=940

I wanted it for my 20" wheel BMX, I found the same kit on eBay for about $185 shipped
Old 07-16-11, 07:49 PM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those aren't ebikes as we know them, they are electric scooters and motorcycles. You will need to get a license and you can't pedal them. They feel 'safer', because they are heavier, they aren't really safer because with increase of speed comes bigger crashes (if such a thing should occur).
Old 07-17-11, 02:06 PM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
StephanieS, could you link directly to the page you are talking about? Your link goes to an electric scooter page, not electric bicycle (as the word bicycle is usually meant).
Old 12-12-11, 03:41 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
https://www.jaylenosgarage.com/motorcycles-1/phantom/phantom-bikes/#item=213414 Saw this on Jay Leno's website. This is pretty cool.
Old 04-26-12, 06:47 PM
she

Bikes: A Raleigh detour 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know if I can put the engine in the back or any where else beside the front? I stupidly bought this and even though I measured(not well I see)it won't fit. if I have to buy a new bike well it will happen but if I don't?
Old 08-30-12, 03:24 PM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a post about electric in sub-zero cold and brought up the IC alternative and then I realized I can only talk about that in this dedicated thread so I'm editing my post and moving that info here and then linking to this post from that post:

Go with a small good quality, high efficiency 4-cycle internal combustion engine such as a 35cc Robin-Subaru or Honda micro-engine that meets California level emission standards for small power equipment and mount that up to a dedicated quality, low cost, but kind of heavy bike (with bikes its: low cost, low weight, decent quality = Pick two of the three) using a gear and chain drive arrangement (Staton-Inc.com for kits, parts, or ideas to build your own) and use that during the cold weather periods preferably with bike studded snow tires. Yes, it is a gasoline burning internal combustion engine but with a modern clean burning 4-cycle engine emissions especially CO2 is directly related to how much fuel you are burning. If you are driving a motorized bicycle that gets 100 to 150 miles per gallon instead of a car that gets 20 to 30 miles per gallon you are significantly reducing your ecological footprint by several orders of magnatude. Even with the very best most efficient car you aren't going to get much more then 50 mpg so you would even then still be putting out at least twice the junk out of the tailpipe driving that car compared to such a high efficiency motorized bike set-up that gets at least 100 mpg even if you don't pedal at all if you build it right so you are still way ahead of the curve on reducing your footprint (and your fuel expedeture) especially considering that going electric doesn't eliminate your footprint since that electricity has to be generated somehow (mainly natural gas burning plants built right near the wells in my area don't know about yours). They work best in the cold if you use fully synthetic 0-40 weight "european sports car" grade oil in their little crank-case. Yes it's expensive oil but a single quart will last you at least four oil changes or more. Just give them about three minutes of warm up time at idle and you are off and running.

Don't get me wrong I really like the low noise of an electric drive and the ability to "go stealth" with it if done correctly but don't discount the possibility of going with an high-efficiency IC build as well which is still way ahead of driving a car. Although larger vehicles do have their place as well. If it's a terrible blizzard with snow-plows out on the road and you have a ways to go then on that particular day you might want to take the car. Snow plows are very dangerous to bicyclists motorized or otherwise on the road in the middle of a snow storm because they can't see you until its too late and probably aren't expecting a bicyclist to be out in that weather anyway and aren't looking for you and you can get clobbered by a snow plow from behind and scopped up with the snow in the plow and blown out the side right along with the snow ~ believe me I know.

Last edited by turbo1889; 08-30-12 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-01-12, 03:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Wonder if Aprilia's fuel cell powered Mo-ped ever got past Prototype..

I was seeing the practicality of a Derny for motor-pacing around indoor velodromes
that was hydrogen fueled and emitted water vapor for the exhaust would be Ideal ..
Old 12-20-12, 07:10 PM
ChrisRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been noticing alot of prestige car manufacturers such as Mercedes and Audi, get into the bicycle market, and designing these futuristic powered bicycles for their trade shows. Does anyone know if they are actually commercially available, or are they just concept models? They seem to have alot of money to spend on designing these space aged looking bicycles, hehe
Old 02-15-13, 09:37 PM
magic carpet

Bikes: Alex Moulton 7, Opus Zermatt/BionX 350, Epik Whistler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisRider
I have been noticing alot of prestige car manufacturers such as Mercedes and Audi, get into the bicycle market, and designing these futuristic powered bicycles for their trade shows. Does anyone know if they are actually commercially available, or are they just concept models? They seem to have alot of money to spend on designing these space aged looking bicycles, hehe

Mercedes has the Smart Ebike on the market in Toronto, but have sold next to none. I've never seen one, other than in the MB showroom and it was still the 250w, Euro spec model, The salesperson told me that buyers will get a North American spec'ed motor replacement/upgrade sometime in 2013 when it becomes available.

The Audi Ebike is not yet available here. The Volkswagon Electric scooter is not available here. The BMW eBike is an early design exercise and is not available anywhere.
Old 02-15-13, 09:53 PM
magic carpet

Bikes: Alex Moulton 7, Opus Zermatt/BionX 350, Epik Whistler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a new propane powered outboard motor at the Toronto Boat show a few weeks ago. It was so quiet the salesman had it running next to us in the booth as he explained the various features. There was virtually NO exhaust fumes!!! The fuel could be either a 20lb BBQ tank or you could stick a disposable sized, Coleman fuel can in it, which would be the ideal size if the motor was adapted for use in an Ebike.
Old 04-01-13, 08:47 AM
atomiczombie
Garage Hacker

Bikes: Too many to list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally a petrol powered bicycle with REAL V8 power...

https://atomiczombie.com/0401%20-%20combuster.aspx

The freedom of a bicycle with the power of a truck!

Brad
Old 04-15-13, 05:20 PM
flash84

Bikes: Dunlop Special

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atomiczombie
Finally a petrol powered bicycle with REAL V8 power...

https://atomiczombie.com/0401%20-%20combuster.aspx

The freedom of a bicycle with the power of a truck!

Brad
Nice bike buddy! I'll order one of those thankyou.
Old 04-21-13, 12:44 AM
flash84

Bikes: Dunlop Special

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are some talented bike builders out there!

See this:

and this:

Awesome looking motorized bike. Reference https://www.motoredbikes.com/showthre...Tire-Ale-build

Last edited by flash84; 08-07-20 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-20-14, 06:45 AM
rambomert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi friends my projects as I did in the picture what do you think you
engine= fully automatic 4stroke 100cc atv engine
chasiss=bicycle
gear=14t-44t
type= off road
Waiting for your thoughts

photoshop projects
Old 02-20-14, 07:32 AM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ATV engines are often the worst to use because they are among the most polluting and most obnoxious possible. ATVs are considered toys and people like their toys dirty, loud, and obnoxious and as such dirty, loud, and obnoxious ATVs sell better then ones with cleaner burning, quieter, and more efficient engines thus ATV engines rate among the worst polluters and often very loud and obnoxious for their size as a result of manufactures of ATVs making what their customers want.

Professional level lawn equipment motors which over the last decade or so have had a very strong trend towards clean and quiet due to their "tools of a professional" status rather then their "toy" status and they are often a much better choice as a result. Some of the better higher quality moped/scooter motors are even better choices some Japanese and European models leading the way that are incredibly clean and quiet compared to other motors of similar size and power and often with sophisticated fuel injection systems that make them run nice and smooth with good power and even better mileage.

Ultimately its up to you, but for the sake of everyone else we would all appreciate it if you chose a cleaner, quieter, and less obnoxious motor then an ATV motor.

I would suggest everyone and anyone avoid using an internal combustion motor out of something that is primarily viewed and used as a "toy" in their build. Anything internal combustion that gains a "toy" status is going to be as dirty, as loud, and as obnoxious as possible, because that is how the vast majority of the obnoxious stupid human race likes their toys.

Last edited by turbo1889; 02-20-14 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-20-14, 11:12 PM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rambomert

photoshop projects
Photoshop projects, so hopefully you aren`t already screaming down the highways on it? It looks pretty scary as is, Rambomert. Although I`m no engineer, bikes with odd designs that eliminate the downtube are already somewhat suspect in my mind. Add an engine that`s probably capable of at least ten times my power output and it sounds as warm and fuzzy as a rattlesnake necktie.

If you`re planning to build the frame, I`d think a complete triangle from heavy walled tubing would be a better starting point. If using a prebuilt frame (which will NOT be designed with that much power in mind), at least look for a beefy one and use all of it rather than cutting out the parts that get in your way. 100cc will get it rolling at close to 100 KPH, won`t it? Suspension is probably advisable too.

Says me, anyway.
Old 08-30-14, 11:06 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Aprilia made a prototype fuel cell Bike, a while ago, Gore + Aprilia Fuel Cell Bike : TreeHugger

IMO They missed the mark & should have built it to replace the old 2 stroke Derny mopeds
which are still used for motor paced Keirin races on indoor tracks .. velodromes..

It has been shown thru many ..leave the car running in the home-garage suicides ,
the CO exhaust fumes of the internal combustion engine in a confined space is not very healthy..
Old 09-08-14, 02:18 PM
nak45z

Bikes: 2012 Alchemy Ti, 2001 Litespeed Arenberg, 2019 Cannondale Trail 5, 1990 GT Performer, 1986 Kuwahara Bravo KT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what is the top speed that someone gets on one of these kits?

thanks,
Old 09-09-14, 10:52 AM
fietsbob
Banned

All depends on the final drive chain ratio of the cogs,, how fast do you need it to be? Multiple Arrest Record fast?
Old 05-05-15, 08:23 AM
delcrossv

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Steam powered trike:

.be
Old 07-05-15, 01:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Originally Posted by rambomert
engine= fully automatic 4stroke 100cc atv engine
chasiss=bicycle
gear=14t-44t
type= off road
Waiting for your thoughts

photoshop projects
Its just a Photo shop job .. too much motor for the wheel strength and geared too high to not Kill yourself .

rear Motor sprocket should be Huge , almost the size of and bolted to the Rim

I like the steam powered recumbent , a Bit weak on the Brake power though.
and holding the Propane tank in your lap is a Bit uncomforting.

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-05-15 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-10-15, 12:58 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have some general questions. Do you register your motorized bicycle?

what is general maintenance like on these things?

could you take it around the country?

anyone have experience with the cheap generic 80cc 2 stroke motor kit for ~$150?
Old 10-11-15, 11:49 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Officially, registration depends on where you live (generally by state in the US). Unofficially, I get the impression that most people ignore the law. If you go the official route, I suspect you will find that 80cc is well beyond what can be ridden as a "bicycle" in your jurisdiction. If you decide to just fake it and ignore the laws, an 80cc 2-stroke might be a wee bit conspicuous.
Old 10-12-15, 04:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

a Site sighting via the Foo section Dutchman Motorbikes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.