Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tanner's Orchard Vintage & Steel bike ride, Peoria, IL USA, Sept 28, 2019

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Tanner's Orchard Vintage & Steel bike ride, Peoria, IL USA, Sept 28, 2019

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-19, 08:24 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
There might be something going on in WI around that time - not sure but worth paying attention to the C&V subforum just in case.

There were some noises about a C&V ride in the Mineral Point area but I don't know of anything definite as of now.
Old 10-07-19, 07:31 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
looking forward to 2020....

I'm thinking of moving the ride a couple of weeks earlier. Part of this is due to the desire to get slightly better weather (there have been a couple of instances of lousy weather, and I've only been doing this for 4 years), and possibly to fit into people's schedules better.

For now, I'm thinking that Sept 12, 2020 will be the date for the next ride. No doubt that there will still be conflicts with event that are always on this weekend, but let's see how it works.
Thoughts??

Steve in Peoria
Works for me. Putting it on the calendar
Old 08-05-20, 08:42 AM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 89 Posts

The All-British Cycling Event And Gentleman's Tour

September 18, 19 & 20, 2020 in New Brighton Minnesota

Good you aren't in conflict with that weekend. Looking forward to being a first timer at yours.

thanks,
Rick (Iowa)
Old 08-05-20, 11:44 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,373 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by rickpaulos
Good you aren't in conflict with that weekend. Looking forward to being a first timer at yours.

thanks,
Rick (Iowa)
to be honest, I'm on the fence about whether to run the ride or not.
Tanner's Orchard is currently open, but I can't imagine people will be allowed to eat anything indoors...... the indoor space is just too crowded. Maybe we can just get a donut and go sit outside?

Like a lot of places, Peoria county is seeing an increase in the number of infections. Not sure about deaths. The governor has said that if the rate doesn't start to go down, restrictions will be put in place. Not sure what those might be. Before things loosened up, groups were limited to 10 people, presuming that all were masked and distanced. There is still the presumption that groups will have everyone masked and distanced, but the groups can be up to 50 people, I think.

Personally, the idea of riding in a close group for a long distance seems like a great way to inhale whatever the folks in front of you are exhaling. I haven't done any group rides this year for that reason.

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-05-20, 12:46 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
to be honest, I'm on the fence about whether to run the ride or not.
Tanner's Orchard is currently open, but I can't imagine people will be allowed to eat anything indoors...... the indoor space is just too crowded. Maybe we can just get a donut and go sit outside?

Like a lot of places, Peoria county is seeing an increase in the number of infections. Not sure about deaths. The governor has said that if the rate doesn't start to go down, restrictions will be put in place. Not sure what those might be. Before things loosened up, groups were limited to 10 people, presuming that all were masked and distanced. There is still the presumption that groups will have everyone masked and distanced, but the groups can be up to 50 people, I think.

Personally, the idea of riding in a close group for a long distance seems like a great way to inhale whatever the folks in front of you are exhaling. I haven't done any group rides this year for that reason.

Steve in Peoria
I’ve done 5 centuries, from 2 riders to 12, several metrics and group rides nearly every weekend. Mostly since the shutdowns. We mask up when stopped, keep our distance, and wash hands repeatedly.

Keeping it smart, cautious, and so far so good.

I’ll try to make it if no conflicts. I need a venue for C&V bikes that doesn’t need hill gearing. Lately, plenty of climbing. I could use a break.

Dale is a lot faster, has worked on climbing and speed. We won’t be waiting on him, perhaps the opposite.
Old 08-05-20, 03:55 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Dale is a lot faster, has worked on climbing and speed. We won’t be waiting on him, perhaps the opposite.
hey, it's bad manners to make the ride host look old and slow.

I've sent out e-mails to some of the local guys who have been regulars in past years. It would be nice to have them show up. Jack just got his Trek painted by Franklin Frames, I believe, so I'm sure he'd like to show it off. Julian picked up a Merz recently, so I'd sure like to get a look at it. Ken has said he'll attend, so that is good.

I'm not worried about just having a small group... that's just fewer people for me to keep track of and make sure that the corn bears don't get them. Mostly, I'd feel bad if Rick or anyone else made a long drive and only got to meet me. A big reason I do these rides is to meet the other guys who love these shiny old bikes and hear their stories. If anyone else is thinking about attending, please let me/us know.

If the weather holds up, I plan to ride part of my planned route and see how Tanners is handling the issues of complying with the safety guidelines. Naturally, I'll have to do a quality check on the donuts too.

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-05-20, 05:05 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 125 Posts
I'm looking forward to it. I will be there, weather permitting. I was all set to attend last year but it rained a lot so I canceled.
Old 08-05-20, 05:16 PM
natterberry 

Bikes: ‘83/‘85 Trek 760, ‘82 Trek 614, ‘77/‘78 Trek 304, ‘74 Raleigh International

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts
I’ll be down in Kentucky for the @speedevil Bourbon and Tobacco Ride the weekend of the 12th, or I’d attend.
Old 08-05-20, 06:26 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
crank_addict is planning to come.

He can’t post because the hypocrisy that runs this forum won’t let him back until he burns a courthouse or loots a Cheesecake Factory.
Old 08-05-20, 07:31 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
crank_addict is planning to come.

He can’t post because the hypocrisy that runs this forum won’t let him back until he burns a courthouse or loots a Cheesecake Factory.
It would be nice to see Mr. Crank Addict again.
Has he offered a compromise punishment, such as eating his weight in cheesecake?? That seems like less chance of getting in trouble with the law.

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-05-20, 07:35 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by 76SLT
I'm looking forward to it. I will be there, weather permitting. I was all set to attend last year but it rained a lot so I canceled.
yeah, last year was pretty messy. I almost didn't show up! I'm hoping that mid September is a bit more hospitable, but that's really just random luck.

I'll have to try to bring one of the Raleighs, as a modest token to my suggested Retro Raleighs of Northern Illinois ride. I'm still trying to figure out where to do that. Maybe piggyback on the Pumpkin Pie ride in LaSalle/Peru? Or just borrow their route and run the ride earlier when it's not raining?

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-05-20, 08:42 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 125 Posts
yeah, last year was pretty messy. I almost didn't show up! I'm hoping that mid September is a bit more hospitable, but that's really just random luck.

I'll have to try to bring one of the Raleighs, as a modest token to my suggested Retro Raleighs of Northern Illinois ride. I'm still trying to figure out where to do that. Maybe piggyback on the Pumpkin Pie ride in LaSalle/Peru? Or just borrow their route and run the ride earlier when it's not raining?

Steve in Peoria
I'm planning on bringing my 71 lagoon blue and white Competition. If you have the Retro Raleigh ride, I'll ride the 73 Grand Sports.

I'm in Lasalle/Peru a lot. I'm in for that too if you do it. I just want to ride somewhere other than the same country roads I ride everyday.
Old 08-09-20, 07:20 PM
schundog

Bikes: Masi CXR, Trek Crossrip 3, Trek 5500 OCLV, 1982 Bianchi SS, Civia Kingfield Belt-Drive Commuter, Cannondale T700, Cannondale R600, Cannondale R800, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert, 1988 Peugeot Nice, Marin Bobcat Trail 3 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
Steve, I have thoroughly enjoyed this ride the last two years, and would love to ride it again and see you and our fellow cyclists, but I totally respect your decision either way as to run it or not. If you do, I’ll hope to be there!
Old 08-09-20, 08:11 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by schundog
Steve, I have thoroughly enjoyed this ride the last two years, and would love to ride it again and see you and our fellow cyclists, but I totally respect your decision either way as to run it or not. If you do, I’ll hope to be there!
as you know, things are constantly changing here in Illinois, but I figure we'll make a plan and hope it goes well. Heck, the weather can scuttle things too.
I hope it all works out, 'cause I really want to see Julian's spiffy new Merz!

I've made a new thread for the 2020 ride, just to keep things organized.....
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post21630576
Among other details, I've sketched out some expectations for covid-19 precautions.

Steve in Peoria