Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cutting carbon fork, and risk of Health involved.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-30-15, 06:58 AM
pepslight

Bikes: Roussilon Westfalen. The Flintstones Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey folks me again, with another question that may be interesting for future noobs like me .

I bough some days ago a carbon frameset I now would need to cut the carbon fork because it came stock to long. On the English website I couldnīt find much about it, but on the German side I could read a lot of advice from people warning others that carbon dust and resine is EXTREMELY cancerigene , and some other really really nasty stuff. Some forums were recommending the user attempting to cut itself that he literally wears a full painter uniform (Mask, clothes, glasses).
Now I do know in my side iīm a bit maniac for this kind of stuff, iīm myself some one subject to cancer, its on my family genes.

To make it simple I will number my questions:

1: is really that Dangerous to cut carbon fork alone at home in my cellar ? or is more on a the European side extra care?

2: I looked at some bike shops, (was searching some fine hex blade). And on the go I asked if they would do it to me, they told me the could but for 30Euros, he explained that he would than have to trow the blade away due to the powder and have to take extra measures to keep every employee far from the workshop for at least 30m the time he is sure everything is safe.
Question: Is that worth to just pay 30 bucks let the guy do it and done ? (No risk of breathing or touching + he will apply some resin on the end to make it nice. On the - side he will use a heavy Hex saw with 24 tpi, and Iīm not sure they ever saw carbon fork in their lifes...), I hate bike shops I do know they have nasty methods and do often do more damage and refuse to pay, on the other hand a painter mask with full face protection would as well cost me 30Euros and I can keep it later :/, and Iīm sure to do it proper and absolutely take my time,

3: Now about the blade. I read on internet I should use at least a 30 tpi Hex blade, Iīm absolutely struggling to find it, the finest I can is 24tpi and that's already pretty slim but Im scare to brake this 150 euros fork... (The bike shop above would aswell do with a 24tpi, BUT they say the apply resin at the end.

Thanks everybody for any answer, and sorry for my English.
Best regards see U
Old 04-30-15, 07:16 AM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There is no health risk. If you're concerned, work outside. There is more risk of cutting yourself on the sharp edge of the cut tube. Use some fine sandpaper to smooth the edges. Be sure to use a fine tooth saw and some kind of guide to ensure you get a clean, straight cut.
Old 04-30-15, 07:18 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,789 Times in 2,269 Posts
I have never heard of any shop taking such precautions. Sure we use very fine toothed blades (the best is an abrasive blade) and take care not to ingest any powder. But I've never used a dust mask or gloves even. Craig Calfee has said that some workers can get sensitized to the resins but simple protective gloves solve that and it doesn't happen to every worker every time. Andy,
Old 04-30-15, 07:32 AM
pepslight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hum ok guys, I was reading on the CDC about Carbon black, (thinks is really this one on the Bike frame) they talking about using a APF filter of 5 to 10. for finding this fine blade it has been a nightmare, I just cant find it, for guide Iīm using one hose clamp. I will maybe buy this 3M particle mask but thinking giving iīm broken... Its recommended by 3m and by CDC.

Edit: I will maybe just drop it for the mask and all I do it outside and wont breath on the process...
Now for the blade is it worth to pay 10euros and get one 32TPI ??? or a 24TPI will do more than fine ? i can only get locally the 24TPI 32 only online with high delivery costs.

Thanks again.

Last edited by pepslight; 04-30-15 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-30-15, 07:52 AM
KBentley57

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5, 2015 Felt AR FRD

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
you can nearly remove all chance of dust inhalation if you use a cutting fluid while you work. Using a cutting guide is a great idea, else you'll have to finish the edge. Put some water in a spray bottle, and use moderate to low downward pressure while you cut. Keep the cut wet, it'll keep the dust down and make a smoother cut. It can take a few minutes, but the finished edge will be machine smooth.
Likes For KBentley57:
Old 04-30-15, 07:58 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Carbon black is completely different than cured carbon fiber. Carbon black is much finer than you would ever get sawing a fork.
Old 04-30-15, 07:58 AM
pepslight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Super thank you very much, I will do it. I will as well buy a proper Hex blade with 32TPi 24 its really a barbar job, i will just cut it under a unused kitchen sink and constantly let it flow, thanks again for all your patience and answer

Edit: I took as well a proper guide for cutting my carbon frame I will use a gasket holder to fix it under a water sink and pray for the best.

Last edited by pepslight; 04-30-15 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-30-15, 08:17 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by pepslight
Super thank you very much, I will do it. I will as well buy a proper Hex blade with 32TPi 24 its really a barbar job, i will just cut it under a unused kitchen sink and constantly let it flow, thanks again for all your patience and answer

Edit: I took as well a proper guide for cutting my carbon frame I will use a gasket holder to fix it under a water sink and pray for the best.
You are wasting your time. Cut it with a fine tooth hacksaw and be done with it. A wrap of masking tape around the cut line will prevent splintering of the carbon but that's all you need. Look up the MSDS for carbon composites and you will see there is no indication of carcinogenic problems.
Old 04-30-15, 08:23 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
You are wasting your time. Cut it with a fine tooth hacksaw and be done with it. A wrap of masking tape around the cut line will prevent splintering of the carbon but that's all you need. Look up the MSDS for carbon composites and you will see there is no indication of carcinogenic problems.
^ This.

I cut my carbon fork steerer in my basement with a fine tooth hacksaw. No issues, and I am not dead.
Old 04-30-15, 08:39 AM
pepslight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hahahahaha ok I will take care of it but for having a nicer cut using cuting fluids can really make it nicer.
Old 04-30-15, 08:45 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Hahahahaha ok I will take care of it but for having a nicer cut using cuting fluids can really make it nicer.
Sure, but I gotta say, I just hacksawed mine off with a 32 TPI blade, and the cut ended up pretty smooth. A fine file removed burrs and I was good to go.
Old 04-30-15, 08:49 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Again, a waste of time. All you will get is a wet mess but no improvement in the cut quality. This is a carbon composite you are cutting, not tool steel.
Old 04-30-15, 08:55 AM
pepslight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hhahaha ok than thank you, I will probably not giving all my missing components are coming in one package and in the day I will be so anxious to make my first ever ride on a carbon frame that I will skip those steps
Old 04-30-15, 09:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
US shops would not care about Employee health , the fine fibers of carbon lodge in your lungs like Asbestos , evermore to be there. an irritant, ... At best.

can you make a 100% square Cut of a round tube, freehand with a hacksaw? you are better than 99% of humanity then.
Old 04-30-15, 09:16 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
The hazards (or not) of carbon aside, be VERY sure that you measure at least twice lest you cut your expensive steerer too short.
Old 04-30-15, 09:18 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,426 Times in 1,341 Posts
Like with just about anything the dose makes the poison. If you worked in a CF factory and were cutting forks day in and day out, then there are serious health risks that need to be managed. But you're cutting only one fork, and won't be cutting another for years, so the totl exposure is insignificant. Cut the fork, drrss the end with a file or sanding block, then vacuum the dust and move on with your life.

The biggest risk in cutting carbon forks is to your head. From banging it against the wall because you measured wrong and now have a $300 ork that's too short for your bike.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-30-15, 09:35 AM
pepslight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HAhahaahhah thank you very much guys,

Thanks fietsbob I do thrust on your thinking, I will than just see on the day what its best to do.
US shops would not care about Employee health , the fine fibers of carbon lodge in your lungs like Asbestos , evermore to be there. an irritant, ... At best.
can you make a 100% square Cut of a round tube, freehand with a hacksaw? you are better than 99% of humanity then.
Like with just about anything the dose makes the poison. If you worked in a CF factory and were cutting forks day in and day out, then there are serious health risks that need to be managed. But you're cutting only one fork, and won't be cutting another for years, so the totl exposure is insignificant. Cut the fork, drrss the end with a file or sanding block, then vacuum the dust and move on with your life.
FBinNY would you maybe have a good guide, (Ar any one else) telling me how to measure and mark where to cut the perfect way . I do have the pressure plug, does it change the technique from a star nut ???,
If I got it right the pressure plug (Expanding inside the fork) comes first, and than there should be an "empty space" from about 3-4mm from the Stem or a top spacer and the top cap closing everything and compressing the whole mechanism together. ?
The way I know is: I should assemble the whole frame put the comfortable amount of spacers and the stem for me, mark as close as possible the fork from the spacer or stem (if I wonīt have any top spacers) remove the fork and from my mark use a 4mm spacers and trace another mark lower.

thanks
Old 04-30-15, 10:04 AM
HillRider

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Equating carbon composite sawdust with asbestos is absurd. The harmful properties are not at all equal.
Old 04-30-15, 10:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Ask Dr. Science https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Elpbs6kb8Ys
Old 04-30-15, 10:13 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
The hazards (or not) of carbon aside, be VERY sure that you measure at least twice lest you cut your expensive steerer too short.
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The biggest risk in cutting carbon forks is to your head. From banging it against the wall because you measured wrong and now have a $300 ork that's too short for your bike.
Exactly...
Old 04-30-15, 10:14 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Disposable hazmat suits are not that much.Wouldn't want you to get cancer from cutting 1 fork....

Last edited by Booger1; 04-30-15 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-30-15, 10:18 AM
dr_lha

I measured my carbon steerer 3 times, and then still ended up cutting it.... too long! Thankfully that was easily fixed.
Likes For dr_lha:
Old 04-30-15, 10:28 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Are you still with us?....

My buddy used to work with carbon fiber....Grew a 3rd leg in the middle of his forehead....Couldn't see it though,the balls were in his eyes.....

Last edited by Booger1; 04-30-15 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-30-15, 12:00 PM
pepslight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hahahahahah you guys made me laugh so much...

fietsbob by this are you meaning My thinking was right and its totally obvious, or simply I should try to use a magic place called GooooooGle ?

Booger1 I will do my best to avoid growing a third member in my body
Old 04-30-15, 12:44 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I recommend that you put an extra 5 mm spacer above the stem. This will allow you to place the expansion plug behind the stem for better support. Cut the stem 2 or 3 mm below the top of the upper spacer. When tightening the stem pinch bolts do not exceed 5 nm (44 inch pounds) of torque. I use 40 inch pounds.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.