Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Looking for replacement shifters.....

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-18-21, 04:39 PM
stephr1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts

Hope everyone is doing OK. Here in CA (West Coast, SF Bay Area, specifically where we've edged close to triple digits recently pretty much most of the COVID19 Protocol restrictions have been lifted. Have to see where that leads us

Been pretty much lurking (and an occasional snark here and there but now seeking some insight.

I have an older (1998/99) Specialized Hardrock MTB. The bike's in pretty good shape, given it's age and miles. Some time ago (10 yrs.?!!?) I replaced the original twist shifters with Shimano SL-40 series trigger shifters. On my ride this morning the spring in the rear shifter apparently snapped (verified it a while ago) and looks like I have to replace this shifter set. This model is no longer available (seen some in used condition) and am looking to buy a new set.

The system is a 3x7 and the *only* shifters I've found in my searches so far are the SRAM x.3 and Shimano SL-M310/315 (comes in 7 and 8 speed). Any recommendations on either of these or other thoughts for a reasonable solution?

Thanks in advance....cheers...
Old 06-18-21, 05:16 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
IF you have Linear Pull (V) brakes, a lot of people like these-
https://www.treefortbikes.com/Shiman...ever-Set-Black
Old 06-18-21, 05:54 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Well you can be sure the Shimano will index correctly with your current drivetrain
Can't vouch for this source but...
Shimano SL-MC40 Right Shifter 7 speed New Old Stock
Old 06-18-21, 06:48 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
In general, SRAM shifters with names, like "Attack" will work with Shimano derailleurs. SRAM shifters with numbers, like X.1 and X.3 will index correctly with SRAM derailleurs.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 06-18-21, 07:11 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
In general, SRAM shifters with names, like "Attack" will work with Shimano derailleurs. SRAM shifters with numbers, like X.1 and X.3 will index correctly with SRAM derailleurs.

In 7-9 speed, SRAM and Shimano 3-speed fronts are cross-compatible, but the rears are not. In trigger shifters I see Microshift Mezzo Thumb-Tap, Microshift TS71 Thumb-Tap. and SunRace M4. In twist-grip shifters, I see Microshift MS25, Microshift DS85, Shimano Tourney SL-RS45, and SunRace M21. Your local bike shop can get them from Quality Bicycle Products if they're in stock. Personally I favor the Microshift TS71 set, which is in stock.
Old 06-18-21, 08:56 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I’ve not used them, but if I couldn’t get vintage (at a price remotely close to reasonable) I go with M310/M315.

There have been threads on this and I recall they seem to be fine.

John
Old 06-19-21, 03:32 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
On an upright handlebar on an MTB I prefer separate thumbshifters and brake levers.

Cheers
Old 06-20-21, 07:35 AM
stephr1

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
In 7-9 speed, SRAM and Shimano 3-speed fronts are cross-compatible, but the rears are not. In trigger shifters I see Microshift Mezzo Thumb-Tap, Microshift TS71 Thumb-Tap. and SunRace M4. In twist-grip shifters, I see Microshift MS25, Microshift DS85, Shimano Tourney SL-RS45, and SunRace M21. Your local bike shop can get them from Quality Bicycle Products if they're in stock. Personally I favor the Microshift TS71 set, which is in stock.
Interesting. I would have thought they would be compatible. So, you're saying that using a SRAM shifter on a Shimano cassette (and vice versa) won't work? Do the cassettes (SRAM and Shimano) have different spacing? I've only used Shimano Cassettes. Did try a supposedly "Shimano-compatible" cassette (that I bought thru Walmart or a Walmart seller but could never get it adjusted right.

This is counter to @dsbrantjr's posting previously. Which is right?

Last edited by stephr1; 06-20-21 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-20-21, 09:23 AM
stephr1

Originally Posted by dedhed
Well you can be sure the Shimano will index correctly with your current drivetrain
Can't vouch for this source but...
Shimano SL-MC40 Right Shifter 7 speed New Old Stock
Thanks for the link...Price-wise, it's about the same as buying one of the newer sets. Given how value tends to decrease over time, I'm almost tempted. I'll have to give it some thought. Maybe do it now and worry about going to a new shifter set (or even a new bike) some years down the road.
Old 06-20-21, 09:28 AM
stephr1

Hmmm...have tried to do a "separate" post a few times and failed to get it displayed.

Anyways, thanks to all who have responded. I truly appreciate the help and knowledge people are willing to offer here.

One other question: Any idea of the differences between the M310 and M315? It looks like the M315 comes with shifter cable(s?) and the displays appear to be different (M315 has a better(?) viewing angle). Any sense of different/better shifting mechanisms (Given the model nos. my guess would be "no").?

Thanks and cheers....
Old 06-20-21, 06:40 PM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by stephr1
Interesting. I would have thought they would be compatible. So, you're saying that using a SRAM shifter on a Shimano cassette (and vice versa) won't work? Do the cassettes (SRAM and Shimano) have different spacing? I've only used Shimano Cassettes. Did try a supposedly "Shimano-compatible" cassette (that I bought thru Walmart or a Walmart seller but could never get it adjusted right.

This is counter to @dsbrantjr's posting previously. Which is right?
I'm saying using a SRAM rear shifter with a Shimano rear derailleur won't work. The cassettes are compatible, though. Regarding Microshift, I think their components are quite good, especially at the low and mid level.

Last edited by oldbobcat; 06-20-21 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-20-21, 07:01 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
I'm saying using a SRAM rear shifter with a Shimano rear derailleur won't work. The cassettes are compatible, though. Regarding Microshift, I think their components are quite good, especially at the low and mid level.
SOME SRAM shifters are Shimano compatible and SOME aren't.
Read post #4.
Old 06-20-21, 08:00 PM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
SOME SRAM shifters are Shimano compatible and SOME aren't.
Read post #4.
True. Those are the shifters SRAM made to be compatible with Shimano. Like the MRX Comp grips, these are not compatible with SRAM rear derailleurs.
Old 06-21-21, 09:19 AM
stephr1

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
To support your statement (and what helped me understand the incompatibility...I do have an engineering degree so I'm only mostly incompetent Here's a link to an mtbr posting:

Why SRAM and Shimano can't get married

Guess I'll need to either find that specific SRAM, buy Shimano (M315 or some new old stock) or start from scratch, so to speak (except that the RDer is still in fairly good condition And there aren't that many 7 speed solutions out there these days.

I took apart the shifter to see if there was anything I could do...of course there wasn't The coil spring for the down shifter return broke ~1/2" from one of the ends (looks like some kind of metal "fatigue" issue) Couldn't bend a new hook edge so it's busted (saw on another posting this is not an uncommon issue). It's mostly an inconvenience since I have to manually "reset" the lever, and only when I'm downshifting. I may try and rig up something internally or externally to solve this until I can replace it.

Thanks for all the help. Solved my problem, but not in the way I had hoped....

Cheers....
Old 06-22-21, 08:31 AM
stephr1

OK. Made my decision....

The link provided by @dedhed was an interesting consideration and would have been nice to continue using the SL-MC40. However, since I am not familiar with the company (located somewhere in Hong Kong) and they want half again as much for shipping $28 + $14), I decided it wasn't worth it. Going to SRAM was not a viable choice. Couldn't figure out which rear shifter would be compatible with my Shimano (Either 1:1 or Exact Actuation/Matchmaker compatible....whatever those last 2 mean

I really didn't want to have to do it, but I went with the SL-M315 (Set was same price as the cost of the SL-MC40 right shifter). I'll decide a few years from now to make any changes (new bike, new drive train, etc.).

Expecting the new shifters (at least, the replacement for the one that broke) by the end of the week.

Thanks again for the help. Actually learned something about shifters and shift ratios

Cheers....