Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ortlieb Ultimate 6 Classic handlebar bag and map

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-21, 03:58 AM
andy_p

Bikes: Saracen Skyline, Canyon Ultimate, Stanton Switchback, Cotic SolarisMAX

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm looking at my options for map-based navigation on my bike, and have spent some time fiddling with the Ortlieb Ultimate 6 handlebar bag and map carrier that I bought a while ago.

It seems that the Ultimate 6 Classic has come in two versions - the one I have has little plastic hooks on the front like this:

Older Ultimate 6 Classic

The map case looks like this: Older map case

It seems the current design of the Ultimate 6 Classic does not have those hooks, and the map carrier fastens directly onto the sides (which makes sense to me): Newer Ultimate 6 Classic + map

My question is - does anyone have the same version of this handlebar bag as me, and how do you handle map changes? I can't find an easy way to flip the map over - it seems you have to pull out the little strings on the map carrier from the front hooks every time, as well as unclip the cord at the back (which, as far as I can tell, has to pass through some loops on the back of the handlebar bag, and clip awkwardly onto some little tabs on the map carrier).

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-15-21, 05:31 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
While I can't help with specifics, my map case is an older version, but on a positive note, I can say that the ortlieb map cases really are the best. The velcro roll over system really does keep maps dry, so having to fiddle a bit is completely outweighed by how well it works overall.

despite some of the advantages of electronic systems, paper maps still have a place and are nice to use, and keeping them dry is nice too.
over the years, the plastic will discolour a bit, but still be useable.
Old 05-15-21, 06:20 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I have had the older one and no have the current"improved" model. I will say I fight with it on a regular basis as the hooks come off quite easily. I have been in contact with Ortli and have voice my displeasure. I would have thought with Germany engineering they could do better.
Maybe some type of rare earth magnets?
Old 05-15-21, 07:36 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Mine is older still... I have snaps for the map pocket and for the case top. I have been wanting to change it... I YouTube video on converting the snaps to magnets.
Old 05-15-21, 06:45 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Actually I forgot I also had the one with the snaps! When it went bad The Touring Store got me a replacement.
So is there a video of doing a magnet conversion? I could not find it.