Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

CL Find - Cannondale 2000 R2000 CAAD4 Saeco

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-16-20, 06:04 AM
woofy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

I'm a bit of a Cannondale fan. it started back in the days when Cippolini was riding for Saeco and getting dis-invited to the Tour de France for antics like showing up in a toga, etc. I have been looking for a very clean Cannondale Saeco for a couple of years. I came across this one on Craig’s List and had to have a look. I traveled a long way to see it. It's honestly the cleanest example I’ve ever seen... actually, it's the cleanest 20 year old bike I've ever seen.

It's just about bone stock. It has an Ultegra group set. It also has a Shimano Flight Deck computer which is integrated with the brifters. It will only configure up to 9 rear sprockets - pretty sure that was an original add on by the original owner.

The bike looks like it might have 500 miles on it. Maybe less. The tires are Michelin Axial Pro. Spec sheets for this bike state that these were the original tires. They have virtually no wear on them. And they are not rotted or dry suggesting that the bike was stored really well. (I am not going to ride those tires.)

About the only thing that does not appear to be stock is the saddle, which I think should be a CODA Expert Road (made by Selle Italia). The seat post is supposed to be a Thompson offset. Mine's a Thompson, but not a set back. It seems possible that the owner opted to swap in a straight seat post, or it was an option in those days. A bit of a mystery there. Anyway, mostly correct and where it is not correct, it appears that the parts substituted are period parts in the same condition as the rest of the bike. This suggests to me that it was configured by the original owner at sale or shortly after.

And then hardly ridden.

One minor flaw no depicted. There is a scratch on the right side in the area of the Saeco sticker, between the logo and the S. I am actually going to see if I can get an auto detailer to fix this.

Overall a beautiful bike and a grail find for me. Almost too nice to ride. I am not much for having bikes that are not used, but on this one I’m a little torn. It’s waited 20 years to be ridden. Yet should it be at this point? Thoughts? My inclination is to ride it - take good care of it and be careful with it, but love it and ride it. If I don't, I'll have to sell it.

The wheels are known to be a bit of an issue. Not sure why. They are Open Pro with DT spokes and CODA Hubs. However, people complained endlessly in the day about these wheels going out of true all the time. Frankly, the gold or orange/yellow color is a bit much to my eye. Not a great match for anything on the bike. So I am going to true them, remove them and bag them in case I ever want to sell this bike. I will find a good set of red CXP33 or even Mavic Heliums (also anodized red) and use those.

I do have a set of Mavic Ksyrium SL SSC in silver that would be a nice match - the stickers are the right colors anyway, and they are a handsome, functional and bulletproof set of wheels weighing in at 1485g. Just the thing this bike needs to take it below 19 pounds.

CAAD4s are not known for their comfort. I might also use a slightly more modern Carbon-railed saddle, perhaps a Fizik. Thompson sells an adapter that allows use of 7x9 rails. I might opt for the Thompson setback as well. We'll see. Winter coming so I have plenty of time. I'll start with the wheels so I can get it out on the bike path and see what I can see.

Again, thoughts?

Regards,

woof!

Likes For woofy:
Old 09-16-20, 06:06 AM
woofy

A couple more...

Likes For woofy:
Old 09-16-20, 06:17 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,376 Times in 3,689 Posts
A friend has one of those. Great looking bikes.

Old 09-16-20, 06:24 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Wow. That is a very pretty Red Bike. I don't know anything about those hubs but I'll bet if you re-tension them, they will stay true for you. (Cipolini would not complain about being comfortable on his Cannondale&#128522
Old 09-16-20, 10:59 PM
amillhench
TXHC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 25 Posts
I built one of those up with period correct weight weenie parts.

It came out very light and not at all comfortable. Fun build, though!
Old 09-17-20, 08:57 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
What is the tubing? Alcoa brand Alcalyte?
Old 09-17-20, 10:59 AM
woofy

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
What is the tubing? Alcoa brand Alcalyte?
Bike spec sheet in 2000 Catalog states 6061 T6 aluminum
Old 09-17-20, 06:09 PM
schundog

Bikes: Masi CXR, Trek Crossrip 3, Trek 5500 OCLV, 1982 Bianchi SS, Civia Kingfield Belt-Drive Commuter, Cannondale T700, Cannondale R600, Cannondale R800, Centurion Dave Scott Ironman Expert, 1988 Peugeot Nice, Marin Bobcat Trail 3 29er MTB.

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 26 Posts
Congratulations! I recently found its older (1997) R800 brother, and I love

Last edited by schundog; 09-17-20 at 06:14 PM.
Likes For schundog:
Old 09-17-20, 06:48 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 311 Posts

I got this one as a "beater" from a great CL deal. I have quite a few bikes, and this one rides the best, hands down. I love how stiff it is. The geometry is flawless.
Old 09-17-20, 07:17 PM
delicious

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
I got this one as a "beater" from a great CL deal. I have quite a few bikes, and this one rides the best, hands down. I love how stiff it is. The geometry is flawless.
Really nice looking build. Did you repaint? Any more pictures?

The Saecos are cool too.
Old 09-17-20, 07:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I hate you.

...I mean, cool find!
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-17-20, 10:17 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 189 Posts
CODA hubs from that time are actually HUGI hubs from that era. Very nice and very light.
Old 09-17-20, 11:53 PM
rku615

Bikes: Currently: Tommasini Sintesi, Concorde Astore (OTW), Gazelle Champion Mondial (1979)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Congratulations! A lot of people don't have such luck... ha ha ha. Enjoy, enjoy and enjoy.
Old 08-06-21, 03:32 AM
maarten1990

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interest in redundant Coda hub and Mavic wheels

Congrats with the find, exceptionally beatiful state for a 20 year old CAAD 4! Your thoughts on setting the wheels aside sparked my interest. How open would you be to selling them to a similar original enthousiast like me?
My orange CODA front wheel hub has irreparably cracked where the spoke is fixated. Your set though would match my original 2001 Cannondale CAAD4 set up (can't upload pictures to this forum yet) perfectly. The CAAD 4 is my main road bike and the riding experience is always a thrill so I try to be as careful as I possibly can.
I was really impressed with the wheels in the images as I have been breaking a sweat for a couple of months trying to find this exact version in the Netherlands (where I live), so far unsuccesfully... If you'd like I can send you images privately.
Let me know what you think!
Best