Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Maiden Voyage of a 1981 Schwinn Sports Tourer

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-01-20, 07:59 PM
schundog

Bikes: Masi CXR, Trek Crossrip 3, Trek 5500 OCLV, 1982 Bianchi SS, Civia Kingfield Belt-Drive Commuter, Cannondale T700, Cannondale R600, Cannondale R800, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert, 1988 Peugeot Nice, Marin Bobcat Trail 3 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts

There are certainly better, prettier, sexier vintage steeds out there, and, like most of us, I really didn’t need another bike. But here’s what happened....

I took my cheap Mongoose Fatbike down to the local coop to have them help me put on a new cassette with a larger range. They wrestled with it for nearly an hour, getting the brakes to line up after having to widen the rear triangle. I got ready to leave/pay, and rhey wouldn’t take anything, saying I donate plenty of stuff to them. I insisted on something, and they said “WELL, you could buy this Schwinn; you are about the only big guy we know who would fit it...”. $40 plus tax, and I’m the new owner. All new tires/tubes/cables/housing; pretty hard to go wrong. It won’t get a lot of ride time, and I’ll be happy to give it to somebody my size down the road who may need a bike.

Last edited by schundog; 02-01-20 at 08:09 PM.
Likes For schundog:
Old 02-01-20, 08:26 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,561 Times in 3,763 Posts
Nice looking bike. Reminds of many Motobecanes.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 02-01-20, 08:47 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Nice looking bike. Reminds of many Motobecanes.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. That black and red is a classic combo. That is a good looking bike and not bad at $40.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 02-02-20, 07:57 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
They were probably just getting back the cost for the tires, tubes and cables. They made you an offer you couldn't refuse! BTW, the paint scheme does look like it was "borrowed" from Motobecane
Likes For cycleheimer: