Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bearing cup repair

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bearing cup repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-17, 04:32 PM
Bikeninja87

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bearing cup repair

Hi,

I was hoping to find out if anyone has successfully repaired a bearing cup on a hub? Specifically a rear free hub if this helps. I took apart the hub and found that one side was fine, caged bearings as they should be but the other side had a completely mashed cage and dust cover. The bearing cup inside has been damaged a little.

I was told by a friend that it would be fine to just replace the caged bearings and put plenty of grease in but I'm not sure if I should try some chemical metal (Loctite or alternative) to seal up any pitted areas prior to replacing these parts. any ideas?......
Old 04-30-17, 05:45 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I would replace the balls (a cage is not needed) and see how it goes; no adhesive will give satisfactory results, nor will trying to polish out the pits AFAIK.
Old 04-30-17, 08:26 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
There's no practical way to repair pitted cups. Anything you fill the pits with is bound to be softer than the hardened steel the cups and balls are made of, and it'll get ground out in short order. Then it'll just be contaminating your grease and acting as an abrasive.

If you're not going to replace the hub ASAP, grease it up and ride it 'till it gets bad enough you need to replace it. It might take a while.
Old 05-01-17, 03:28 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I've heard, that a strategy is less-than-first world countries
is to pack the damaged hub with abrasive compound and new balls.
ride it a while
then completely clean everything out and repack with grease and new balls

idea being that it regrinds the damaged cups and cones
Old 05-01-17, 03:48 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Clean it out, replace the balls and lube well with grease. Unless cup and cone is excessively pitted you'll be fine. I have ridden many miles on wheels with (lightly) pitted cups and haven't noticed any ill effects besides a slightly notchy feeling when turning the axle by hand.
Old 05-01-17, 05:06 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
At least Shimano has shown a surprisingly little imagination and used the same size bearing cup in many hubs. So if you find a donor hub it's possible to knock the cup out and transplant it to the keeper hub.
Old 05-01-17, 05:58 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
I've heard, that a strategy is less-than-first world countries is to pack the damaged hub with abrasive compound and new balls.
ride it a while then completely clean everything out and repack with grease and new balls. idea being that it regrinds the damaged cups and cones
That's a way to polish (or re-polish) the races, but if they are damaged to the degree that pits extend through the case-hardening, it won't help.
Old 05-02-17, 10:14 AM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I've had DECENT luck with pitted hubs by either adding or deleting a single ball (or removing the cage and using the same number of balls the cage called for) from the bearing assembly of the pitted side. My thinking was that adding or deleting a ball would have the balls running in a different "track" than before, potentially missing the pit as they travel around the race. Similarly, bearing balls a size larger can work DECENTLY, for a decently long amount of time in a pinch.

I've never paid enough attention (it's been a while since I was head wrench at the local co-op) to note if this has a large enough impact on the OLD of the hub or the dish of the wheel to matter.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 05-02-17, 03:26 PM
Brittney

Bikes: Marin Nicasio

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess it depends on how pitted it is. I have had cages grind up on the cone damaging the cone, cleaned it out, loads of grease and ridden for aged again on that wheel.

This is a [blurry] pic of how pitted the cone looked after cleaning up

Last edited by Brittney; 05-02-17 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Pic
Old 05-02-17, 03:54 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
An old trick is to use automotive molybdenum grease. Molybdenum is a very soft metal, and it will deposit in the pits, making the bearing smooth again. On the downside, it's thick and slow...
Old 05-03-17, 02:17 AM
mtnbke

Bikes: '92 22" Cannondale M2000, '92 Cannondale R1000 Tandem, another modern Canndondale tandem, Two Holy Grail '86 Cannondale ST800s 27" (68.5cm) Touring bike w/Superbe Pro components and Phil Wood hubs. A bunch of other 27" ST frames & bikes.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cup/cone hubs should be considered disposable. Every mile on a cup/cone hub is a less efficient mile than the previous one if you can't replace the inner race.
Ñ
Sealed bearing hubs can be returned to like new every time you replace the bearings. The problem with cup/cone bearings is the pitting and galling on the inner race projects into even upgrade super hard ceramic balls and then ultimately the cup (outer race).
Old 05-03-17, 04:13 AM
xenologer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
on the other hand, [cartridge] bearings ("sealed" can refer to cup/cone as well btw, if they have seals on them)
being self contained units must use smaller bearings, which can often have a much shorter lifespan compared to a good quality, well maintained cup/cone type.
So while they're easier to replace, you'll be spending $$ doing it more often.

I also tend to see a lot of 'boutique' hubs using a poor choice of cartridge bearing -ie symmetrical deep groove bearings when angular contact bearings are more appropriate to a hub application
Old 05-03-17, 05:22 AM
Racing Dan

Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Cup and cone is perfectly fine. If they see a bit of maintenance, say once a year or every other year, they will last longer than the rest of the wheel. That goes for cartridge bearings too. No need to ever replace unless they are made of Chinese "cheese" or never see any maintenance.
Old 05-03-17, 12:21 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbke
Cup/cone hubs should be considered disposable. Every mile on a cup/cone hub is a less efficient mile than the previous one if you can't replace the inner race.
Ñ
Sealed bearing hubs can be returned to like new every time you replace the bearings. The problem with cup/cone bearings is the pitting and galling on the inner race projects into even upgrade super hard ceramic balls and then ultimately the cup (outer race).

Where does this idea come from? I have hubs with over 60k miles on them and they run fine. The loads and speeds are not anywhere high enough to make a difference in a properly maintained angular contact bearing.
Old 05-03-17, 08:24 PM
xenologer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
Where does this idea come from? I have hubs with over 60k miles on them and they run fine. The loads and speeds are not anywhere high enough to make a difference in a properly maintained angular contact bearing.
From Marketing:
cartridge bearings cost more
so they must be better, right?
Old 05-03-17, 08:27 PM
xenologer

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Ñ
This was incorrect advice.

People shouldn't just assume they know. Reminds me of Old Potatoe offering his expert opinion on what taper Mavic bottom brackets were. Then when challenged becoming adamant that he knew. He just thought he knew and he was wrong.
Old 05-03-17, 08:59 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Ñ
Originally Posted by davidad
Where does this idea come from? . . .
That's just the [il]logical extension of the "replace the balls regardless of condition because they're cheap" philosophy.
Old 05-09-17, 01:09 PM
Bikeninja87

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the advice. I have now re-packed with loose bearings and grease. I think I may plan to upgrade my wheels anyway as the last time I took everything apart I noticed a lot of dings on my wheel rims which needed sanding out as I had been getting a lot of punctures.
Old 05-09-17, 02:12 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
An old trick is to use automotive molybdenum grease. Molybdenum is a very soft metal, and it will deposit in the pits, making the bearing smooth again. On the downside, it's thick and slow...
Have you tried this with success? For all I know, in order to form a protective layer, molybdenum (grease) needs higher pressure that appears in a bicycle hub.
Old 05-09-17, 05:53 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
Have you tried this with success? For all I know, in order to form a protective layer, molybdenum (grease) needs higher pressure that appears in a bicycle hub.
It's worked fine for decades on cars, and I doubt that most car wheel bearings put any more force on the races than a bike does. Yes, I have done this with 'degraded' cones, and if not too bad, they work fine.
Old 05-09-17, 09:48 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
It's worked fine for decades on cars, and I doubt that most car wheel bearings put any more force on the races than a bike does. Yes, I have done this with 'degraded' cones, and if not too bad, they work fine.
I've re-packed pitted bearings with fresh grease and new balls, but never tried the moly grease thing. After you lube with molybdenum grease, ride for a while, do you later switch back to "ordinary" grease? Do the races look better, with pitting filled by molybdenum disulfide?

For all I know cars put a lot more load on their bearings than bicycles do. Even there, for wheel bearings, I didn't know there's enough load for molybdenum to form a protective layer.
Old 05-10-17, 03:43 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikeninja87
...I noticed a lot of dings on my wheel rims which needed sanding out as I had been getting a lot of punctures.

Huh?

Are you saying you think that you're getting punctures b/c of the rim being dinged, and that sanding the rim would prevent that?

A dinged/dented rim might be related to a puncture IF the puncture is a pinch flat.
But sanding the ding is hugely unlikely to do squat for avoiding future flats.
Running higher pressures, switching to wider tires is more likely to help with that.
Old 05-10-17, 06:33 AM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
I don't know much about its properties, but I do know that "black moly" grease is used pretty commonly in other low-stress metal-on-metal applications, especially cameras and optics, e.g. lens focusing helicoids, shutter escapements, mirror pivots, etc., including being spec'ed by the manufacturer. I assume Nikon, Leica, et al. know a thing or two about lubricants, however MoSO2 is only one component of the formulation, and that might make all the difference. The other thing is that, for a lens helicoid, you have threads that are machined to very tight tolerances and are in close contact over a very long linear extent, and which have to slide against each other with silky smoothness. Not really the same environment as a wheel bearing.
Old 05-10-17, 06:59 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by Metaluna
I don't know much about its properties, but I do know that "black moly" grease is used pretty commonly in other low-stress metal-on-metal applications, especially cameras and optics, e.g. lens focusing helicoids, shutter escapements, mirror pivots, etc., including being spec'ed by the manufacturer. I assume Nikon, Leica, et al. know a thing or two about lubricants, however MoSO2 is only one component of the formulation, and that might make all the difference. The other thing is that, for a lens helicoid, you have threads that are machined to very tight tolerances and are in close contact over a very long linear extent, and which have to slide against each other with silky smoothness. Not really the same environment as a wheel bearing.
For all I know, moly is added for extreme pressures and loads resistance. Usually recommended for sliding connections with higher loads and pressures. I have some doubts that it could cure a pitted roller bearing. Though, like they say - a man learns for as long as he lives - and still dies stupid.
Old 05-10-17, 08:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cup is in the hub.. few* are removable, the right side of a cassette wheel the whole driver can be replaced.

*Old Campag record hubs had replaceable cups. good luck finding those repair parts at this late date..

cones can be replaced, for super rare stuff,

Aaron Goss in Seattle showed a shop trick with (ideally) a lathe and a die grinder..

or a variable spreed pair of drills .. 1 rotates the cone on an axle, the other rotates the die grinder stone..

taking the surface down to the level of the lowest point of the damage..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.