Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Buying on Aliexpress

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Buying on Aliexpress

Old 11-25-19, 01:30 AM
ebow3d

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Buying on Aliexpress

Just a little heads up for those who shop on Aliexpress. I have bought more than a hundred items on Aliexpress over the last couple of years. However, I live in Hong Kong and currently China is not very impressed with Hong Kong.

All of a sudden nobody can ship the products that I have paid for to Hong Kong. Of course neither can they refund my money. I have opened disputes on their website, contacted their customer service countless times, but every time only get the assurance that my money "is safe" with them. Five months later, no refund on any item yet. Every seller suddenly need my PayPal account, even-though Aliexpress does not allow PayPal.

FWIW, I have had two China sellers on eBay try the same thing, however a simple threat to report them to eBay made both of them cough up quickly.

Both Aliexpress and eBay offer buyer protection, but it seems only eBay actually follows through.

I understand that this is obviously a result of our current political situation, and that the US is probably too big a market for them want to do the same with. But I just want let people know the risks of buying on Aliexpress.
Likes For ebow3d:
Old 11-25-19, 02:16 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Thank for the heads up. I was thinking of starting a clothing line with them but now I see that idea needs further investigation. I've always look at Aliexpress with an eye of caution and now I see my suspicions were not unfounded.
Old 11-25-19, 08:19 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Please choose ONE subforum to post your note.

I'm sorry to hear about your woes.

It is rare that I hit Alibaba, although that may give you a little more freedom to deal with vendors (who often like bulk orders, but do sell singles for large items.

Also, I hit AliExpress on occasion. They have a unique Escrow system that should refund your money in the case of a dispute, but so far I haven't needed to try that so I don't know how well it works. The items generally arrive, although not always high quality, or even with any instructions.

I've got a couple of small computer parts I'm waiting for from China. The tracking system seems to have changed a bit, so it is now listing "Customs Clearance in China", but then can vanish from tracking for a period before popping back up.

One of the big things that is popping up in the USA is regional warehouses. So, the item is held in a local warehouse, but the seller is actually Chinese. So, looking on E-Bay, the item appears to be in the USA (and it actually is in the USA), but the seller is in China. It has costs and benefits. Shipping is quicker, drop-shipped from within the USA. Perhaps easier to deal with things like batteries. But, quality control on the shipping gets out of the control of the seller.

A month ago I bought some AAA batteries, and AA arrived instead. I've placed a new order through a different vendor (but listing the same shipping origin). I'm still hoping to get my AAA batts.

Anyway, perhaps you'll see more shipping alternatives appearing between Hong Kong and China in the future.

Is it possible to track down the manufacturer for the order? Perhaps on large orders?

Have you tried ordering through Taiwan? Singapore?
Old 11-25-19, 10:31 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
Veiled political jab at China. Take it to P&R.
Old 11-25-19, 06:58 PM
ebow3d

I stay out of politics. I just find it strange that after seven years experience on Aliexpress, suddenly I have five items that the sellers tell me they cannot ship to me, and they cannot refund to an international credit card. I have had refunds in the past from Aliexpress sellers. As far as Aliexpress customer service is concerned, well, apparently my money is safe with them - just not in my account!
Old 11-25-19, 07:29 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Veiled political jab at China. Take it to P&R.
Veiled, but perhaps deserved.
They're not screwing with the person's politics, they're screwing with his money.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Likes For top506:
Old 11-25-19, 08:21 PM
CliffordK

China stops couriers from shipping STICKS & black clothing to Hong Kong amid protests

So, there are no sticks in Hong Kong, and people are forced to buy sticks on Alibaba?

No black for funerals?

Now, the umbrella ban? I can imagine the dangers.

I wonder if there is some confusion about what is allowed, and what is banned, but if you're not buying anything that China considers as part of the protest, it should eventually get through, albeit potentially delayed.

Is your money in escrow, and available to be used on the next purchase?

Old 11-25-19, 08:23 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 6,624 Times in 2,596 Posts
I'm not seeing the C&V angle here.
Old 11-25-19, 09:15 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
I buy a lot on Aliexpress. Aliexpress has refunded me, but on two of the three occasions only for half the amount.

The products in question may be worth the other half and I have saved far more on all the various cycling related products that I have purchased there.
Old 11-25-19, 09:28 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2414 Post(s)
Liked 4,374 Times in 2,086 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Parts. I have three ongoing restomod projects that have wound up requiring bits through AliExpress, as the other Usual Suspects didn't have them; e.g., a matching pair of Shimano BL-C6000 Nexus brake levers without a RH integrated shifter.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 11-25-19, 09:40 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Parts. I have three ongoing restomod projects that have wound up requiring bits through AliExpress, as the other Usual Suspects didn't have them; e.g., a matching pair of Shimano BL-C6000 Nexus brake levers without a RH integrated shifter.

-Kurt
I hope your parts are not counterfeit. https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2989...rfeit-lawsuit/
Old 11-26-19, 03:08 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by ebow3d
I stay out of politics. I just find it strange that after seven years experience on Aliexpress, suddenly I have five items that the sellers tell me they cannot ship to me, and they cannot refund to an international credit card. I have had refunds in the past from Aliexpress sellers. As far as Aliexpress customer service is concerned, well, apparently my money is safe with them - just not in my account!
As you can see, sometimes the politics come to you. Considering the political climate between China and the U.S. at the moment, I get the impression this is a lot bigger than just you. Its effecting a lot of people and a lot of commerce.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 11-26-19, 05:48 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by cb400bill
I hope your parts are not counterfeit. https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2989...rfeit-lawsuit/
If they are, they're grey market from the factory that makes the real thing, and not knock-offs. They were priced along the lines of what you'd expect for Shimano equipment and IIRC were drop-shipped by a Japanese supplier. Quality is as you'd expect - excellent.

The protective plastic also has the infamous notice to use a power modulator on V-brakes (the red insert is removable, allowing for either/or use). Shimano would do that; a Chinese manufacturer might bypass that warning (as evidenced by every e-bike share company who wound up with Nexus front roller brakes mated to Bafang motors without inline Shimano modulators).

-Kurt

Old 11-26-19, 10:28 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,067 Times in 635 Posts
i'm not seeing the c&v angle here.
+1
Old 11-26-19, 09:17 PM
ebow3d

Originally Posted by CliffordK
China stops couriers from shipping STICKS & black clothing to Hong Kong amid protests

So, there are no sticks in Hong Kong, and people are forced to buy sticks on Alibaba?

No black for funerals?

Now, the umbrella ban? I can imagine the dangers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkZ_Ra4-y2M

I wonder if there is some confusion about what is allowed, and what is banned, but if you're not buying anything that China considers as part of the protest, it should eventually get through, albeit potentially delayed.

Is your money in escrow, and available to be used on the next purchase?
I don't mind if they can't/won't ship the item that I just paid for. I do mind that they refuse to give back my money!

When the same thing happened on eBay (more than once) I got my money back, but not on Aliexpress.
Likes For ebow3d:
Old 11-26-19, 09:20 PM
ebow3d

I, and many other cyclists, often buy bike parts on Aliexpress.
Btw, not all product there are knock-offs. I personally hate fake/kock-off products.
Likes For ebow3d:
Old 11-27-19, 12:50 AM
CliffordK

Do you get a credit for making other purchases? Or is the money just locked up in limbo?

It sounds mighty aggravating as reunification of Hong Kong/China happened 20 years ago, although it apparently has maintaned a special status.
Old 11-27-19, 03:27 AM
ebow3d

Well, there is a "one country, two systems" agreement until 2047. This gives Hong Kong its own judicial and economic system, while military is handled by the PRC.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with my gripes on Aliexpress. I just wanted to make people aware of the risks of buying on Aliexpress. Mostly safe, but if/when they want, you lose.
Likes For ebow3d:
Old 11-27-19, 06:26 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Somewhere in China, a man sits at a PC, posting items for sale.

Wife: "But honey, you don't have any of those things for sale."
Husband: "That's OK, I'm in China."
Old 11-27-19, 01:00 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Say what you want about AliExpress not being worthy of C&V, but I think I've just found a perfect crank for my 1980 Raleigh Sports restomod there...

Nothing like a blacked out Nuovo Record knockoff.

-Kurt

Old 11-27-19, 02:59 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Caught up in the rift. It's unfortunate.
At least you're not a Uyghur.
Likes For rootboy: