Search
Notices
Juniors Racing (All Disciplines) Entry level and/or 23 and younger here's where yo can mix and learn.

Warm Ups

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-13, 09:18 PM
getaklug
Flying Ace

Bikes: '06 Diamondback Podium 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Warm Ups

Look alive juniors! We've got our own forum so let's do something with it!

What do you guys do for pre-race warmups?

I've only done one race so I'm still figuring out what I should be doing.
I just rode the rollers for about 30 minutes with my hr fluctuating from 150 to 180ish then back down to 150 and so on - I didn't really go in with a plan - then I ate a larabar and went of for my race

THEN my race got pushed back 30 minutes so I was really mad and rode the rollers some more..

Anyways- what do you do?
Old 04-04-13, 10:53 PM
jsutkeepspining
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i roll around alot. I throw in a few sprint, but over all i don't like over doing it for a warm up. An hour of z1 w/4 sprints is a good thing for a crit, 45 minutes w/ multiple balls to the wall efforts, not so much.

try this: 10-15 minutes z1 hr followed by 1 minute at a decent pace (think threshold), 5 minutes jra, repet the last step one more time, 1 30 seconds hard sprint (NOT ALL OUT JUST HARD), 5 more minutes of rest, one 15 second all out, 5-10 minutes of rolling around, stop to pee, get back on bike and ride to start line. (another 10 minutes or so).

Simple plan, not too hard, but you will get your engine running
Old 04-05-13, 10:40 AM
David Broon 
Sqrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, it really depends on the race.

For a road race, I'll just roll around on the road for ten-15 minutes, as most have a rolling neutral start.

For a crit, do what ^ Said. He's got it down.

For a tt, it's harder.
If it's <5km, I'll warm up with 45 mins on the trainer, with 35mins Z1, then 5x 30s Threshold, 1:30 easy.
For Between 5 and 20kms, I'll do the same thing, but with 3x pickups.
For >20kms, I'll do 20 minutes on the trainer, then 2x pickups.
That would be spectacular. A trail of blood and sealant.
Old 04-05-13, 10:41 AM
David Broon 
Sqrl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As well, always go onto warm-ups with a plan of some sort, even if it just is to spin in z1 for 20 minutes, otherwise you can start just riding aimlessly.
That would be spectacular. A trail of blood and sealant.
Old 04-07-13, 03:26 PM
road2you

Location: born in DC, . . . . . . . . . . . raised in MD, living in the OC. . .

Bikes: TREK 2300 carbon Frame|-&-|LEADER 735T

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
speaking of rollers, i think i may get one like this:
any thoughts on it?
Old 04-07-13, 09:54 PM
getaklug
Flying Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by road2you
speaking of rollers, i think i may get one like this:

any thoughts on it?
3 things wrong with those, plastic, parabolic, and that dumb platform.
As I said I ride rollers, definitely better than a trainer, so go for rollers, but go for aluminum drums. I ride plastic and it feels like crap, aluminum might be a little more expensive but I think it would be worth it.

Also, don't worry about falling off, the idea of parabolic rollers scares me because i think it would be better to just fall off then have your wheels sent off in the opposite direction you are heading, you might fall of and thats that, you should always ride next to a wall so you can lean on it if you feel you are going too far either way.

And that foot platform is too far back, useless. My rollers don't have a platform and it would be nice, but not necessary. Getting on the bike isn't easy and a platform wouldn't help.

I feel like I told you a lot and it may be hard to understand, feel free to ask questions, you might even want to start a thread on just rollers, there is just so much to say.
Old 04-07-13, 10:42 PM
road2you

Location: born in DC, . . . . . . . . . . . raised in MD, living in the OC. . .

Bikes: TREK 2300 carbon Frame|-&-|LEADER 735T

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by getaklug
3 things wrong with those, plastic, parabolic, and that dumb platform.
As I said I ride rollers, definitely better than a trainer, so go for rollers, but go for aluminum drums. I ride plastic and it feels like crap, aluminum might be a little more expensive but I think it would be worth it.

Also, don't worry about falling off, the idea of parabolic rollers scares me because i think it would be better to just fall off then have your wheels sent off in the opposite direction you are heading, you might fall of and thats that, you should always ride next to a wall so you can lean on it if you feel you are going too far either way.

And that foot platform is too far back, useless. My rollers don't have a platform and it would be nice, but not necessary. Getting on the bike isn't easy and a platform wouldn't help.

I feel like I told you a lot and it may be hard to understand, feel free to ask questions, you might even want to start a thread on just rollers, there is just so much to say.
you hvent lost me nor said alot, i watched alot of youtube videos, some ppl made like home made platforms, that seem to work better then whats on the one in the video above.
the rollers to me seem really fun, the other kind that you anchor your bike in seem so boring to me. this kind of roller keeps you on your toes

but i really dont have any other options, i can get this one for $75
its like this one.
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...21_-1___000000

the cheapest one ive found is for $200
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...45_-1___000000

i told 'jigga Moms' i was going to get one and she was like dont waste your money, your always on the road riding, why would you need this for.
but for $75 i dont think i should pass it up.
Old 04-08-13, 10:12 PM
getaklug
Flying Ace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If there is a deal involved, I'd go for it, you can always upgrade in the future then sell the rollers you've gotten. Before you pull the trigger check things like craigslist just to see what else is out there but don't wait for a better deal if you have a good one now. The rollers are fun and just about anyone can enjoy them and if they can fold up, they are great to bring for race day warmups.